Help With The First Bp/w Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . Additionally, I don't use canister lights - as my dives just don't require these...

If you are taking Fundies in recreational gear configuration, lights are not required. To earn a Tech Pass, yes, then you need to have a primary light.

Are there any books apart from the original "DIR" to read re setups etc on the subj?

The gear configuration information on GUE's web site and other "DIR" web sites is all you really need. Sure, there are books, like Doing It Right (which everyone agrees is a bit dated), and Dress For Success. I see that the PDF of Doing It Right is now included with the Fundies course materials you get when you register for the course.

Yep, looks like I'll either talk to the instructor of will meet before to go through the gear.
By no following the 100% I do mean the minor (I hope) things - like I do like to have my transmitter on to record my air consumption data. Obviously I don't use as main source of data, but still AFAIK is not really DIR. Additionally, I don't use canister lights - as my dives just don't require these...

I have to say these comments are really useful - I guess I've done to many PADI courses to get used for LDS to sort out everything during the course (hence my initial idea re sidemount - one of the instructors has told me I just need 2 side Drings on the BCD to do the course),,,

Are there any books apart from the original "DIR" to read re setups etc on the subj?

No caniter light is totally fine for a rec pass.

For wireless transmitter, I think you can leave it on, but you have to be able to turn off the pressure reading. One of my teammate did just that with a Suutto Viper. The Viper can still track consumption, but not display pressure on your wrist unit.. Because one of the class objective is to track your assumption with your brain. So from time to time, between exercises, instructor will ask you for your pressure, you are expect to look at time and depth (average depth), and reply with your pressure. Then you confirm it by reading your SPG. But do ask your instructor about that, or at least bring a HP port plug to the class in case you are required to take it off.

Thank you all for the contributions! I'm quite surprised almost no one vouched for the Infinity rig - which makes my choice easier =)

I guess one of the last questions here re Fundies - I'm just curious what is the equivalent in other agencies (in terms of "limits", not actual value and skills) - AOW + Nitrox, Rescue?

Inifinity isn't the best choice for fundie. If you go the H route, just get the eclipse and save some money. Between DSS and H eclipse, they are both high quality. You pay more for Eclipse, but you also get a few more pieces, many think those extra pieces are useful, which I don't disagree, but nonetheless, you get them, so price alone isn't apple to apple comparison IMO.

I think the main difference is the band of the plate and STA. If you like the plate to be flat as possible, without STA, so the tank is as close to your back as possible, then DSS is a better choice. If you prefer steeper band and STA, where tank will be further away from your back, then H is a better choice. I personally prefer the later because it helps prevent my head hitting 1st stage.

Thank you all for the contributions! I'm quite surprised almost no one vouched for the Infinity rig - which makes my choice easier =)

I guess one of the last questions here re Fundies - I'm just curious what is the equivalent in other agencies (in terms of "limits", not actual value and skills) - AOW + Nitrox, Rescue?

DSS gear is good gear and you will like it during your Fundies course.

In terms of limits the Fundies course has its training standards with limits within them. But both the Fundies, Rec and Tec are not really the restrictive nature with limits such as OW and AOW course. For me the Fundies (I took both) were more of a paradigm shift as to how I approach diving. You will learn, buoyancy, gas management and dive planning...to the extreme. As you develop your abilities as a "thinking diver" you can set your limits responsible.

Have fun with your BP/W and Fundies course.

. . .

Of AOW, Nitrox and Rescue, only AOW comes with what one might call "limits" (and as has been pointed out many times before, they are in reality just recommendations). But moreover, it is quite possible that after completing Fundies, you will set limits for yourself that are more conservative than what other agencies recommend for a diver who completes AOW, etc. It's almost a paradox, since one might think that after completing Fundies they are a "better" diver than after completing AOW.

Nitrox is an integral component of Fundies, so yes, I would say that to the extent other agencies' recreational Nitrox comes with limits (e.g., less than 40% oxygen), they are pretty much the same as what Fundies teaches. Part of the GUE system is using "standard gases." GUE teaches 32% Nitrox as a standard gas, so the training focuses on 32%. Is 32% a "limit"? I wouldn't call it that. It's just the standard recreational gas.

Rescue teaches an entirely different set of skills. What "limits" could Rescue possibly entail? There is a minor component in Fundies relating to accident prevention, accident management, etc., but it is no substitute for what is taught in Rescue. A good Rescue course could nicely complement the Fundies course.

I will clarify a question a bit - when I dive with a new dive center I have to show a number of cards- the rescue to confirm that I can dive 30m (or deep dive for 40m), nitrox card if I want to dive with it (and I always do), wreck if I want to penetrate etc... So I was just wondering what cards can i ditch having the GUE one =)

Another equipment-related question - are camband weight pockets DIR compliant?

PS: I am treating Fundies as a skill development and a switch to DIR practice. Being Rescue with quite a few specialities I'm comfortable with the limits =)

I will clarify a question a bit - when I dive with a new dive center I have to show a number of cards- the rescue to confirm that I can dive 30m (or deep dive for 40m), nitrox card if I want to dive with it (and I always do), wreck if I want to penetrate etc... So I was just wondering what cards can i ditch having the GUE one =)

Unfortunitely, you should NOT ditch any of the PADI's cards. IMHO, a fundie graduate is a much better diver than the combined of OW, AOW, nitrox, drysuit maybe a few more specialties. But the world is NOT familiar with GUE. The card isn't widely accepted as PADI's, I have been denied divng nitrox showing my GUE card in Thailand. I have seen a GUE instructor got denied renting a drysuit in Monterey by showing a GUE instructor card. When I showed fundie card in Hawaii, they automatically assumed it was equivalent to PADI OW, grouped me with 2 fresh out of OW diver ... Unfortunite, but the it is what it is. So do carry your PADI cards, at least AOW and Nitrox on vacation.

Another equipment-related question - are camband weight pockets DIR compliant?

From my experience, camband weight pockets are OK. They are inexpansive, so just get 2 and bring with you to the class anyway. It is a great tool to help weight distribution if needed.

PS: I am treating Fundies as a skill development and a switch to DIR practice. Being Rescue with quite a few specialities I'm comfortable with the limits =)

I am in agreement with Lorenzoid. After fundie, you are likely to adjust your personal limit. What you consider OK now, you may not do afterward without further training.

So I was just wondering what cards can i ditch having the GUE one =)

None. A Fundies card is pretty much worthless. The Fundies course is FAR from worthless. But the card itself may not get you in the door of a dive center.

As Aaron said, relatively few dive centers around the world are familiar with GUE. Also, keep in mind that an OW certification from some other agency is a prerequisite for Fundies. Fundies is not a substitute for a basic OW certification. Fundies teaches someone who is already OW certified what the GUE system is, and how to dive according to the GUE system.

GUE does have a course called "Rec 1" that is GUE's version of an OW certification course, designed to take a person with no prior experience and teach him how to dive. While Rec 1 may very well be the most wonderful OW course available, the downside is that a dive center may not recognize a GUE Rec 1 card, as relatively few dive centers are familiar with GUE.

It's possible that within a few years more dive centers will recognize a GUE Fundies or Rec 1 card. But for now, I would not count on it. Bring your OW card from another agency if you want to ensure a dive center will allow you to dive with them.

Just to continue on the subj: I have decided to go with DSS and have ordered the SS + T17.
Yesterday I have received the parcel (thx for a quick turnaround Tobin) and I must admit I was rather surprised - the whole box was smaller than the one from my macbook =)
I was initially quite worried re assembling the rig (being my first BP/W), but took me less than 15 minutes to get it sorted. It meant to be the day of surprises - when I've tried on it was like there was nothing on your shoulders - very comfortable and light. Desperate to try it in action this coming Thursday!

Few questions re harness:
1. How tight should the rig sit - should there be reasonable freedom or it should be extremely tight.
2. How much harness should I cut off? Is it fine to leave say 10-15cm extra just each side?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom