How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Transpac does not have a plate, and cannot use a plate. Halcyon makes good gear. Not sure I'd say it's "far superior" to the gear mentioned.

$600 was the going rate at a dealer here. Then the guy let me know about the weight pockets and the backpad and a couple of other things I had to have. The whole set was close to $800. Can I try one out? No.

Too much monkey biz for me. I went down the road and got a regular BC.

Stu S.:
$600 was the going rate at a dealer here. Then the guy let me know about the weight pockets and the backpad and a couple of other things I had to have. The whole set was close to $800. Can I try one out? No.

Too much monkey biz for me. I went down the road and got a regular BC.
Good call on going down the street, but too bad they steered you away from good gear by trying to BS you into buying a bunch of expensive and unnecessary extras.

scuba_moron:
I was told Halycon quality is far superior, but as a layman, I can't really tell the difference.
IMHO, the only thing "far superior" about Halcyon gear is the profit that can be made by selling it to you. Their gear is outstanding, but there is a lot of comparable quality gear out there for a lot less money.

i'd actually suggest putting up an ad on the classifieds stating what you want to buy. you would be surprised at just how fast you get a response. post on scubaboard and the deco stop and you will have people sending you pm's in no time.

scuba_moron:
I about 95% certain to buy a BP/W combo. My shop recommends Halycon over the other brands (OMS, Diverite, and Oxycheqthey) they carry. I was told Halycon quality is far superior, but as a layman, I can't really tell the difference.

I'm leaning towards a Diverite transpact harness with a backplate as I plan to dive bare skin and want the padded adjustable straps. As far as the wing, I like kind of like the Oxycheq. I take it is OK to mix and match parts from different manufacturer - yes?
Halcyon is excellent gear. Truly. But it's not better than OxyCheq or Salvo, and I'd say only marginally better than DiveRite... not enough to justify the price differential, however.

I'll happily buy used Halcyon products (assuming they're in good shape), but I avoid their products new because the price is just absurd.

CompuDude:
I'll happily buy used Halcyon products (assuming they're in good shape), but I avoid their products new because the price is just absurd.
Ditto. I love my used Halcyon wing. I got it for $225 and it's worth every penny!

Yep, for $400 out the door, I have a DiveRite aluminum backplate, rec wing, hog harness, STA, everything. I basically told the guy what I was going to get from Scubatoys and he matched it. :) Then he set up the harness for me too. I had emailed him about it a few days ago and when I walked in he says "Alright, what do I need to match?"

There is a reason I go out of my way to shop at that particular store (25 miles there, 25 back...). And I'd tell you which one but he made me swear I'd never show the receipt to anyone :)

I've seen FredT mentioned numerous times in many threads but I've been unable to find a web page. How do you find out products and prices?

I'm pretty sure I have the cheapest BP/W set up that was available at the time I bought...jetharness plate and wing (DR travel wing clone) $200, harness and cam straps about $60. It's actually a nice plate, flat as a pancake, for single tanks only. Shortly after I bought my set up he raised his prices, they were really low at the time, and now I think he's out of business. For a single tank set up I'd recommend it IF you can find the plate cheap (ebay) and are willing to be limited to the dive rite travel or venture wing due to the way the wing is threaded through the cam straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom