How do you get in shape for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been considering a weight vest to build up stamina to get to and from the water more easily when I'm geared up. The shore dives around here require clambering down rocky inclines and, being a "petite" "mature" woman, let's just say I'm not one of the beefier ones who hops down no problem.

I drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of cheeseburgers, and spend a lot of time on scubaboard.:D

hal, you & me think a lot alike--in reading these responses so far, too many here do way too much work---to scuba....:D

I'm a fan of John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet", the ultimate diet for anyone with an engineering or computer science background. Your favourite search engine will find the PDF. Following his ideas will easily enable you to drop 20+ pounds.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, after losing 85 pounds I got cocky and ignored it for a while, putting on about 60 of it again. So I am once again on the long downward journey - but I've no doubt I have the tools to do it again.

Osric

Get into some kind of exercise program; you don't have to be an Olympic athlete, but you should be able to exert yourself without getting exhausted. I've been told that a normal, non-stressful dive burns about 700 calories. On a recent four-week dive trip where I was diving every day, I lost 15 pounds without trying.

700? I doubt that!

As to exercising, and I don't do this for diving necessarily, I alternate between lifting weights in the gym, free weights and machines every other day to doing Insanity (a cardioish based workout) www.beachbody.com on the other days or playing racquet ball. Sometimes I'll even run as well, though I'm not a big fan of running.\

For losing weight it's all about portion control and exercising!

I drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of cheeseburgers, and spend a lot of time on scubaboard.:D

:rofl3:

Unless you have someone to carry the beer from the store to the car, the car to your home, and from your fridge to you on the couch.... you may be over training. Best to slow down before you suffer an overuse injury lad!!!

Sadly, my training routine was similar for too long, but I'm trying to mend my ways.....

Except for scubaboard :wink:

Best wishes.

I practice martial arts to stay in shape. I don't do it specifically for diving, since I started a good 40 years before my first dive. I work out at home about an hour a day (pomsae, bag work, general exercise) and at the dojang 3 times a week for 2-3 hours. Sparring is great arobic exercise. My favorite partner is a black belt 30 years my junior, who has no pity on the Old Fart (tm) at all...

3-5 km's daily and do a few weights about every other day- concentrating on the core. 700 cals for a dive seems a bit much, but I suppose it depends on a few factors- such as current and length of dive. I find a good 30 min snorkel off the beach to be more exerting than your average scuba dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom