Harness crotch question, weight belt over or under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens if you need to doff your rig underwater and your weight belt is over your harness? Also a good reason to carry much of the weight needed to sink your undergarments.

I wear my weight belt under. No fastex buckles as I use a scooter and failure points there could be a really bad thing. Coming up in a kelp forest I snagged my weight belt buckle and cut it loose. It was hanging by my crotch strap as we performed out safety stop and I resolved the issue once at the surface, so yes someone, me, has had a weight belt come loose at depth. I have also doffed my kit underwater to clear an entanglement.

Im not uncomfortable with the weight belt under the crotch/waist strap it's just hard to fasten the crotch/waist buckle properly over the weight belt as they both sit on my hip. maybe I should reposition

How tall are you? Most divers have their Bp/W waist strap a bit above their hip bones, so it's not conflicting with their belt.
You should be able to touch the top of your backplate by reaching over your shoulder. Maybe your shoulder straps should be tightened to raise the plate. Just make sure you can still fit a loose fist under them.

If you're on the short side, perhaps you could see how a small backplate would suit you. I think most are marketed for divers 5'3" and below. Otherwise I guess you'll be putting your weightbelt over the crotchstrap.

Check out this guide on how to fit a Bp/W
http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/hogrigging.shtml

Weight belt under harness.

It's not that hard to ditch. Open buckle, pull on buckle, it slips around my waist easily. I know this because I've tried it while wearing a lot of cylinders.

...and it fits soooo much better since it is able to fit into the narrow section of the waist above my hips.

All the best, James

What happens if you need to doff your rig underwater and your weight belt is over your harness? Also a good reason to carry much of the weight needed to sink your undergarments.

I wear my weight belt under. No fastex buckles as I use a scooter and failure points there could be a really bad thing. Coming up in a kelp forest I snagged my weight belt buckle and cut it loose. It was hanging by my crotch strap as we performed out safety stop and I resolved the issue once at the surface, so yes someone, me, has had a weight belt come loose at depth. I have also doffed my kit underwater to clear an entanglement.

What would happen if a fastex buckle broke on your crotch strap during a dive? Ignoring the fact that it would be extremely unlikely to fail DURING a dive, what would the consequences (or "really bad thing") be to you and your scootering? Would it represent a danger or an inconvenience?

When I first went to a BP/W I played around with the over/under issue. I was difficult to put the belt on over as the wing and plate got in the way. In the end, I deleted the crouch strap from my rig and have absolutely no problem (but I only dive singles). More than one way to skin a cat.

Everybody I dive with that uses a weight belt wears it under their harness. I don't need a weight belt with doubles, and I do with some singles. I always wear my belt under my harness.

Having said that if it is desired to wear the weight belt *over" the harness here's an easy way to don the gear.

1) Put on the weight belt just snug enough to keep it from falling off.

2) Put on your BP&W, but leave the crotch strap and waist belt open.

3) Reach around to the bottom of the back plate and find the fixed end of the crotch strap.

4) Pull around one side, i.e. around your right or left, *Not* between the legs.

5) pass the end of the crotch down through the waist belt from top to bottom at the front (or just to the side)

6) Pull the crotch strap down and back around to the back on the same side you wrapped it around to start with.

Now your crotch strap is *under* the weight belt at the rear.

7) Pass the crotch strap between your legs and pass it up between the weight belt and your body.

8) Close the waist belt crotch strap combo as normal

9) Snug up the weight belt.

It works, and it's easier than it sounds, but most will resort to leaving their weight belt under their crotch strap after they learn how easy it to ditch it from *Under*

Tobin

Last edited:
When diving (wet) with weight belt I usually loop the crotch strap around the tail end of the weight belt. The crotch strap still serves its purpose and if the weight belt does have cause to be released, including apres dive a flip of the buckle and the crotch strap slides of the tail of the weight belt.

Diving dry with a DUI Weight&Trim I just rig the crotch strap back to the harness waist strap in the normal matter since it's irrelevant to ditching.

A basic slider & Fastex set makes the 1 inch strap very configurable.

Pete

Under... I believe you will figure out soon enough as to why...!!!

lee

What weight belt? :D

In principle, I am personally more concerned about losing weights on a dive - and the consequent buoyant ascent - but that's because of the depth/duration of my dives. I've seen many divers lose weights and have significant buoyancy problems, but only once been in a situation in 20 years where I needed to ditch weights for a casualty.

For those who dive infrequently and within NDLs, then having easily ditchable weights is going to be the priority. That said, any diver who is well trained and competent should be able to ditch (or assist another ditching) weights that are beneath a crotch strap. The process (open waist harness, pull off crotch strap, ditch belt) isn't any more complicated or time consuming than ditching two integrated weight pockets etc...

Roll to your side and let it drop, no crotch strap there.

If I happen to be vertical, I take fdog's advice.

Bob
--------------------------------------
There is more than one way to skin a cat, but the cat never does like it.

Back
Top Bottom