How do you know a boat is safe(er)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both those stories are scary, but demonstrate how calmness made a difference. I really really don't ever want to tell a story like that!

Ask where the oxygen is if it doesn't come up on your "welcome to the vessel" speech. Inspect it regardless of if you don't know how to use it (actually get some lessons on how to administer oxygen). Imho the status of the oxygen will give you pretty good feel for how the vessel is run in terms of attention to detail.

Regarding your smb/safety sausage start to use it. Get some lessons if need be. I have shot my own smb since OW, every dive, whether needed or not. I believe it is a very important skill to have and you don't want to be learning when you need it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice, we really appreciate it. :D We don't dive that often, once a month if possible so that makes it more necessary for us to know and use safety equipment .

Ask where the oxygen is if it doesn't come up on your "welcome to the vessel" speech.

The welcome to the vessel speech and the dive site briefing can tell you some about the boat and how it is run. Late in the decision process but informative and important to listen to.

The welcome to the vessel speech and the dive site briefing can tell you some about the boat and how it is run. Late in the decision process but informative and important to listen to.

Can tell you a little about the divers around you as well. The ones that don't want or need to listen, for instance.

Agree, just keep in mind that the guy with the white hat on quietly looking at his gear may actually be listening even though he has heard the same talk 100 times.

find out about the experience of the captain and crew. the crew for the operator i hang out with has thousands of hours/dives of experience. that itself is no indication of safety but experience counts more than being brand new! Plus exceed USCG requirements.

Can tell you a little about the divers around you as well. The ones that don't want or need to listen, for instance.

find out about the experience of the captain and crew. the crew for the operator i hang out with has thousands of hours/dives of experience. that itself is no indication of safety but experience counts more than being brand new! Plus exceed USCG requirements.

We are planning on making good ties with an operation that we are comfortable with. But as everyone says keeping alert to all that is going on. Been on the Magician here in So Cal and liked the no nonsense attitude. I couple other boats that did not stand out with me, I have to look at my log book and try to recall. In addition maybe that is something I would add to my entry....

And to the man in the white hat, that's the person that I usually watch, the calm quiet confident one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom