Hose Length for Halcyon Streamline P-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coinking

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a new drysuit with the Halcyon Streamline P-Valve installed. I haven't dove with it yet. The hose coming from the p-valve is really long, maybe 2 feet or so. It seems like the longer the hose, the more pee will stay trapped in the hose and not drain out through the valve, which could get messy when doffing the suit. Is that the case? Should the hose be cut to the shortest length needed based on my routing, or does the extra length not really matter? Your help is appreciated!

If I could add to my question - does body position affect the function of the p-valve? Having never used one, I'm not sure how gravity might affect the flow through the tube and out the valve.

this lends itself to that joke, but i'll refrain...

First of all it depends on your routing. many divers choose to route 'Up and over' which allows for a smooth bend in the tube (no kinking) with minimal strain on the catheter and ...attachment point. This also allows for full mobility, a strain relief for full flexibility if you will, in your suit (compared to 'straight down' routing) I am, in theory, a bit shorter than your average pee valve user, but have found no problem with the length that comes standard. I have had some petite divers choose to shorten their tube, mostly because the loop was very large on their small frames.

With regards to residual in the tube, there are a few ways you can handle this. if you close the valve before you unhook, the 'vacuum' will control it while you get your rinse solution, but then you'll have to unscrew it a bit to rinse, and might get some residual on fingers and suit leg. (thats what rinse water is for, right?)

the other way is just leaving it open at all times and then be prepared for the residual drainage (From the tube) when you unhook...

again, no matter which way you choose to do this, flush your pee tube well with fresh water and a disinfecting solution after EVERY dive (a BIG syringe is really nice for this, available at pharmacies and medical supply stores)

after rinsing with fresh water, then disinfecting, its a good idea to 'blow' through the tube which helps get rid of remaining moisture (hey, it's clean now, you rinsed it!)

now it's all clean, and for the most part dry, so the tube flopping around whilst getting out of your suit is not an issue :)

when diving with your pee valve, position really doesn't matter all that much. you are dealing with fluid in a fluid environment. in fact, what you'll find is that you can utilize it almost any position, in and out of the water. standing, sitting on the swim step of the boat, floating, swimming, etc... Please use common sense though, dive buddies don't appreciate making a puddle in the parking lot during the pre-dive brief :)

Thank you very much for your informative reply (and your graceful way of addressing some delicate matters!).

When you're unhooking you can push the p-valve hose down and drain it. You'll have your drysuit unzipped and you can adjust the routing and get it to drain out. Make sure to get it out of the tip of the cath as well. Plus you can adjust to unhook it with the connection as the highest point.

You'll only make a couple of mistakes at most before you get the process down... =)

It seems like the longer the hose, the more pee will stay trapped in the hose and not drain out through the valve, which could get messy when doffing the suit. Is that the case?

Adding a quick-disconnect fitting to the hose should add convenience and eliminate dripping when you doff the suit.

Where would you put the quick-disconnect fitting? Where the hose connects to the cath, or where the hose connects to the valve? Exactly what kind of fitting would work?

Thanks.

the 'down' side of a Quick Disconnect that has a check valve in it (as opposed to just capping it off with a nice white plug) is that you then need extra 'parts' to clean it. it lends itself to getting lazy with your p-valve cleaning routine. which leads to Kidney, Bladder and Ureteral infections which are very bad news.

For the she-p's most of us use a QD (for ease of hook up and disconnect) but with no check valve, then you can clean it easily with any squirt bottle or syringe. She-P actually has both a delrin cap and plug made specially for the acetal QD's that most of you use.

anything that reduces the 'ease of cleanability' is making things overly complicated in my book.

Also, for you guys, if you do opt for a QD, then get a handful of the plug side (the side you put on the condom cath), because you WILL accidentally throw one out when you are so relieved that the adhesive finally released your part... the she-p is a reusable system so we don't have that issue (usually).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom