How fit are you for a Rescue ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Rescue Class should not be about the physical capabilities of the students. It should be about what to do, when to do it and how to do it. The class should be as much about you not becoming a second victim as it is about rescuing some one else. The biggest physical part of the course is doing the Missing Diver Rescue which involves finding, surfacing and getting an unresponsive diver from the bottom to the surface and onto the shore. If you can not finish the tow by your self get help or rest if you have to.

Consider the alternative of not doing anything because you do not know how or doe not think you can, you will have a fatality or very serious injury.

I understand that part Clay, that is what that instructor told me as well, but if I get to do a rescue, once in it, there is no turning back I guess one have to feel very ****** if you had to aboard a rescue thinking you can make it and it turns out you fail.

The course helps to teach you when to take that decision, but you need to know your limits, a victim can be at 100m from the coast, add to that some little current and wind, some mental stress and fatigue, I guess knowing you can or can't do those 800m is a good thing to know, speed in timely response give the better odds to safe a victim, the idea is rescue, not body recovery.

Speaking of speed, do any instructor teach on towing a victim with a Scooter ? I guess is very cue-cumbersome to nearly impossible trying to keep the head of the victim above the water.

Am I ready for a class, yes. Am I ready to do a 400m tired diver tow, no.

This was an interesting post for me, as I've wondered how do petite divers handle parts of the rescue class, especially getting someone into a boat/back onto shore with the help of 1 other person (SDI standards)?

I expect shore would be easier, at least on nice sandy beaches. Climbing up the ladder while holding the guy on your back might be a bit challenging even without any chop...

While I wish a few more old time divers who have actually done dozens of rescues would come by here and post here is my contribution as a former emergency first responder and recreational dive instructor.

Realistically, I can think of very few incidences a 800m marginally faster swim speed or a slightly in better shape recreational "rescue diver" would do anything for a victim or even make for a better student in the course.

This isn't the Olympics and the majority of effective emergency first response isn't physical prowess either.

It's great you have personal fitness goals but it isn't a matter of ethics but rather a misunderstanding of what is required in a rescue situation.

Regards,
Cameron

I agree totally with both Remy B. and Lorenzoid.

...but if I get to do a rescue, once in it, there is no turning back I guess one have to feel very ****** if you had to aboard a rescue thinking you can make it and it turns out you fail.

If, is a big rathole so I try not to go there often. First, you may wind up in a rescue without looking for it, and better to be trained than try to make it up as you go along, don't ask me why I know. Second, most people will underestimate the amount of endurance and help they are capable of adding to an emergency effort. Third, a lot of rescue is learning how to "head it off at the pass", that is noticing an issue before it spirals into an accident.

Most important, being an Olympic swimmer, Rescue trained, and so on does not mean a rescue will end well. Some days life sucks. It is a matter, in the end, of looking yourself in the mirror and knowing that you did as much as you could.

Bob
-----------------------
...says take the da**ed training.

Then comes the question, of honesty with your self, do you want to to the course properly and know you can do it or you only want to do it for the awareness part.

I was talking to an rec instructor not so long ago and he ask me if I was rescue certified as he know I do Tec dives, I told him that I didn't feel my self in top condition yet to do the Physical challenge of the course proficiently, and he told me to not worry it is as well about the awareness and mind set, that the physical part was not so important.

Which I differ with this, because you actually shall be the complete package, I guess it is a question of ethics with your self, do it right or don't do it.

I find your logic hard to follow. If you are actively diving and doing tech dives - assuming these are not solo- then it would seem that you have an "ethical" responsibility to make every effort to ensure that you can provide assistance to a buddy in trouble. The rescue course is going to provide you some very valuable resources.

Obviously if you are a 240 lb, 25-yr old extreme athlete you are going to have capabilities at your disposal that a 120-lb women does not. But, this doesn't mean that either of these "hypothetical" divers should forego training or more importantly, will be unable to provide assistance when a problem arises.

I think you should follow the instructor's advice and take the course ASAP. If you are too weak or out of shape to feel confident that you can provide meaningful help in a true emergency, then you should get in shape (or dive solo).

If you have a good instructor, a rescue course might be one of the best scuba courses available.

Agree in full with last two posts. I think it's important for every OW diver to take Rescue as soon as practical. There is no PADI requirement of 20 dives like when I took it. You may not be in the best of shape, and may not be the most efficient diver with buoyancy and all the rest. But you will have the knowledge of what you're SUPPOSED to do should anything bad happen. That can never hurt.

SDI requires 40 dives if you don't have AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom