Here we go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randolphscott:
I was tempted to get the DSS but decided to support the lds instead. Doesn't the DSS STA cam strap have a compensator-type mechanism that helps keep the tank tighter somehow? Is it a rubber bushing or something like that?

Here is the shot from the back of the wing showing that rubber piece.

WingBack-lil.JPG

Michael

mwhities:
Funny that you say that. About the second or third time of "almost" finishing it, I realized they were poking out. :| So for the third or fourth time, I had to take it all off and redo the d-rings and then redo everything. The first time I tried, I forgot the inner tubes. :|

Michael
Hi. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're supposed to stand out. :) The clearance from the webbing that the bend out gives them makes it easier to clip things off to them. That's why they're bent... otherwise, we'd just use plain D rings.

Take a look at the main shot on DSS' home page to see:

hogrigsqsm.jpg

It's one of the more common mistakes when setting them up the first time, so don't feel bad... you have a LOT of company.

Hmm, your inflator is centered in the wing. Mine's on the left, like this. Also a close up of the bent d-ring.

Pardon the pet hair...

Notice the 6lbs of lead in the STA. With the SS bp, leaded STA, plus weights bags on the cam straps, I wear 30 lbs, and only 10 lbs in a weight belt.

Attachments

• IMG_2003_1.jpg
    IMG_2003_1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2005_1.jpg
    IMG_2005_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 73
CompuDude:
Hi. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're supposed to stand out. :) The clearance from the webbing that the bend out gives them makes it easier to clip things off to them. That's why they're bent... otherwise, we'd just use plain D rings.

Take a look at the main shot on DSS' home page to see:

hogrigsqsm.jpg

It's one of the more common mistakes when setting them up the first time, so don't feel bad... you have a LOT of company.

And see? All this time I was thinking about safety. With them "poking out" it could catch onto something. Crap... not pool today. Maybe tomorrow!

Thanks for the LATE heads up. :wink:

Michael

Randolphscott:
Hmm, your inflator is centered in the wing. Mine's on the left, like this. Also a close up of the bent d-ring.

Pardon the pet hair...

Notice the 6lbs of lead in the STA. With the SS bp, leaded STA, plus weights bags on the cam straps, I wear 30 lbs, and only 10 lbs in a weight belt.

DSS puts their inflators in the center. I had asked Tobin about that as I was considering putting it to the right. He said all that I had to do was twist the inflator if I let it hang on the right.

I'm not sure if I'll need any weight or not. Since some people illustrated that I do infact STILL have the d-rings on wrong... I can't get in the pool today. :wink:

Michael

Don't let the d-rings stop you. You are probably going to adjust the harness anyway, so you might as well try it and make the adjustments when you fix the d-rings. Also, put on the backup tire inner tubes while you have the whole thing apart.

You can also mark the webbing with a paint marker to find where you had the keepers ect... but after a while the webbing will tell you (creases) where it was

do it easy:
Don't let the d-rings stop you. You are probably going to adjust the harness anyway, so you might as well try it and make the adjustments when you fix the d-rings. Also, put on the backup tire inner tubes while you have the whole thing apart.

hehe I'm not going to let some redoing of the harness stop me. I was just being a butt head. :) I do need to add that. I read somewhere on SB that someone did that because they kept breaking them. How many should I add to each side?

Michael

Ben_ca:
You can also mark the webbing with a paint marker to find where you had the keepers ect... but after a while the webbing will tell you (creases) where it was

The few times I did redo it is, the creases where already there to help guide me through getting it back together.

Thanks,

Michael

Don't worry about the drings. I have mine set up the same way with them laying flat when not in use. Even with heavy gloves clipping off has not been an issue and they do look a little cleaner that way. I now havew two of the DSS rigs because the last one I ordered for a customer was returned because he did not get his wife's permission to buy it before selling his old bc. Oh well. Works out for me since I now no longer have to change over for doubles. Singles on one rig, doubles on another. And with the way their plates are set up I dove my rig on good friday with single steel 95, ss plate, the 8 pound bolt on plates and dropped the weight on my belt from 10 lbs(first time I dove this configuration in dry suit) down to 4. And I could still probably go a down more. Plus not having to use an sta keeps the tank and valve closer to my back and easier to reach. Keep playing with it Mike, You'll love it once it gets tuned in to where you want it. Reason I had no problem taking back the one that was returned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom