Halcyon: On the other hand.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Violated budgies aside, does anyone know why air shifting in the Explorer wing is so audible compared to the Dive-Rite Classic wing, which is the same size and shape?

My Explorer 55 is actually a lot larger then a DR Classic. I don't remember if you are talking about a 55 or not though. This size difference could have something to do with it. It could also be that the new Halcyon wings have a thinner tube behind the neck. The shifting of the air could now have more of a venturi effect speeding up the transfer. Heck it could be because of the Cordura inner bladder just being moved around. Who knows?

metridium once bubbled...
Violated budgies aside, does anyone know why air shifting in the Explorer wing is so audible compared to the Dive-Rite Classic wing, which is the same size and shape?
I'm not sure why but from my POV it is nice to have the auditory indication.

JamesK wrote...
My Explorer 55 is actually a lot larger then a DR Classic. I don't remember if you are talking about a 55 or not though.
Yes, both wings are 55lbs, though the older one is a Classic-clone, not truly DR.

JamesK wrote...
It could also be that the new Halcyon wings have a thinner tube behind the neck. The shifting of the air could now have more of a venturi effect speeding up the transfer. Heck it could be because of the Cordura inner bladder just being moved around. Who knows?
Good points.

The differences in effect really stand out. I used to dive the Classic-clone with an STA in tropical waters (ergo hoodless). Never really heard the air shifting in it, but the shifting in the Explorer is quite loud, even through a coldwater hood.

Could it be that diving the DR-clone with an STA prevented the volume of air-shifting experienced with the Explorer?

Just got back from Cozumel and the air shifting in the 18lb Pioneer is quite loud too.

Why this even warrants discussion, however, is beyond me.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Just got back from Cozumel and the air shifting in the 18lb Pioneer is quite loud too.

Why this even warrants discussion, however, is beyond me.

Roak
Because I've never noticed it with my 36lb Pioneer or my 55lb Classic-clone, and I'm wondering why that is.

Also because it first appeared while I was using the autodump on my drysuit and the rear dump on my wing. From my experience with wings, it shouldn't have done that, so I feared a potentially catastrophic leak.

Now that I know it's apparently normal, I have no concerns. Maybe reading this will save some future diver a few tense moments, though.

:)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...that way I can know that it is happening and how much is being transferred.
Wouldn't you already have that feedback from the change along your lateral axis?

Back
Top Bottom