How Do You Actually Get PADI Master Scuba Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The certifications must be independently verified by a PADI instructor. All relevent certification numbers need to be printed on the application form - the numbers are obtained either from the diver's c-card or on PADI's online Dive Check utility - as well as the Instructor's name and number. Relevant certifications from other agencies must have copies attached.

These applications are then sent to PADI (can be done via e-mail in some cases) where they are independently verified and processed by a member of staff, as opposed to being processed electronically as per standard recreational c-cards.

So it might be possible to fake your way through all that - but attempting to do so would be silly, I feel.

Toodles,

C.
I meant the logged dives (as in your buddy's cert number), not the certifications themselves.

I believe all the required certifications are also required to be PADI certifications. I do not believe they recognized certifications from other agencys when it comes to issuing a master diver card.
What I meant is for verification signatures (f they are even checked) the certification number the verifier is supposed to write may not even be PADI cert number.

You telling me that one would have to have an instructor along on every of the 50 dives to verify that you actually did the dive? Impossible.

Its not "50 dives"...you need to be certified ow on thru rescue and have 5 specialty course certifications,not just the "intro speciality dive"as done in the advance course. All issued by an instructor or instructors...all PADI instructors.So by having the ow-advance-rescue and 5 specialty course certifications all issued by PADI the verifications are on their database.

50 dives to confirm is just kinda rediculous, they have no contact info provided through the log book either. how about #of dives in training isnt it like almost 1/2 the dives to get MSD? if thats true they could assume that you more than likely covered those dives.

okay to clarify - the 50 dives have to be taken somewhat on trust however most recreational divers log their dives anyway because it's really cool to do so - I mean come on - in many cases it's 50 of the most amazing experiences of their lives. Given the level of cynicism here about the certification, there's not many peple out there who are going to apply for the certification unless they want it, and I think the fraudulent applications - if they even exist - are zero to none. There's easier and cheaper ways of defrauding any system.

Other agency certs do count - OW, AOW and Rescue (and EFR) can be from any equivalent agency and PADI will honour that. The exception is the 5 specialties required for the cert - they have to be PADI specs.

In terms of number of dives - if we go through the PADI system:
OW: 4
AOW: 5
Rescue: 4
Deep Spec: 4
Wreck Spec: 4
Navigation: 3
Search and Recovery: 4
Digital Photgraphy: 2

Is 30 dives already - assuming you did the bare minimum (it will vary a few dives either side depending on which specs)

So yeah, you could probably fake your logbook- but why would you? really - anybody who's gone to that time and effort and expense is probably not that type.

Cheers (again)

C.

okay to clarify - the 50 dives have to be taken somewhat on trust however most recreational divers log their dives anyway because it's really cool to do so - I mean come on - in many cases it's 50 of the most amazing experiences of their lives.
Well ya, like I said I log everything, it's just the "verification" signature I haven't done because I just get home, check my computers logs, and copy the info down.

I get your overall point that you'll get most of your dives in your courses, but two things:
a.) I thought Rescue was only 1 dive?

b.) For no particular reason other than to be an idiot I'm gonna outdo your "bare minimum": equipment: 0, Nitrox: 0, Coral Reef Conservation: 0, PPB: 2, Photography: 2 :D

C.

How is Rescue four dives?? I recorded one dive where I summarised all that I had done... My specialties were OW 8, AOW: 12 (deep 5, navigation 3, drift 2, night 2) and Rescue 1 for a total of 21.

I have a Master Diver card and never had to apply, my instructor gave it to me for free after I did Rescue (if you do AOW and Rescue with SSI + 50 dives that meets the requirements). My 50 dives were not verified at all with a log book check but he knew I was diving twice a week and had at least 50 dives (I think it was around 80 actually) so perhaps that is why he did not check. This is SSI though, perhaps PADI is more strict.

I think the money for Master Diver is much better spent in other areas. $60 (or whatever it is) is a lot to pay for a certificate to summarise the training you have done so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom