Help me choose fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissBubbles205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good Morning Fellow Divers

I need help picking out a good set of fins. I was certified almost 2 years ago and I am just now getting ready for my first real dive in Jamaica this July. I purchased some cheap promate ones just to get me through my classes to make sure it was something I would enjoy.. so now that I've purchased all my other gear, it's time to get good fins. :eek:)

ScubaPro seems to be my go to brand.. I have the LadyHawk BC and the ScubaPro MK25/s600.. I would like to get pink on the fins but looking for quality over looks of course.

I was looking at the Cressi Frogs, Scuba Pro Jet fins, and the Aeries Velocity x3's.. but of chose I am open to any suggestions. Will be doing salt water and fresh water dives.

Jet fins are fast and take more strength to kick. good against current but you need to be strong.

split fins are easier but you need a different kick to get any power out of them, longer and stiffer is better :wink:

The SP paddle fins are a compromise, they use a normal kick to go a little faster (power) but are very flexable so not as much as a jet.

short split fins like the SP are very easy but only use in no current areas. sort of like bare feet.

IMO

Hmm... Okay. I don't want any that are going to strain my legs terribly bad.. I am trying to get my legs strong again but these cheap promate ones put a terrible strain on my knee's.. (Thinking that has a lot to do with the lack of snowboarding skills I had a couple of years ago).. so maybe the Paddle Fins are my best bet? I want to make sure it's a comfortable dive, I already have issues equalizing my ears.

The cressi frogs come in pink ...
Oh and they are really nice. You can use them with many different kick styles as your techniques develop and diversify.
They are a paddle fin that flexes in the middle, providing optimum forward thrust/minimizing wasted energy.

Scubapro Seawing Novas, easy on the knees and plenty of propulsion...and they come in PINK!

1368665408816-278376498.jpeg

All the fins I have used are on here...

My experiences:

Cressi Frog Plus -- very soft fin, relatively inexpensive, comes in a lot of colors and is easy to use for a more casual diver. I personally felt they were too soft to get any considerable power behind should I need to. But a major pain in the butt to don and doff. I hated those clips when suited up in full gear and a 7mm wetsuit.

ScubaPro Seawing Nova -- very comfortable, easy on the knees, with plenty of power. Easy to don and doff, and is a great general purpose fin. Only drawback is their length causes me to silt a bit more than I'd like to in tight environments. I like them so much I have a black pair and an InstructOrange pair on order for when I'm DM'ing. I don't like to penetrate wearing these. For penetration, I use...

ScubaPro Jet Fins -- basic fin, hard rubber, but your legs will work a LOT more. I don't like these for long swims, but if I'm dropping right in on a wreck I love them. They're shorter than my Novas, stiffer, and I'm able to avoid silting up enclosed spaces much better. Highly recommend purchasing spring straps for them... this is my next purchase.

Scubapro Seawing Novas, easy on the knees and plenty of propulsion...and they come in PINK!

1368665408816-278376498.jpeg

For Recreational dives, I HIGHLY recommend Seawing Novas. Very powerful, flexible and not a lot of strain on the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion, ANY fin you get to get spring straps for them. Make donning and doffing so much easier. I don't have many dives, but had the normal straps on my fins at first and hated them. Switched to spring and just love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom