How bad is it if an LDS calls you an “internet diver”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shocked2: Have not heard this before let alone one directed toward me, but I feel insulted, angry about this comment, especially after offering him business instead of going online. What does this mean?
Like Tony, I would like to know the specific context of the comment, before reacting. Apparently, based on your OP, it was not offered in a complimentary way. But, could you share specifically what was said, in the context of whatever conversation prompted it?

Like Tony, I would like to know the specific context of the comment, before reacting. Apparently, based on your OP, it was not offered in a complimentary way. But, could you share specifically what was said, in the context of whatever conversation prompted it?
Ive never heard the term "internet diver" used in a complimentary way. Ive also never head it used about an "internet shopper".
The only way Ive heard (or seen) the term internet diver used is as an insult to peoples skills and/or knowledge...

As time goes by, I see honesty, good business ethic and customer service becoming a trait of the internet dealers. LDS are gradually turning into crooks and thugs.

I think he is trying to say, don't go and try it on at the LDS then go home and buy the same thing online simply because you save $5.

Are you saying "if you try it, you must buy it"? So, how do you shop for cars?

While I agree that going into an LDS to try things on with no intention to buy there is a bit tacky, I see nothing wrong with trying things on at a retailer as long as you give him a reasonable chance to make the sale. The problem is the scuba shop business model and culture leaves very little room for price/value competition.

And the particular incident that precipitated this thread was with regulators, no trying on involved. The shop wanted to sell a regulator in a color the customer did not want an got upset when the customer declined. Just a stupid shop.

:shocked2: Have not heard this before let alone one directed toward me, but I feel insulted, ......
Why? Don't be offended.
We have tens of thousands (59,654) of "Internet Divers" that have been using our eDiving Scuba diving simulator (so far they have collectively performed 162,438 dives for a total bottom time of 27,885 hours).
Some of them use eDiving to practice with their dive computers, some use eDiving because they want to go deeper than they will never go, other want to see a dive site before getting there ... and some just want to blow bubbles when outside is snowing :D

Are you saying "if you try it, you must buy it"? So, how do you shop for cars?

While I agree that going into an LDS to try things on with no intention to buy there is a bit tacky, I see nothing wrong with trying things on at a retailer as long as you give him a reasonable chance to make the sale. The problem is the scuba shop business model and culture leaves very little room for price/value competition.

And the particular incident that precipitated this thread was with regulators, no trying on involved. The shop wanted to sell a regulator in a color the customer did not want an got upset when the customer declined. Just a stupid shop.

I'm just saying don't go in and waste a bunch of the lds's time with no intention of buying there, just trying and the go home. For example if you see a new mask that you think you will like, don't go to the lds and try it on and then turn around and go home and order it from leisure pro since they have it for $55 dollars instead of the $60 that the lds wants to charge. In my opinion it is worth the $5 difference for the convince of being able to try / hold in your hand before you buy. Now if the difference is $50 I would ask for their best price and then go buy online. Don't allow yourself to be ripped off, but give the lds a chance to earn your business. In this case if someone talked to me like the OP was talked to, they would never earn another $0.01 of my money even if I had to drive an extra hour just to get air.

Here's the problem. If you go to the LDS and shop equipment, even try it on, and then leave and buy it on the net, you are not the good guy. Buy all you want on the net- from accessories to regulators and computers, but if you do, have the courtesy to do your shopping there too. That's is all I think the man was saying. But I could be wrong.
DivemasterDennis

Although I do understand what your are getting at here, I have no idea how yiou come to this conclusion.

The OP had given him his CC #. I was right down to the final ordering process. If he got the yellow second, it came with a hose. If he went black, it didn't come with the hose. So he tried talking the OP into the yellow with the hose and the OP did not want it that way.

If the OP had wanted to give the LDS his business, he could have decided to go the way he wanted and fork out the few extra dollars for a hose. But it sounds like the LDS did not even give him a chance to do that.

I'd use that shop for nothing but air fills and give all my future business to DRIS, DGX, LP or whoever.

Here's the problem. If you go to the LDS and shop equipment, even try it on, and then leave and buy it on the net, you are not the good guy. Buy all you want on the net- from accessories to regulators and computers, but if you do, have the courtesy to do your shopping there too. That's is all I think the man was saying. But I could be wrong.
DivemasterDennis

I completely disagree, shop everywhere: internet, big box stores, LDS, craigslist, ebay...and get the best bang for your buck. If that means trying on a wetsuit at an LDS and then buying it online - so be it.

The dive shop owner must have been overly sensitive as he could not match the selection and price found online. Instead of adapting to the online trend he took it out on you. Bad business behavior. Someone who fights the online trend is unlikely to survive. In general you should forgive someone for one or two unintentional insults like that.

So, I used to work at a dive shop. They were pretty good about long hoses and bpws. They had jackets and short hoses in rental, and a few DIR setups. In class, they'd explain it to students and give them options. When asked, they'd tell vacation-only divers that they should learn in short hoses and a jacket because it's what most places rented. Most students tried both. Almost everyone that bought gear got a more DIR setup, due to the owner's bias. But if someone wanted the biggest, puffiest jacket in the store, fit the customer with a smile, and talk about pros and cons of different jackets without (much) DIR bias. I'll say that I'm not the biggest fan of that shop, and they're far from the best I've dealt with. But even they were tons better than what you are dealing with. If an Internet divert came in, they'd have an open and honest discussion about it. They'd discuss pros and cons and explain why they do what they do.

The shop near my house now (I lived literally less than a block away for a year) sucks. The owner sucks. He told me anyone diving sidemount was an incompetent, ignorant, lazy moron following Internet fads that deserved to die. Anyone diving a canister light in a cave was even worse, and was begging for death. He told me there's only one visual inspection sticker you can legally full tanks according to, and that filling tanks with banked 32% required o2 cleaning, legally. He said anyone diving a drysuit in Florida caves was a pansy and didn't deserve to be diving. He also claimed a SAC of well below 0.2 while weighing closer to 350lbs. All of this, and he encouraged his dive master candidate (no cave training) to take 10 AWFUL divers to the piano room in Ginnie with three lights amongst them. I won't even get air fills through them any more. A buddy and I are setting up a fill station to completely avoid him permanently.

My LDS is over 6 hours away and gets nearly all of my business. The business they don't get, they're not upset about. Heck, they've pointed me to other dealers with better availability of what I want.

My point? Regardless of what his personal issues or beliefs are or were, that's absolutely an unacceptable way to treat a customer. Run. Warn others.

Back
Top Bottom