How safe do you feel when you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety is obviously a big concern for all of us when we dive but how ho safe do you guys actually feel when you go diving?

1. Is safety a big concern to you when you go diving?

2. Do you take care of your own safety or do you rely on others to guide you?

3. Have you ever thought about how you could make yourself safer when going diving?

4. If a new technology was available that could make you safer would you use it?

5. Can you think of a technology that could make you feel safer whilst diving?
1) No. It is an issue that is easily taken care of, so, NO, safety is not a concern. squeezing into my wetsuit is a concern.
2) I assume full responsibilty for my safety.
3) not in the last 20 years...pretty much nailed safety in the first few years, laws of the universe have not changed much since then
4) see 3) above. i don't have any safety issues, so no problems to be solved
5) sure: the infinite tank of gas? snapon gills?

Snapon makes gills? I thought they were just a tool company. They make quality stuff though. I will have to look into those...

It is not a concern but a priority, as I prepare myself, my equipment and plan accordingly.

I take care of my own safety. Redundancy is part of my dive kit.

3. Have you ever thought about how you could make yourself safer when going diving?

I am always looking at ways to be safer where I do not control all the variables (such as boat diving in foreign countries where there are strong currents: solution: Nautilus Lifeline and PLB in a canister).

4. If a new technology was available that could make you safer would you use it?
Depends. Is something that helps people with good awareness skills?

No.

Of course, I want to live and not get bent.

Nobody handles my equipment but me and I don't use any equipment that's not my own except for weights. I know how well my equipment is taken care of.

Yes, and I've purchased equipment to make diving safer (pony, redundant cutting tools, buoyancy, etc).

Sure! What are the cons and what does it cost?

Something that doesn't exist right now and is feasible? Nope.

Safety is obviously a big concern for all of us when we dive but how ho safe do you guys actually feel when you go diving?

1. Yes, safety is a big concern when I go diving. I don't worry about my safety but I am concerned about it. This is why I never dive beyond my training.
  2. I take care of my own safety. I have buddies as well but I try to take steps to ensure I don't need their help.
  3. I always think about how I can make myself safer.
  4. Probably not.
  5. The most important thing for keeping me safe is between my ears. :)

1. Of course!!!!!

2. I take care of myself.

3. Always

4. Only if tried and tested and proven effective

5. At the moment, no.

You need a Poll.

1. Always.

2. I never rely on others, that's dumb.

3. Yes, over the years.

4. If I could f*&^ing understand it.

5. No. I have a Dive Computer and watch, all analog stuff. There is just so much you can do to be "safe".

Last edited:

1 Safety is top priority, if I become concerned it's time to end the dive, something is wrong.

2 See above, I won't dive if I don't feel safe. A feeling of safety is born from confidence in your ability to cope with all aspects of the conditions at hand...this assumes you are aware of said conditions. Eg. Instabuddy's ability or currents or vis. or equipment failure etc... Live and learn is kinda backwards in regards to scuba. Learn and live has become my motto. I think I have a grasp on the risks of my strictly recreational diving. I believe I have the nessesary skills and equipment to pull it off.
Short answer. I take care of my safty and my buddy's. A guide is not a safty unless your buddied up.

3 After OW and maybe a dozen dives I started learning more about the risks, I thought alot about my safety, changed my kit, added redundancy, took more training and got another 50 dives in. The only way to feel safe is to address all concerns with solid solutions. Skills, awareness, equipment and if others are involved, communication and cooperation. Practice practice practice repeat.

4 I would consider "it's" merits.

5 I can't imagine any new technology helping safty. Simple solutions are most reliable.(see above) Heads-up sonar display in the mask for bad vis. would be cool but I won't bet your life on it!

1. Safety is not a big concern for me when I dive. I consider myself a safe diver and have never had any sort of mishap whatsoever in 20+ years but when I go diving I'm not thinking about safety.

2. I take care of myself.

3. The thought never enters my mind.

4. Depends on cost and what it is.

5. Spare Air

Back
Top Bottom