Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes! I just re-read the original post "Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife" and realized that you're NOT trying to trade your Smaller Wife for a BP/ Wing.... I feel better now.

Thanks to both @tbone1004 and @uncfnp for taking the time to write everything out and expalin things.

@uncfnp, having never dove from a boat I'm not sure what you mean about slots for tanks? I do understand about pinch flats.

Yikes! I just re-read the original post "Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife" and realized that you're NOT trying to trade your Smaller Wife for a BP/ Wing.... I feel better now.

After all this, I'm getting ever so close though....:)

having never dove from a boat I'm not sure what you mean about slots for tanks? I do understand about pinch flats.
I knew it sounded awkward when I wrote it but I don’t have the correct terminology.

On some boats there is an area behind the bench that sits lower then the bench and has sections to hold individual tanks. This helps keep the tanks stable in sporty seas. When the diver gears up or returns from a dive they put the tank into this section, so now the base of the tank is below the level of the bench. This puts the plate closer to the bench. If the tank is short, like my HP80’s, that can make for vey little distance between the plate and the edge of the bench, risking the wing getting caught between the two.

I have read of someone bringing a small wood block to put under the short tank on such boats

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is following or does so in the future, here's the sizes of each small bp

Halcyon - 14" x 9.25"
Oxycheq - 13.1" x 10.25"
Deep Sea Supply - 13.125" x ??? (but I don't think the width is as important)

With that said, if I did get a small bp, what would be the optimal wing? As @Ayisha pointed out, I don't want her to be in a small bp/ and the wing be some monster?

Hi Rob, it might be worth noting the length of the respective wings in your list.
The Halcyon wing is 25" long.
The Oxycheq wing is 23" long fully inflated.
From the pictures, the UTD and xDeep wings are not much longer than the plate.
Does anyone know the length of the Deep Sea Supply 30 lb wing?
Having asked that, having more than one attachment point, as those systems may have, can really customize the kit for your wife.

Understood, which is why DSS plate is still in the running. If i did go that route and picked up 2 setups, what size wings should I get? I dont know the difference between the Taurus or the LCD. I would "think" 35lb would be good for me, 30lb would be good for her.

The size of the wing should be based on your rig, not the size of the person, within reason. A 40 lb wing is for doubles. The standard size wing for a single tank is up to 25 - 30 lbs, even for larger people. So a 25 - 30 lb wing would be suitable for both of you, like the DSS LCD 30. She would have a small bp and you would probably have the regular bp if you're of fairly average size.

It's too bad that the DSS doesn't come in Aluminum. It's great for travelling as it's lighter, and ensures your wife won't be overweighted depending on where you dive (warm/cold/salt/fresh water), the type of exposure protection (none, shorty, full, thickness) she wears, and the type of tanks (AL, HP, LP, composite) she uses.

The size of the wing should be based on your rig, not the size of the person, within reason. A 40 lb wing is for doubles. The standard size wing for a single tank is up to 25 - 30 lbs, even for larger people. So a 25 - 30 lb wing would be suitable for both of you, like the DSS LCD 30. She would have a small bp and you would probably have the regular bp if you're of fairly average size.

It's too bad that the DSS doesn't come in Aluminum. It's great for travelling as it's lighter, and ensures your wife won't be overweighted depending on where you dive (warm/cold/salt/fresh water), the type of exposure protection (none, shorty, full, thickness) she wears, and the type of tanks (AL, HP, LP, composite) she uses.

I was thinking of going with VDH 35# wing for the both of us. I've read it's pretty streamlined and I like its price point. I can't remember its dimensions off the top of my head. Any pros / cons to that setup? DSS plate with the VDH 35? I have read the VDH is a lot like the oxycheq and they mount similar, and I've read the oxycheq works well with the DSS plate.

Edit: I've also read the VDH 35# is only but a hair bigger than the 23#.

Hi Rob, I'm not very familiar with that wing, other than the good reviews on here. Just ensure they'll fit together and you're good to go. The standard spacing between the bolts is usually 11'.

The only concern with 35 lbs of lift isn't it's size per se, it's the more complicated management of the air bubble in the wing throughout the dive. Like a drysuit that's a little big, there's more air to manage. If you're not overweighted, you won't be wasting your gas adding/releasing air to stay neutral, and it should work well for you both.

For Sale - wing and back plate

There's a small (we think) kydex plate you could see if still available. Good deal IMO.

And to answer the question about a VDH 35 on a DSS plate see below. Fits perfectly and you don't have to completely remove the cam bands to remove the wing. Just undo the buckles and your good to go. I am 99% sure the cam bands slots on a small plate are the same spacing. (Mine is a large) And a pic of the Large plate for scale .

20180716_215721.jpg

20180716_215824.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom