High rated dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speaking of fake reviews,misperceptions, and misleading webpages, back in the mid 90's I worked for the dive operation that sold from Pro-Dive (the big retail shop in the middle of town, on Salas and 5th).
The retail shop looked fantastic, as it was chock full of shiny,new (but mostly mediocre and over-priced) dive gear (and surely still is,LOL), but the actual dive operation we worked for was owned by a husband/wife that were hustlers of the first order (that outright killed that golden goose), but we got tons of credibility in the eyes of walk-in customers, largely because of the big nice dive store we sold from.
The boss had someone throw a website together for us, and we got a big laugh out of the claims of us having a "staff" of multi-lingual instructors, of new,top-quality gear, or fast,comfortable boats fully stocked with 02 and safety equipment, etc.etc. (all of this was mostly, or totally, inaccurate).
I did a good job of taking care of my personal students/clients, (often hiding good equipment for them,as best I could) but the operation as a whole was a complete train wreck !!! (none of this was on the website, though!!)
I've never seen a sadder pile of dive gear than when i worked for those guys ! I would bring regs back that had major leaks going on, then tie the HP hose into a knot, ID-ing it as needing repair, and seperate it from the "good" gear. The next morning I'd come in and find that they untied the hose, and put the reg back on the boat with the morning trip !!!! (I could go on all night,LOL!)
Over the ensuing years, I'd worked for a couple much better operations, and when minding the store trying to sell the passersby, (which used to be really easy to do down there), I eventually started running into tons of folks that wished they'd booked with us rather than the cattleboat operation they were booked with, after I'd offer them smaller boats and groups, for less money, but then they'd lament that they purchased to their whole package on the internet, and couldn't back out.
I found over time that the internet was just killing walk-in/street sales, because everybody up here has become brainwashed into doing everything imaginable on the interwebz.....just cuz it's.....the interwebz.
It got where virtually nobody flew down, checked into the hotel, grabbed a beer, and then walked around shopping for the best deals, anymore.
In the Olden Days, you could mind the store on Friday-Saturday evenings when the planes were coming in, and lock in enough certs and resorts to fill most of your week (as well as put some divers on the boats).
But the internet just absorbed all those FTF sales, and i would point out to folks that what they bought, was whatever the dive operation wanted them to see.
I could show them our solid gear, and 6-pack boats, and guarantee them small groups, and trips to the distant,deeper southern reefs, rather than just Santa Rosa and Paradise/Chankanaab, just so it could get back in time for the afternoon trip. But, even if they wanted to (and many did), they were locked in to that package they bought from home.
Eh, good times ! Sorry for the ramble !! :D

Last edited:
How do you travel these days? You don't book lodging and diving before arrival?

I don't think you can say it's just the internet that can present false and misleading information, to show you what they want you to see. Case in point, your time with the hustlers selling out of Pro Dive. Hustlers and scammers existed long before the internet.

In fact, I think the internet has made it much easier for those who do their due diligence to avoid the lies and scams. If I want to dive with a new op I can go online and find recent diver reviews, maybe even divers who were on their boat this morning. Maybe see fresh pics of their boat, gear, facilities, and owners.

I used to be a big fan of Tripadvisor but no longer will contribute to their forums. Tripadvisor has different levels of memberships for their listed business. The more costly the membership, the more say you have in which reviews get posted. Don't like review? Problem gone, bad review eliminated. It doesn't take a doctorate in statistics to realize how bogus these reviews truly are. How is it that a dive op which has been open for approximately 15 years, a fleet of 2 boats yet has 1191 glowing reviews on Tripadvisor; while others which have more boats, longer business history and are highly rated have a fraction of that number? Sure, they may have many satisfied customers who wish to voice their accolades, but it is way out of proportion to the competition.

How do you travel these days? You don't book lodging and diving before arrival?

I don't think you can say it's just the internet that can present false and misleading information, to show you what they want you to see. Case in point, your time with the hustlers selling out of Pro Dive. Hustlers and scammers existed long before the internet.

In fact, I think the internet has made it much easier for those who do their due diligence to avoid the lies and scams. If I want to dive with a new op I can go online and find recent diver reviews, maybe even divers who were on their boat this morning. Maybe see fresh pics of their boat, gear, facilities, and owners.
We walked around Cozumel and talked to dive shops. Found one with an owner that liked to dive. I think Steve at 3P's says we were the first customers he sold. We are still sold.

Unfortunately, Trip Advisor is NOT what people think - it's all a numbers algorithm and a lot of "fake" reviews on there - but the average tourist doesn't know that.

There are shops in the top 10 or 20 that aren't even legally registered businesses or who don't even own their own boats let alone have insurance or permits! People who throw up a website and facebook page and call themselves a dive operator and have been "open" for 2 years or less, without a boat and they've already got 100+ five star reviews - in some cases more? Please!!!! TA does absolutely no vetting of businesses and doesn't even verify if they are a legally operating business. Granted, there are shops rated highly on TA who have earned their rankings - but my point is, don't let it be your all knowing guide.

Trip Advisor wasn't a thing when I started my business 15+ years ago and it wasn't a marketing tool I even used until the past few years. We had less than 50 reviews and were really far down. Then it became evident that it was a necessary evil to play the TA game - soI put the TA link on my website - but I still hate asking for reviews - just seems really slimy to me. Everyone does it now though.

At one point, we were up to #12 and were in the top 15 for quite while until one punk wrote a 1 star review about Pedro relieving himself off the back of the boat - it dropped us immediately to #40 - overnight! That was over a year ago and we are still ranked in the high 30's most days - it's an impossible climb back up unless I start getting some fake reviews out there. The other problem is that people use it to extort and hold shops hostage - for example - no showing for dives and even though they have signed a cancellation policy threaten you with TA if you dont refund their deposit.

With that said, we appreciate those who take the time to share their experience.
Hi Christi,

I could not agree more with you. Scuba operator reviews on Trip Advisor are nearly worthless. Personally, I fill out my Trip Advisor operator reviews as carefully as I fill out my Undercurrent reviews. I take if very seriously and hope people find my reviews helpful. Unfortunately, I don't think my care and experience is common. I'm far more willing to take a SB opinion over a Trip Advisor review.

Best of luck to you, good diving, Craig

At one point, we were up to #12 and were in the top 15 for quite while until one punk wrote a 1 star review about Pedro relieving himself off the back of the boat - it dropped us immediately to #40 - overnight! .

And the issue with Pedro has been resolved :rofl3:

No matter what you do some people aren't going to be happy. At the other end of the spectrum, if someone receives exceptional service it's not possible to leave more than five stars.

I used to be a big fan of Tripadvisor but no longer will contribute to their forums. Tripadvisor has different levels of memberships for their listed business. The more costly the membership, the more say you have in which reviews get posted. Don't like review? Problem gone, .

The yelp way of selling out for $$$$. Just like Homeaway and VRBO going the Airbnb rental fee route. It just used to be the listing fees, now the renters get screwed too.

I don’t post on TA anymore, after 55 reviews. I do google reviews sometimes.

And the issue with Pedro has been resolved :rofl3:

No matter what you do some people aren't going to be happy. At the other end of the spectrum, if someone receives exceptional service it's not possible to leave more than five stars.

We were promised photos if we all left 5 Star reviews on TA for a Carricou op. Photos were dreadful and video sucked. His ratings went for a crap after he left someone out in the ocean for 2 hrs after he lost them. And they posted it. Feel bad about the 5 star, he was deaf underwater and I could totally see how he lost divers. Plus my CO detector found an issue he didn’t know he had!!!

I pretty much have stopped doing reviews and surveys. Nowadays if you go to the corner store and buy a six pack of beer, they send you a request for a review. It's all too much.

Trip advisor is totally controlled.

As a previous poster stated, the reviews are subject to business interests. That is why they are all mostly high.

There was a dive shop that I was training with. Someone put a one star review up that was 100% accurate about something they did as a normal business practice. It didn't bother me, but apparently really offended the poster.

That morning, I asked the dive shop manager responsible for responding to trip advisor posts, if she had seen the review. She had not.

The review was gone by that afternoon.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom