How do Avanti Quattro Powers compare to Avanti Quattros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using a pair of Avanti Quattros since I got certified 4 years ago and I'm happy with them. I'll be in Roatan for a while and am considering getting a pair of full-foot fins so I can ditch the boots (they just don't go with my current shoes-optional lifestyle :wink:). Obvious the Quattro Powers are similar in design to the Quattros but from the reviews and threads I've seen, I'm wondering if that's where the similarities end. I've read that the Quattro Powers are stiffer, and I've read that they're more flexible (so which is it?). I've also read that Powers are good for flutter kick but are not as versatile a fin as the open-heel version. I do a lot of frogkick so I don't want something that doesn't do that well.

So what's the real story? Ideally I want a full foot version of my Quattros... Will the Quattro Powers fit that bill or should I look at something else? (I've read a suggestion that the Superchannels are more comparable to the Quattros)

I defer to anyone who's actually dived them, but here goes...

My buddy had some. 220lb, 6'1" footballer type. He loved them. Thought they were stiffer than necessary, but absolutely bomb-proof. Apparently more powerful than the Quattros, but slightly more taxing on the legs. Only problem was someone loved them even more and 'borrowed' them out of the back of his car while he was washing his wetsuit. But I guess that's 2 votes for the fins right?

But for my money get the full-foot Excels. I'm currently up to 9 other fins tried against it and the only thing to come close was a Quattro. I tried Quattro Excels vs Superchannels in full-foot and bought the Excels. They seem lightweight (flimsy even) but have proven indestructible and powerful. The thing I liked least about the Superchannels was the channel itself - the broad rubbery bit in the middle flaps on each fin stroke and 'slaps' like a sail catching the breeze.

Zak, if you're listening, thanks for forwarding my open-heel Excel query to AU. Turns out they don't range them here but it was worth a try and many thanks for your help.

Here's my experience. The Quattro Power is a great fin. It fit all of my diving needs as I was doing my DM/Instructor courses in Bali except 2. First, they are about 2-4 inches longer than the regular Quattros (everyone else had those) and if I needed to adjust my positioning in the water while doing skills it was extremely difficult and was noticed by my trainers. Secondly, they are not very nice to use in heavy current. I found them to be right in the middle on the stiffness scale but they were just a little too soft for the conditions I found myself in the majority of the time. I upgraded to a Jetfin and have never been happier. That being said, I was just in Roatan for a month and dove every day while I was there. I opted for the Quattros as my Jets were just too heavy to bring along. They are perfect for the clear, calm waters around Roatan as there really isn't much current to speak of and if you ever decide to do some freediving the extra length will help you a little. The one downside that made me wish I really had my Jetfins though were all the swimthroughs and tiny areas I found myself going into. The Quattros are really not an ideal frog kicking fin because of that extra length and you really have to concentrate on reloading the kick carefully or they tend to "catch" and pull the opposite direction. I also found that the foot pocket has stretched considerably since I first bought them and they don't fit as snug as they used too. Just my 2 cents.

The Quattros are really not an ideal frog kicking fin because of that extra length and you really have to concentrate on reloading the kick carefully or they tend to "catch" and pull the opposite direction. I also found that the foot pocket has stretched considerably since I first bought them and they don't fit as snug as they used too. Just my 2 cents.

Is that just a matter of getting used to the extra length or does it continue to require extra concentration? The last few days, I've been trying out some of the fins in my shop's rental stock; I started out with a pair of old Avanti L's, which I think are about the same length as the Quattro Powers (they're a couple of inches longer than my Quattros) and then moved to a pair of Avanti HP's that fit better. The HPs are shorter than the Ls, and while both fins took a bit of getting used to in different ways, I sorta think I liked the extra length. Unfortunately they don't have Excels, Superchannels or Quattros for me to try before I go down the street to buy (shop doesn't sell them).

Unfortunately they don't have Excels, Superchannels or Quattros for me to try before I go down the street to buy (shop doesn't sell them).

If they're a Mares retailer maybe a staff member or regular diver can loan you theirs? They must have gotten some in for someone before and most shops encourage their staff to wear high-end gear because it looks cool and encourages bigger sales. Good luck - I had the exact same problem looking for open-heels.

Have the quattro for years, great OH fin with booties. But I tried the power, and they actually felt a bit stiffer. The booties cushion took some of the stiffness away with the oh model. For a ff fin the superchannel is more comfortable. It flex a bit more, as it is less taxing on the foot. With the massive flexable channel.

I've done close to 300 dives. I'd say I used the Quattros for at least half of those and I still found myself having to actually concentrate on the reload during a frogkick. Will you get used to the length? Probably. Can you still frogkick in them? Yeah, just not as easily as others. In my honest opinion these are far better for snorkeling and freediving than for scuba.

If you ever go anywhere there is significant current you may find yourself severely disappointed with their performance. I can almost guarantee that the first time you assist with a DSD that doesn't know how to swim (this happens far more frequently than is even imaginable) and you find yourself dragging them around and doing all the swimming for the both of you, your going to seriously wish you had different fins, current or not. That was my deciding point.

Good luck on your decision and have a Monkey Lala for me.

If they're a Mares retailer maybe a staff member or regular diver can loan you theirs? They must have gotten some in for someone before and most shops encourage their staff to wear high-end gear because it looks cool and encourages bigger sales. Good luck - I had the exact same problem looking for open-heels.

Despite the fact that probably 90% of their rental fins are Mares (at least for the full footers), they don't sell Mares (there's a dedicated Mares store less than 5 mins walk down the road for that). The only Quattros I've seen at my shop are the open heel variety, which doesn't help me, since I know very well what those are like. Guess I'll go see what kind of salepitch I get when I go to the Mares shop and go from there.

---------- Post Merged at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Thanks Scubafied, that's helpful. Doesn't make the decision any easier though. I think I might need a few Monkey Lalas soon. :wink:

Here's my experience. The Quattro Power is a great fin. It fit all of my diving needs as I was doing my DM/Instructor courses in Bali except 2. First, they are about 2-4 inches longer than the regular Quattros (everyone else had those) and if I needed to adjust my positioning in the water while doing skills it was extremely difficult and was noticed by my trainers. Secondly, they are not very nice to use in heavy current. I found them to be right in the middle on the stiffness scale but they were just a little too soft for the conditions I found myself in the majority of the time. I upgraded to a Jetfin and have never been happier. That being said, I was just in Roatan for a month and dove every day while I was there. I opted for the Quattros as my Jets were just too heavy to bring along. They are perfect for the clear, calm waters around Roatan as there really isn't much current to speak of and if you ever decide to do some freediving the extra length will help you a little. The one downside that made me wish I really had my Jetfins though were all the swimthroughs and tiny areas I found myself going into. The Quattros are really not an ideal frog kicking fin because of that extra length and you really have to concentrate on reloading the kick carefully or they tend to "catch" and pull the opposite direction. I also found that the foot pocket has stretched considerably since I first bought them and they don't fit as snug as they used too. Just my 2 cents.

So what fins are you using now for scuba diving Scubafied?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom