Have you been denied a dive because of the lack of paper dive log (w/ signature)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when traveling never beeen asked for a log book. 9 out of 10 times the only c-card shown is mastercard or visa.

Almost always asked for c-card...been asked for aow many times... never asked for a dive log

I haven't had anyone ask to see my log book and only when I bought tanks at a shop did anyone ask for c card. I am a fairly active diver so in our dive community am known and so even when I signed up for wreck no one asked to see my log book to prove recent cold water experience. On boat dives they just ask cert level and how many dives you have so that if being insta buddied they can pair you up with someone with equivalent experience.

I was going to say the same thing. Requiring an AOW card for an advanced dive is typical, and holding this against the Dive Op is unreasonable.

That may well be but when one has more diving experience and more dives than the op one is talking to and have already done the dives the op is running, many times it does seem bit unreasonable.

Never been asked to show a dive log. Good thing ... with nearly 4,000 dives it'd take up a lot of luggage space.

FWIW - the signature thing is purely PADI. Most agencies don't require one, since your log is more for your benefit than someone else's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Never been asked to show a dive log. Good thing ... with nearly 4,000 dives it'd take up a lot of luggage space.

FWIW - the signature thing is purely PADI. Most agencies don't require one, since your log is more for your benefit than someone else's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I could be wrong but I believe the only signatures PADI requires are the instructor's for a course. And that doesn't matter if the shop you're dealing with (for another course or a charter) doesn't even look at your log. When there is a requirement of like "40 logged dives" to start the DM course, there doesn't seem to be any description of what that is--Solo dives OK? Buddy dives with no signature? Computer logs OK?

I could be wrong but I believe the only signatures PADI requires are the instructor's for a course. And that doesn't matter if the shop you're dealing with (for another course or a charter) doesn't even look at your log. When there is a requirement of like "40 logged dives" to start the DM course, there doesn't seem to be any description of what that is--Solo dives OK? Buddy dives with no signature? Computer logs OK?

That whole "minimum number of dives" thing is a whole 'nother conversation. I've watched new divers down at our local dive sites go do five or six dives in a day ... each consisting of 20 minutes sitting on the bottom ... in order to get their numbers up so they could begin their DM training. What it does is help produce some real incompetent DM's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well if you have to do X "Adventure" dives for AOW course, then I expect you'd have them logged and signed in order for it to count. I've dives to 90 feet and dives after 9 pm in my subsurface log, I wouldn't try to get an AOW instructor to count them as "Deep" and "Night" resp. "Adventures". And besides, I didn't do the math thing on the deep ones, I just photographed fishes. (Oh wait, that's "Digital Underwater Photographer Adventure", I got that one too.) :D

I've watched new divers down at our local dive sites go do five or six dives in a day ... each consisting of 20 minutes sitting on the bottom ... in order to get their numbers up so they could begin their DM training. What it does is help produce some real incompetent DM's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Somebody should turn their tank valves off. At least they'd get a training opportunity out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom