help i.d. this scubapro computer. is it any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be the first digital recorder, titled the Scubapro Diving Recorder. Frank Worthwein, VintageFrank on this site, wrote a book titled 50 Jahre Scubapro, Der Atemreglerhersteller for the German audience (he resides in Germany). In it he describes the Scubapro Diving Recorder for the year 1988:
Die eigentliche Sensation kommt dieses Jahr aber aus Japan. Mit dem Scubapro Diving Recorder (SDR) bietet Scubapro ein elektronisches System zur Wiedergabe des Tauchgangprofils an. Das System besteht aus dem Aufzeichnungsgerät, einem Wiedergabegerät und einem Drucker/Plotter von Seico.
Translated by Google:
But the real sensation comes this year from Japan. With the Scubapro Diving Recorder (SDR) Scubapro offers an electronic system for displaying the dive profile . The system consists of the recording apparatus, a reproducing apparatus and a printer/plotter of Seico.
"Seico" may be the Germany spelling of the company we know as Seiko. He has a photo of the entire package with the plotter, an instruction book, some software (it appears) and the recorder, and also two examples of readouts on page 85 of the above book. You might want to contact him via PM here to talk a bit more about it. It was apparently gone by 1990 when Scubapro came out with the DC-11 dive computer.

By the way, with this device as I currently understand it, you would still need a set of decompression tables to be safe. This simply records and plots the dive profile.

SeaRat (John)

Last edited:
2u7ylp1.png

This may be the first digital recorder, titled the Scubapro Diving Recorder. Frank Worthwein, VintageFrank on this site, wrote a book titled 50 Jahre Scubapro, Der Atemreglerhersteller for the German audience (he resides in Germany). In it he describes the Scubapro Diving Recorder for the year 1988:Translated by Google:
"Seico" may be the Germany spelling of the company we know as Seiko. He has a photo of the entire package with the plotter, an instruction book, some software (it appears) and the recorder, and also two examples of readouts on page 85 of the above book. You might want to contact him via PM here to talk a bit more about it. It was apparently gone by 1990 when Scubapro came out with the DC-11 dive computer.

By the way, with this device as I currently understand it, you would still need a set of decompression tables to be safe. This simply records and plots the dive profile.

SeaRat (John)
Thanks John, I knew if it got posted in the vintage site one of you guys would know what it was, I got curious as to what is was so I posted it there. Thanks again.

Ah... very cool. Once again the cloud brain does its work. Mystery solved.

So what did it turn out to be? A digital console? It sounds like it's kind of 1/2 a computer. Recording of dive profiles but no calculation of NDLs, right?

R..

While I was researching this electronic console, I found this Proceedings of the Validation of Dive Computers Workshop on the Rubicon Foundation's website. I think all divers who use dive computers in leu of decompression tables should read this over to get an idea of these advanced computers, and their limitations. Follow the link, then click on the link on the bottom of the page to download the proceedings paper. Here is the description:
The publication of the Proceedings of the Validation of Dive Computer Workshop is cosponsored by NTNU and the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority. The symposium was convened by the Baromedical and Environmental Physiology Group of NTNU on August 24, 2011, at the 37th Annual Meeting of the European Underwater and Baromedical Society in Gdansk, Poland.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom