How Do You Actually Get PADI Master Scuba Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they could assume that you more than likely covered those dives.

I think in practice that is what usually happened. When I got signed off for my MSD I was never asked for my log. Sucker that I am, they got me to put down $50 for Project AWARE at the same time.

And just for clarification about the number of dives - again, from the PADI tome:

For the purposes of meeting logged dive prerequisites in
future PADI programs, divers may log each of the four open water rescue scenarios
as a dive. These dives may be applied toward the minimum logged dive requirements
for PADI Divemaster and Instructor certifications.

Cheers

C.

Hi guys,

I recently did my rescue diver course and I already have done the other prerequisites for the MSD certification.. The dive center gave me an application for the MSD and checked all my c-cards and logs and signed the application.. However, the application didn't come with an envelope like the regular padi certification applications, nor does it list the fees and costs of the card.. Anyone have an idea of where to send it (for Padi Europe), and also what the fees are? I guess I can just put it into my rescue diver application envelope, but not sure if that will be a smart thing to do it those are processed electronically...

Thanks!

Terence

My gosh no, but geez..are you trying to scam your way to a certification?

If you have a solid relationship with your LDS or instructor then there should be no issue with your certifications.

There are no specific requirements about how the dives are logged or who, if anyone, signs off on them, but again, if you want to go home and doctor your logbook to fill in the missing dives after your 1. Open Water (at least 4 dives) Adventure & Advanced (at least 5 dives) Rescue (minimum 20 dives to start) plus your five specialties ( 2 to 4 dives required per), then by all means go ahead - no one can stop you.

And, if you have a good relationship with LDS or instructor, the fee for MSD should be free or at cost ($13), It's free here at Indian Valley Scuba.

Thanks, that's good to know I guess.

The whole verification is so pointless anyways, I mean someone could just sign any name and no one would know: no one is seriously going to check the cert numbers (especially since they could be cross-agency) If someone really wants to cheat, they're going to cheat, it's them who might get involved in something they aren't ready for.

No you cannot do this because all of the specialties have to be PADI classes. You may hold advanced and rescue certs with other agencies but not the specialties. And believe me, they're going to check (at least the course that you claim are with PADI) when you send in that application. Oh and the price is $44, payable straight to PADI. You might encounter some sort of fees with your LDS though.

Yea, some of you are right. MSD means nothing. You didn't have to do anything to get it. You didn't have to demonstrate any kind of skill, take any training, do any kind of rescue work, etc. Just a crappy piece of plastic.

To some it means something to some it doesn't. I got mine becasue I didn't want to pay $36 to get either my AOW or OW with my EANx on it since I had already paid for those cards. I figured I would pay for the one new card so that I could have a card that showed BOTH that I was certified to dive, certified to dive AOW dives and certified rescue and certified to dive EANx. This way I only have to remember one number ever and only have to show one card for any dive I want to do on a recreational boat or dive shop. Easy Peasy. It was convienience for me. That way they DMs at least have an idea that they don't have to babysit me and can wander off to the tourists.

If I get on a tech charter then I simply show my NAUI Trimix II and I am good for pretty much anything there.

As far as signing other's logs, some agencies don't even use numbers. My NAUI cards only have my name, my instructors name, and his number.

As actually meaning anything "TRULY". It doesn't mean anything just like any other card from any and all agencies. What actually means something is the attitude that the individual takes and if they actually learn how to dive and can perform the tasks they are trained to do. It actually matters if they continue to learn, put what they learn into practice and actually practice what they learn. It matters if they can actually function as an effective team member (if I am diving with them as my buddy) and not panic if something goes wrong with either of us. All of these things I learn from a diver by diving with them. I will simply not go on some dives with somebody till I have tested them myself through actually diving with them and learning how they handle situations we come across and by actually talking to them. Hopefully they are doing the same to me.

As far as continuing to learn, I don't mean paid training alone. I have learned soooo much from just diving. There are so many other sources of learning beyond actual agency training.

So, in the end, I guess really MSD card doesn't mean anything, but neither does the OW, AOW, rescue, ______specialty, instructor, etc. I have seen some awesome divers that had nothing beyond OW and/or AOW and I have seen some crappy divers that have 10-15 certs from OW through technichal training and quite frankly they suck simply because their attitude is crap. They cannot dive as an effective member on any kind of dive and take uneccessary risks because they fail to properly apply the triaining they recieved.

I think Walter is just talking about the speciality and training certifications, not the regular dives. That is the understanding I have been given so far.

As for the card, it does have one advantage I've been told. All of your certs/specialties are listed on one card, which can come in handy some places.

As for the card, it does have one advantage I've been told. All of your certs/specialties are listed on one card, which can come in handy some places.

I don't think that is true of the PADI MSD card. At least mine doesn't.

It's not true of the PADI cards - some of the agencies do.

Is MSD worth having? Yep I think so. I sound like a stuck record saying this but the certification represents an achievement that the average diver will have paid a lot of money for and invested a great deal of time and effort in. Yes, it's another card and yes, some people do collect them with an "I'm better than you" attitude - however in my experience, most people are really happy and proud of the certification. Nobody *has* to get it after all!

Happy card collecting,

C.

I agree with Crowley - the PADI Master Scuba Diver card is not the end of trail, but it is a testimony to the continuing core education, specialty training, and diver experience, all of which were required to earn the card. Every diver who puts this amount of effort into their own self-improvement deserves to be recognized.

You've earned it? Get the card!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom