hand assisted back kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody, this is a great read, and I really like the fact that some could question conventional thinking and others could answer, all with sweet reason and good-natured civility.

BoulderJohn and Lynne have convinced me - I am going to learn the back kick, even if it kills me.
Mike, practice the back kick while diving the Main Wall at La Jolla Shores. How else are you going to be able to make friends with the blennies and yellowfin fringeheads? :D

Most importantly, understand that your muscles have never really done this sort of thing. They will at first be uncoordinated, and they will at times seem to be beyond your control.

One of my side gigs is as a kung fu instructor, un-natural leg movements are a specialty of mine :)

The videos were great. The lack of this skill is probably the one thing keeping me from becoming full cave.

Henrik, I love you! I've been looking for ways to convey the muscle actions for proper horizontal trim to students . . . but I hadn't thought about putting them on an exercise ball.

My pleasure :)

At first I had the ball too "high" on my body - around the belly area. By rolling a bit forward and putting the ball more under my hips I avoid straining my lower back and at the same time get a good feel for the slight tension needed in the glutes to keep my hips from flexing. I think the balance ball works better than say a coffee table for exactly that reason.

I'm working on balancing without using my hands as I think that may help me get a better feel for what horizontal should feel like. But generally when practicing kicks I support/stabilize with my hands on the floor.

Henrik

you don't need to be able to back kick to become a full cave diver :cool2:
That depends on your instructor, now doesn't it? :D

GUE included?

no
gue not included.
with other agencies (read: MOST of them) you can pass a cave class without a back kick. with gue (and UTD too I assume) you can't even TAKE the class without a back kick.

no
gue not included.
with other agencies (read: MOST of them) you can pass a cave class without a back kick. with gue (and UTD too I assume) you can't even TAKE the class without a back kick.

Thanks! Good thing I have no current cave aspirations.

Back
Top Bottom