Halcyon Prouduction, DIR, and ironic facts of life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you "innocent" if you are a shop and pick up a line that has such a pricing policy? Or are you a willing participant?

As for why pricing enters into it, its simple - you, Detroit, and others seem to be willing to give a manufacturer a pass on the argument that they "can't control their dealers and their actions", but when those very same manufacturers DO control their dealer's pricing, you give them a pass on THAT too!

Its the dripping hypocrisy of this double-standard that drags the priceing issue into it.

Either manufacturers (including Halcyon, which has one of the more rabid pricing policies among manufacutrers) get a pass on BOTH, and are expected to enforce NEITHER conduct or pricing, or they should be expected to enforce BOTH, with EQUAL zeal.

What astonishes me is the number of the people willing to give a pass not only to independants but also to direct employees, while at the same time considering the iron-fisted pricing enforcement to also be ok.

You gotta admire his persistence though...he just reads our drivel and keeps right on arguing. Kind of like a deranged Energizer bunny...

I'm not giving anyone a pass on anything.

This discussion had NOTHING to do with pricing. It was a customer service issue.

You are so fixated on this pricing thing that you can't see past your anger to post something relevent to the issue. It's always got to go back to price with you. As Roak said above, it's getting really old. Some of your points are quite valid, but when you get smacked in the face with it a number of times, you learn to duck.

You've hijacked this thread into a pricing collusion issue. That's not what the original poster had a problem with, was it?

Genesis once bubbled...
Are you "innocent" if you are a shop and pick up a line that has such a pricing policy? Or are you a willing participant?

As for why pricing enters into it, its simple - you, Detroit, and others seem to be willing to give a manufacturer a pass on the argument that they "can't control their dealers and their actions", but when those very same manufacturers DO control their dealer's pricing, you give them a pass on THAT too!

Its the dripping hypocrisy of this double-standard that drags the priceing issue into it.

Either manufacturers (including Halcyon, which has one of the more rabid pricing policies among manufacutrers) get a pass on BOTH, and are expected to enforce NEITHER conduct or pricing, or they should be expected to enforce BOTH, with EQUAL zeal.

What astonishes me is the number of the people willing to give a pass not only to independants but also to direct employees, while at the same time considering the iron-fisted pricing enforcement to also be ok.

was JJ.

He brought up Halcyon in general, which opens the door.

As for the customer service issue, as I've pointed out its amazing how Halcyon's ability and expectation in policing that among their dealers is subservient to their expectation in policing the FTP list..... and this is ok with some folks.

That was the gist of the point, and it is perfectly valid to point it out.

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh! :bonk:

When I first got here, I read about this diversunion thing and thought it sounded like an interesting idea. I even signed the petition.

Since then, I've only wondered how to remove my name from anything related to Genesis. He's kind of like the Catholic Church. He does more harm for his own cause than any "collusionists" could ever hope to accomplish.

I'd PM him my personal info and ask to be removed, but I'm afraid that would draw even more of his attention my way.

In fact the original poster, JJ, did open with a mention of a service issue. In fairness to his thread perhaps this discussion about manufacturers' pricing policies could be split out so it doesn't look like a rip solely at JJ et al.

I'd really like to explore this accusation of pricing "collusion" further, and hopefully get some input from the folks who are actually involved in running the industry, rather than basing our discussion on assumptions, suppositions and wishful thinking as it has been so far, with the possible exception of Mike F.

Genesis argues eloquently, and in fact probably is right about some parts of it, but I wish he'd see that his zeal taints the credibility of much of what he argues. I'd like to try to get him to take a deep breath, step back a pace, and then start again without the sweeping inclusion of anyone and everyone in the biz as a baddy. I know enough LDS's personally to say that they're not all evil greedy bastidges. In fact I can honestly say that I don't personally know anyone in the business that I would classify as a crook, or a collusionist. By and large, they're just regular folks trying like hell to make the shop work, and with no huge amount of success. The business is damned tough for a little guy. Overhead and low purchasing power eats up pretty much any chance he has of making a buck, or at least more than a buck. In fact, in many cases these folks have to have an outside job to subsidize the dive biz.

I'd be interested in hearing what some experienced shop owners and instructors have to say about the profit potential in the different departments (retail sales, training, gas fills, service and warranty work) given the existing conditions under which the majority have to work today. Ideally it would be enlightening to find out what margins most small shops work on for gear, air and training. My suspicion is that if folks knew the real numbers and the true profit potential for the little guys they'd realize that this is the wrong pony to flog. You're trying to get blood from a stone here.

But that leads us to the manufacturers and distributors. What kind of inside dirt can we get on them. Will any be willing to cough up some honest numbers on their retained dollars. It may come as a surprise to some consumers who aren't familiar with manufacturing and distribution to see how much it costs to support the infrastructure of the business. JJ alluded briefly to it in one of his posts. From his comment one can infer that significant price reductions at that level would have a serious effect on the product that reaches the end user. Easy enough to refute that point, but perhaps there are some realities here that even Genesis hasn't uncovered with his investigation. The actual hard cost of manufacturing is only a fraction of the product cost by the time it's in the consumer's hands. And the costs continue to mount after the sale.

Anyway. I shouldn't be trying to argue all my points here. I think this issue of distribution and pricing is worth some discussion, if for no other reason than that I'm selfish about having new toys. If we drive the LDS's out of business, then who's gonna buy the new product? Rumour has it, although I'm not aware that it's been substantiated (another point for discussion and revelation), that companies like LP don't always buy from the manufacturer but rather from distributors and even other dealers. One can only assume that they don't pay one hundred cents on the wholesale dollar. Therefore, how long will manufacturers continue to research and develop new gear if they can't show their investors a reasonable return on investment. Following this train of thought we will eventually have a bunch of divers with no gear. The mind boggles at the possibilities for DIY here.

There. Somewhere in that mess I tried to make reference to service a few times, and kept the P-word lower case. Perhaps there's not enough interest to pursue this here and that's okay. Genesis and I can chuck rocks by email if we have to. 8)

JohnF

Some never will, apparently.
I see that most everyone was very surprised that JJ posted, as was I. This thread (and board) has pretty much gone the way of most, a complete wasteland where fewer and fewer people remain that are willing to discuss an issue at hand, without presenting an agenda. People with true knowledge, experience and conviction toward improving the sport of diving simply grow weary of redundant arguements and just begin to ignore such things as mailing lists.
That is a pity, because the internet can be a valuable resource, or it can be quite dangerous to someone just getting into diving.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
I've seen pictures of cave divers with long hair. It seems that long hair might cover up tank valves, or pose an entanglement possibility.

Would it be possible for a long-haired diver to get his hair caught in the propeller of a scooter? I have this picture in my mind and its not pretty.
Reference:
The Hazards of Long Hair, Loose Clothing and Jewelry
Rotating shafts, moving machinery & other objects in industrial operations can unexpectedly "bite" you much like the creatures in the wild. Train employees to reduce the occurrence of these types of injuries:

How loose clothing can lead to tragic accidents

Why jewelry should not be worn at work

Why long hair must be controlled to prevent injuries

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom