How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because you don't know where to shop? :)

I bought tank bands, aluminum backplate and aluminum single-tank adaptor on a going-out-of-business sale for about $140. Then I bought two-hose Oxycheq wing, steel plate and harness from Samish Divers for $380, and sold aluminum backplate on eBay for about $50.

scuba_moron:
Does anyone know what's the typical dealer markup for Halycon, Diverite or other major bp/w brands.
From what I've seen of the price lists, MSRP is just about double the cost if the shop gets the better pricing. The more a shop spends, the better the pricing. I recently noticed DR raised the price on their backplates, I see all these people posting they can buy them for $65, this amazes me, I want to go look at the price list as I thought that was cost on them!

scubafanatic:
...well, just received my Oxycheq 55 lbs / dual bladder / Vertex / donut wing last week.....not cheap @ $ 700 ....... YIKES ! ...but it appears to be a very high quality item...I installed it on my harness the other day and will dive it the 1st time this coming Labor Day at the Texas Flower Gardens.

Karl
http://www.oxycheq.com/Oxycheq/Products.html
This is the list price, I won't tell you what my dive shop sold them to me for, but I am very happy
Stainless Steel BP (Medium) / $170 USD
Signature Series 30# Wing /$340 USD
Hogarthian Harness System / $48 USD
Medium Weight Pocket / $ 20 USD

Texas_Aggie06:
i think 65 is what they are getting aluminum backplates for
I paid $65 for my stainless steel Abyss backplate, but I got it at their going out of business sale.

MSilvia:
I paid $65 for my stainless steel Abyss backplate, but I got it at their going out of business sale.

i believe the person was asking about Dive Rite backplates, but that is a great deal you got. I just got a used SS and harness setup for 100 bucks. I am pretty happy about it.

Abyss 55 lb wing from their GOOB sale: $180
Used Long DSS BP: $90
Webbing from LDS: $20
Harness hardware: $25
crotch strap: $15

$325 total for me. I totally lucked out on the long DSS plate, but I also have a long FredT plate that I bought new for <$150. The harness hardware was also FredT stuff that I bought off someone on TDS. If you aren't real tall or short you can pick up a BP for $60 used.

I also have a transpac with a rec wing. So I could have saved $180 by using it instead of the Abyss wing.

hex92:
Abyss 55 lb wing from their GOOB sale: $180
Used Long DSS BP: $90
Webbing from LDS: $20
Harness hardware: $25
crotch strap: $15
good deal except for the webbing unless you are REALLY big :)

I about 95% certain to buy a BP/W combo. My shop recommends Halycon over the other brands (OMS, Diverite, and Oxycheqthey) they carry. I was told Halycon quality is far superior, but as a layman, I can't really tell the difference.

I'm leaning towards a Diverite transpact harness with a backplate as I plan to dive bare skin and want the padded adjustable straps. As far as the wing, I like kind of like the Oxycheq. I take it is OK to mix and match parts from different manufacturer - yes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom