How Do You Actually Get PADI Master Scuba Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To stir the pot some more..

The AOWD deep/wreck/navigation/whatever dives count on the total towards MSD, correct?
If you have already logged 10 deep dives after AOW and decide to get the specialty will those count towards the specialty or do you have to do "new ones" for the specialty or will the theory suffice?

The PADI Nitrox cert is considered a specialty, isnt it?

I ask because I wonder if you have actually logged the required nr of dives for a specialty will it just be a few bucks and a knowledge review or something like that to actually get the cert?
If so I guess theres lots of people around that could just offload some money and paperwork and get a few more cards, maybe including the MSD card if theive already completed rescue/efr..

And there is no need for you to be either, is there?

Good diving, Craig
Without having met Dr Bill his track record suggest to me that hell be more of a master diver than Ill have time and money to become in many, many years :p

The part of this thread that disappoints me the most, other than the PADI bashers, is how many folks here have no real connection with their PADI instructors or dive centers, and find a need to post these questions to this forum rather than simply asking their local dive center. That, to me, really makes two statements - one, the dive center has done a lousy job of endearing themselves to the diver, and two, the diver feels that the anonymous public is a better source of information than their local dive center or instructor who has already worked with them.

The part of this thread that disappoints me the most, other than the PADI bashers, is how many folks here have no real connection with their PADI instructors or dive centers, and find a need to post these questions to this forum rather than simply asking their local dive center. That, to me, really makes two statements - one, the dive center has done a lousy job of endearing themselves to the diver, and two, the diver feels that the anonymous public is a better source of information than their local dive center or instructor who has already worked with them.
Not everyone live 5 minutes from a LDS, or even 50 minutes..
When you have to drive for 2 hrs to get to the closest one you may all of a sudden have 4 other LDS within the same distance and as such not really have a "my LDS"..

Sure, people who have those problems, like myself, could start phoning or sending emails or whatever, but asking the question on a forum, in a thread that someone who has the knowledge is actively partaking might simply give you the answers more quickly and just as accurately..

Oh, and theres the matter of a forum being more or less active 24/7, unlike a LDS.
And dont be foolish enough to assume that just because people ask questions and partake in discussions on a forum that they dont ask their LDS questions and maybe even the SAME questions :no:

I don't think it is necessarily that people do not ask their LDSs the same question. Nearly all questions I have asked here I have already asked at least one local diving shop or other local divers. I like many opinions on topics and even the best LDS has its own agenda when it comes to things such as gear. For example, with gear some shops I go to are very honest about their gear, think highly of the gear they sell (rather than just selling the stuff that gives them the best margins), price it well but I would still rather get a wide range of opinions on any gear I plan to buy rather than just listen to the advice of one person.

I think a few times here in the past I have asked how people have experienced certain courses I plan to do. The LDS or instructor has always gone in to a lot of detail when I ask but I also want to hear from students or other instructors as everyone has a different way of viewing things.

Is there a reason a simple question about paperwork in a section where people ask questions to the agencies has to devolve into the typical argument whenever this topic is brought up? The question was answered. Go argue elsewhere. This is not a section for agency bashing.

Is there a reason a simple question about paperwork in a section where people ask questions to the agencies has to devolve into the typical argument whenever this topic is brought up? The question was answered. Go argue elsewhere. This is not a section for agency bashing.

hear, hear!

Best regards,

Crowley: PADI MI 486406, PADI MSD 0712Ablahblahblah

Hope no one felt I was bashing PADI in my comment... just stating a fact that PADI wasn't even the new boy on the block when I started diving. I have two PADI cards (AOW and Rescue). PADI has done a lot to promote the activity and I appreciate that. I do wish the economic reality allowed more in depth course work for certification like we had under Los Angeles County in the 60s, but then certified divers can take the LAC ADP (Advanced Diver Program).

However, after thousands of dives over the last 48 years, I still don't consider myself a Master SCUBA Diver... I still have a lot of technique to learn, especially if I start diving with buddies and more people actually see me flailing around!

Don't worry Bill, you weren't bashing anyone. Some people think you are bashing PADI if you don't genuflect when you mention them.

Don't worry Bill, you weren't bashing anyone. Some people think you are bashing PADI if you don't genuflect when you mention them.
Rather their are plenty of threads where you can. Respect this section.

Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies This is the place to ask that Dive Agency about their classes!
Dive Agency and other industry reps: Discuss your products and services. Tell us about any new products you might have. Ask for constructive criticism of your products and services. Share any other information you feel would be of interest. Please contact the ScubaBoard Team if you want a private forum for your agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom