How do you get in shape for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to get in better shape. I am starting to lift some weights and start cycling with a little yoga stuff thrown in. It would be nice to drop a few pounds.

Easier said than done.

I notice a huge difference when I get back into a work out habit instead of couch surfing.

It sure is easy to get lazy.

What do you do to get in shape for scuba?

I need to get in better shape. I am starting to lift some weights and start cycling with a little yoga stuff thrown in. It would be nice to drop a few pounds.

Easier said than done.

I notice a huge difference when I get back into a work out habit instead of couch surfing.

It sure is easy to get lazy.

What do you do to get in shape for scuba?

We have a local community center with indoor pool, so can swim year round for about $1 a visit (buying package). It also has indoor walking track, weights, bikes, treadmills etc.

I use an eliptical for 30 minutes 3-4 times per week, then relax in the pool and hot tub to strtch out muscles. I use the eliptical to increase my repiratory, since diving requires better air exchange than muscles. Stretching helps keep me from cramps. I also try to get in the pool with fins, mask, snorkel and a swim float to work on my frog-kick. The float, I use a noodle to keep me in a head high, arched back orientation so I can keep my fins underwater while working on my kicks. I have also woked on back-kicks while swimming like this.

I do a lot of lap swimming (living in Florida it's a year-round sport). When it does get a little too chilly, I have a slider that I use for about an hour every other day, and do aerobics on the other days. Any exercise that burns calories and a diet that is comprised mainly of protein, veggies, and fruits with no or little fat, sugar, and simple carbs also helps to shed the weight.

There are a couple of book available for you. This one (Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier by Terry Laughlin) is my favorite for better swimming technique...helps with comfort in water and overall fitness.
This one is called Fitness for Divers by Cameron Martz. Bellow are some articles he helped write for technical divers working with the WKKP and GUE.

Getting Started
Cardiovascular Conditioning
Strength Training

-------

I am doing P90X right now. I love it. I have never felt better. I'm on week five now.

Elipitical (Habitrail like hamsters use!) as often as possible which for me works out to 3-4 times a week 45 min to 1 hr each day that I go.

Elleptical training 45 - 60 mins 4 to 5 times a week

Get into some kind of exercise program; you don't have to be an Olympic athlete, but you should be able to exert yourself without getting exhausted. I've been told that a normal, non-stressful dive burns about 700 calories. On a recent four-week dive trip where I was diving every day, I lost 15 pounds without trying.

I bicycle ride to get in shape for diving. During the winter I set up a trainer stand and pedal for half an hour 5-6 times each week. During spring, summer and fall, I try to ride 75-100 miles each week.

The biggest thing for me (and this has applied for SCUBA, hiking/camping and skiing/snowboarding) is just to shed the extra pounds. It makes hiking around with gear easier, less drag in the water, etc. I've been trying out the pointers in Tim Ferriss's book "The Four Hour Body" and only doing it about 50% for a month, I'm down almost 10 pounds and 1.5% body fat. Other than that, just stay active. Even going for a walk will keep your legs stronger for swimming on scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom