How bad is it if an LDS calls you an “internet diver”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some dive shop owners just want to go out of business. Maybe they feel like they spend too much time owning a business and not enough time diving?

What kind of internet diver only has two posts on scubaboard, they were wrong.

While I understand that some LDS's do not [currently] cater to DIR folks, tech folks, etc, they do need to realize that times are changing, and if you want to stay competitive in today's market, you need to adapt your business model to what people are leaning towards these days. I personally would much much rather only have backplates/wings and regulators with long hoses as my shop's rental stock (I do have several sets), but I understand that the average diver will have no idea what the hell to do with it. If they are interested, I will teach them (hopefully even sell them a set), but I won't call them names or look down on them if they are not, nor will I accept that a DIR practitioner looks down upon another diver who chooses to dive in a "poodle" jacket and split fins. Everybody has their own way of doing things, and as long as it is safe, who is anybody to tell them it is wrong.
Back to the original question... the LDS owner is wrong. If your customer asks for a product, personal opinion on DIR, colour of 2nd stage, hose length, etc. aside, you get your customer said product or you lose the customer to the online retailer.

Here's the problem. If you go to the LDS and shop equipment, even try it on, and then leave and buy it on the net, you are not the good guy. Buy all you want on the net- from accessories to regulators and computers, but if you do, have the courtesy to do your shopping there too. That's is all I think the man was saying. But I could be wrong.
DivemasterDennis

Here's the problem. If you go to the LDS and shop equipment, even try it on, and then leave and buy it on the net, you are not the good guy. Buy all you want on the net- from accessories to regulators and computers, but if you do, have the courtesy to do your shopping there too. That's is all I think the man was saying. But I could be wrong.
DivemasterDennis

Any other industries where shopping around at various retailers is unacceptable?:shakehead:

I'd drop him/her like a hot potato---------& let them know they'll never see your butt back inside their 4 walls(lol, cuz you can always go online IF you need to buy from them)..........

Here's what I think.
Many LDS owners these day are frustrated, scared, confused, and bitter about the direction of diving and gear choices/sales.
At one time dive shops were completely in charge of almost everything related to diving and the consumer. Now days internet information flyes around freely, and many divers who have explored alternative gear and training are a direct threat to a dive shop that has not adapted.
No longer can a dive shop tell people that an overpuffed poodle jacket, split fins, or a regulator marked up over 100% is the way it, take it or leave it.
We have options and it drives them nuts.

I think he is trying to say, don't go and try it on at the LDS then go home and buy the same thing online simply because you save $5.

Hey-I did that with some Roundup I bought just yesterday---saved 5 bucks on a 1/2 gallon bottle...........See, it's not just the dive industry..:)........lol, turds created this place(the internet) so I'm gunna use it..........:)

Last week I gave him items to match price, a regulator set, backup regulator and emphasized it be black not the yellow octo. He matched the price and ordered it last week for Wednesday delivery, he did not need my card info yet. Today after getting card #, he discouraged me from getting the black secondary, because it did not come with a hose, with the same price I could get the yellow octo with hose. Since I was configuring for DIR, I explained this is what I wanted. That's when he blew his top - “this is what I do for a living, you can't change the color,........this went on for a while. Then he hung up on me. I was caught off guard, texted him back to disregard the backup and just get main reg and one secondary. He then responds “be a internet diver! I don't want to get involved in this go your own way”. Whoaa what just happened, lest than 10 minutes from a pleasant call from him getting my card # to this!

just re-reading this again ....

he was willing to order everything... but the black octo WITHOUT HOSE, cost the same amount as yellow with a hose... guy was an idiot...

i would have told you that situation that i could add a hose to the black octo for $XX -- (rubber or flex -- and how long you want the hose) --
(what LDS doesn't have some hoses??? they do break on occasion, etc)
if you agree i get the whole sale plus the extra for the hose -- or else get the reg thru me and go elsewhere for the octo you want if we can't come to an agreement on that.... that way i STILL get the sale from the regulator and don't lose the WHOLE SALE....

(i'm not an LDS or work for one --- but i did do retail sales in the years past.....)

part of a sale is better than no sale cause profit on $0.00 is still $0 (or less if you figure expenses)

and internet sales? it shouldn't matter if you're a dive shop or joe blow's hardware store down the street -- internet sales, walmart, costco, etc. can hurt your business if you let it... and you can't please everyone but you should still try to retain any possible sale you can... otherwise why are you even in business???
bad customer service will affect your sales the most because it will drive people away to anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom