How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Good question. I've certainly spent quite a bit. Been diving off and on for 25 years. Much more on than off the past 10 years or so.

Certs (3) ~ $750 or so
1st Gear package ~ $1200 (reg, BC, wetsuit, etc)
2nd BC ~ $350
2nd reg ~ $400
1st Computer ~ $600
Boat, trailer, & maintenance ~ $50K
Truck to pull boat ~ $40K
Fuel for boat - Don't have a clue, but it's quite a bit
3rd BC ~ $620
3rd reg ~ $450
Tanks ~ $940
Daughter's Gear ~ $750
Daughter's cert ~ $350 (incl dives)
Spearguns ~ $1000

So that's $97,410 not including a few charter dives I've done, air fills, gear maintenance, & fuel.
Don't tell my wife.

Scuba gear is alot harder to hide than regular mall shoe shopping binges. How much have i spent (this year?) Oh ive had that forever, you never noticed before? 23 years in.. I have a dive shop in my garage. I wish i could have gone a bit longer with my "old " drysuit but it is seeping due to vigourous delamination and bare wont warranty the fabric past 2 years.

For anyone with a boat, don't forget to include it. It's often the single most expensive piece of dive gear someone will own. A decent dive boat can easily top $20k, but a simple boat for inland or more sheltered waterways can be a lot less.

I currently own £5K worth of gear. That doesn't include gear I've replaced, sold on, etc over the years. So we're probably looking at £8k.

Over the past 30 years, probably $20,000 on dive gear, $5,000 on a compressor, $64,000 on boats for diving. All Australian dollars multiple by 0.75 to be US $.

You must certainly mean $18,000 not $1,800 correct?

No omitted 0. That's not counting training and travel. Just gear slowly accumulating the best deals around over the years and a DIY bent. I am "live rich, buy poor." Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing the dives I love.

Back
Top Bottom