Hold on Wait a Minute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI presents excellent considerations to bear in mind as one makes a purchase of the first diving gear, but it is no the only perspective. GDI is not wrong, nor is he right as to the timing of a purchase. I was fortunate to deal with a reputable shop ( most are) and bought gear before my first class. I did the same for my wife, and do not regret with purchase. The considerations of the kind of diving you will do, and how much of it, are of course correct in gear selection and a reputable shop can help you make the proper selection. But I am not everyone, and there are those who had a bad experience with gear purchase. I just want to add to this conversation by saying learning to dive in quality equipment fitted to me personally was a pleasure, as it was for Debbie. Not everyone who certifies is ready to spend $1800 or 2400 to get properly outfitted, I understand. However, as you plan whatever you plan to do , do "presume" the dive center doesn't care and just wants your money. Some may be that way, but most, the vast majority, are looking for life time customers, and will be a great asset in the purchase process. As to used vs new gear, I have posted a lot on that. I caution against buying used equipment unless it is a face to face transaction and the seller can document use history maintenance history, AND i have a chance to have a good tech check out the equipment before purchase. Just a thought.
DivemasterDennis

I think DiveMasterDennis has said it best. Quite frankly, I think the OP is way too negative, and assumes people are stupid (SOME are), and that dive shops are evil (SOME are). I think it scares more potential divers away, than it attracts to our beloved sport. Are there some not-so-good LDS's out there ? Absolutely. However, the LDS is a great resource for everybody, especially the social aspect. It's a great place to get questions answered, meet other divers, and LEARN. Most people, including myself, do not need to walk in to a dive shop with a "consumer advocate" telling me whats right, wrong, good, bad, etc. Again, yes there are some "not so good" LDS's out there, but then again, there are also some "undesirable" independent instructors, as well. Not saying that GDI is one of them (as they appear to have a great business model), just sayin'.

There are lots of divers who are into the toys and will buy a lot of them over the years no matter what they buy at the start. Then there are folks like me who just like to be under water. But then I don't care if I am driving a sportscar or an old plymouth as long as it is safe and runs. I just want to see the country side and go places.

I am sure OP does what he thinks is best but he has a point of view and will pick a shop that shares that point of view so not clear how wide a set of viewpoints the students are getting. But students rarely accurately know their diving future anyway so it probably does not matter.

Not that the advice of OP is not valid but it does seem like a bit of a sales pitch for his approach. But sales pitches are ok too.

I disagree. I did tons of research, here on Scubaboard, and elsewhere and purchased all my basic equipment prior to my first pool dive. That included a diveskin, wet suit, bcd, boots, gloves, fins, mask, snorkel, regulator, Air2, and computer. Most I bought at the LDS, but not the bcd, regulator, or computer. Those were online purchases at two different scuba shops. Of course, I knew that I wanted to dive and this was something I would be doing for a long time. I became familiar with my equipment very quickly, which I believe made me a better diver at an earlier stage. I still have it all except for the boots and gloves, which wore out, and the mask, which wasn't the right fit. I've added a few things along the way, too. :wink:

Our Local dive shops want you to get personal gear, but don't push other gear on OW students.

They get you hooked first, then they make the money. Like dealing drugs.

I didn't buy anything other than personal gear until I had quite a few dives, but I still find myself regularly replacing gear. Must be addictive.

Eventually this should be the model for dive instruction; it is in some dive destination areas. As long as scuba instruction is primarily a way to sell gear, it will never be uniformly high quality.

Regarding your post, if you would consider using paragraphs it would be MUCH easier to read. :wink:

Yup got it made the edits thanks

I think a point to consider is that the type of diving a diver will do over his/her career can often change. My first set of gear was a jacket, split fins, and a console tied to a retractor. I'm now in a mostly hogarthian rig.

I don't blame the shop for selling me the "wrong" gear, because I walked in with the intention of being average Joe rec diver who'll only ever see pretty fish on a 60' reef. I was tired of paying for rentals, and wanted a set to call my own. However, as my interests changed, the change in gear naturally followed.

I think it's important for a diver to recognize what type of diving they wish to do early on in their diving career, and pick gear that is best suited for those dives. However, I think it would be very unfair to bash an LDS for selling "improper" gear to somebody who simply had a change of interest. When I was working as a dive store employee, I did my very best to get people in the gear that would suit them and their type of diving - but all I had to go on was what they told me when they walked through the door. The hardest customers I ever dealt with were the ones that said "I don't know what diving I want to do - probably anything, but I know I want my own gear!" They simply could not be told to wait, and didn't care about fit/style/application, they just wanted it NOW.

Please remember that the problem doesn't always rest with the shop in these cases.

I would also suggest waiting a bit before going out and buying gear. Spend a couple of months after certification trying out different gear. Join a club, see what the member are diving. If you have more than one LDS in the area, see what they sell, try different brands. Dive gear is not cheap, so make sure you get stuff that fits well, is comfortable, and appropriate for the dives you will be doing (if you plan on doing local diving in say the north east, a 3mm wetsuit isn't going to cut it). Just take a bit of time doing it. I bought my first set of kit early on. In less than 6 months, I replaced it all. Sold some of my old kit at a massive loss. I couldn't sell my BCD and ended up leaving it in a Grand Turk dive center at the end of a ship contract. It had maybe 10 dives on it. So take your time, decide what you want. Make your first set of kit last a hell of lot longer than 6 months.

I have mixed feelings. Before my OW classes I got a BC, reg + octo, and very basic computer. My thinking was that I wanted to use the gear during instruction that I would be using after being certified. The LDS owner/instructor told me I had purchased a terrible BC that they would not recommend at all. Same with the reg setup. I still have that BC, love it, and can't find one I would replace it with. Same with the reg setup. The computer I bought was identical to the one they recommended. After one trip to Bonaire I sold it and upgraded to a Mares Icon. Nothing wrong with the original computer, I just wanted a much more visible ascent rate indicator. I liked the original computer, I love the Icon. (Note: the LDS owner panned Mares). Point - any LDS or diver will have opinions based on their own likes and dislikes. I listen to what the LDS has to say but make my own evaluation and decision. It's my life I'm risking and my money I'm spending. I also evaluate how much of the LDS's opinion is based on wanting to profit, limited exposure (they can't experience all the gear that's out there), and honest enthusiasum.

As far as buying equipment before/during/after certification - I do believe in buying some of the equipment that you are not familiar with for the class. I had been snorkeling for a ton of years so mask, snorkel, fin mechanics (usage) were ingrained. BC, reg and computer - not so much. Of the three I would say that the BC is definitely the most important. The reg and computer are (I can hear the howls now) pretty generic with respect to mechanics. The BC and it's importance to buoyancy control makes it the one thing I think every student should purchase for their course. Buoyancy control is critical and not intuitive. Moreover, every BC and BC type are at least a wee bit different in the location of exhausts, D-rings, pockets, weights (or not), the amount and trim of lift for an equivalent amount of inflation, comfort, etc. I am totally convinced that familiarity, to the point of blind muscle memory, for your kit is supreme. I dive the exact same configuration (exception insulation and weight) every time. I no longer have to think "gee where is ..." - my hand is already on it's way to grab what I need. Oh yes, did I mention that I practice?

Long story short: buy what you need to get familiar with and master it's use. Brand, model, etc. - look for the features you need and want.

Nice post GDI. I would like to expand on one item...

You can rent as needed as you travel.

I would like to add to this. If your body type is outside of the norm, then you might be better served expanding your basic purchases since rental gear may not fit you properly. More to the point, buying a wetsuit that you know fits will make your trip and diving more enjoyable.

I am 6' 9" tall and skinny. Not all rental gear is the same. A friend of mine is average height, but he was a competitive bodybuilder. Rental wetsuits did not fit him. So if you fall outside the "norm" there might be some other purchases that would benefit you.

A couple of the things the OP says seem obvious--things any non diver should logically know. On the other hand oh, OTOH--I'm learning), I wouldn't have bought that new steel 120 tank during OW class had I known about walking any distance or negotiating seaweedy rocks with that thing on my back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom