How often do you actually need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computer handles my depth and time so for me its needed on every dive. I dont ever wear a watch so the only way I know the time is from the computer.

Yeah, same here but do you ever go on dives where you don't really need to know the time? On a 40-60 dive for instance your air will probably run out before NDL issues come up so time wouldn't be an issue.

You never need a computer for any recreational diving.

A computer can make diving more convenient, but a computer is never needed.

Some dive operators require you to have a computer.

A computer will extend your bottom time if you are not diving a square profile. For instance, if you are going to do a long drift dive where the reef gets progressively more and more shallow, you can plan your dive from assuming a square profile (using table) or a multi-level profile (using the wheel). Your planned bottom time (BT) from the tables will be shorter than your actual bottom using your computer.

Of course, using a computer to extend your bottom time comes with the risks of extended bottom time - higher risk of decompression illness. Some might argue that a computer reduces your risk of DCI by more accurately tracking your nitrogen loading - but that depends on the algorithm that your computer uses and many other factors.

If you follow the more liberal BT of the two - tables vs. computer - you run increased risks associated with increased bottom time. If you follow the more conservative BT - tables vs. computer - you obviously reduce your risks.

I have never needed a computer except when required by a dive operator.

Diving is based in equipment you carry.
Neoprene, BC, tank, reg, fins, mask, belt & weights, knife, camera, light, compass, slate, etc.
Computer could be a part of your equipment.
Some instruments are requiered just to make sure you are diving your plan and stay safe.
Depth meter, watch and manometer are always required.
Any computer has a watch and a depth meter among the many features.
I'm new to diving, so I still have not my own reg and BC, so I always rent them.
Many times the reg comes only with manometer and no other instrument, so, to dive my plan I need at least a depth meter.
Besides I need to carry my slate to take note of the depth, preasure at the beginning, preasure at the end, heading, etc.
Many things are directly recorded by the computer by itself and it has inside the logged dive.
I have no computer yet, but is one of the things I will buy soon.
It's easy to say I don't need it when it's there, in your wrist, but if you dive without it you will think that you need it.

You need a timer, depth gauge, and tank pressure gauge on every dive (unless your in a pool I guess). If you happen to use a computer for that, then you need a computer on every dive.

You need a timer, depth gauge, and tank pressure gauge on every dive (unless your in a pool I guess). If you happen to use a computer for that, then you need a computer on every dive.

If you have a 40-60 foot hard bottom do you still need a time and depth gauge and if so why?

I find this interesting to think about sometimes...for how many dives that you typically go on do you actually need your computer?

In many cases depending on location (and gas) it's hard to ever reach the NDL's.

There are many dives where you do run into the NDL's of course and multiple dives per day over several days on vacation is probably a very good use for tracking nitrogen loading!

There's also the situation of being able to get deep but not having enough to look at to stay long enough to hit the NDL..go deep look at something and work your way up slope.

I'm talking about recreational dives here of course. Looking at your own dives how much of the time was your computer actually not needed?

In the attached profile, I was very close to my NDL on this dive. Had I not had a computer I may have stayed a little longer - if I had enough air.:wink:

If you have a computer, just take advantage of what it telling you.

DiveView4.jpg

In the attached profile, I was very close to my NDL on this dive. Had I not had a computer I may have stayed a little longer - if I had enough air.:wink:

If you have a computer, just take advantage of what it telling you.

DiveView4.jpg

This wasn't your first dive of the day was it.:wink:

Nope, third! Good catch!

When diving locally (usually shallow, interval of two or three hours minimum, two dives a day) I primarily use the bottom timer. The computer is stored in the left pocket for logging purposes.

Deep diving or on a dive trip means the computer get a more prominent place on my wrist.

Nope, third! Good catch!

:wink:

Even in this case (air permitting) you could have extended the dive if you had wanted to as long as it was in the 30 foot and above range.

60 deg F. Is this a minimum temp and is that possible in California or was this on vacation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom