how to dive with non-DIR divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carribeandiver:
So, how do DIR divers handle diving with non-DIR divers?

Don't know what others do..............I just dive DIR.

Carribeandiver:
What do you do when non-DIR divers do things differently?

I still just dive DIR.

rainman_02:
Getting out at the wall, an instructor (in front of his class) called out, "Hey, I think you guys need a few more tanks!"

you know all those classes i took with you about lowering my SAC? waste of money... made everything worse, man

rainman_02:
Getting out at the wall, an instructor (in front of his class) called out, "Hey, I think you guys need a few more tanks!"
It's tough to get a sense of context as to whether the comment was intended as good natured ribbing or not ... I guess that really depends on your relationship with that instructor.

I often tease my DIR buddies (and vice versa) on the beach ... certainly it's intended as comaraderie, and I think it's always taken that way.

Had a bunch of my DIR friends come by on scooters and buzz my class one time ... we had some banter on the beach afterward. I can well imagine that anyone who didn't know us would've thought we were arguing, when in fact the students thought it was really cool, and we were just having fun heckling each other about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
You know, that's one of the wonderful things about really buying into the GUE-taught sequence of pre-dive stuff. You go through everything methodically, and if you don't, your teammates will (or should) call you on it and remind you.

And then you can be amazed at what can slip by even THREE teammates, like somebody forgetting to put her weight belt on . . .

...or someone having their BC on *backwards* -- I'd forgotten this one on cave1!
Not me, but I did bubble check that person. Sure enough no bubbles.
Then eagle-eyed Danny asks him to try to use the rear dump ... oops.

bit embarrassing for day 1 of a class!

wunat:
Don't know what others do..............I just dive DIR.

I still just dive DIR.

If you don't have a team, its not DIR though. Some situations its not that important, some it is (or might be).

rjack321:
If you don't have a team, its not DIR though. Some situations its not that important, some it is (or might be).
The problem that some folks run into (which is the problem that Carribeandiver is having) is that if they are the first person in their area to undertake DIR training, then it's really difficult to find people to be on the "team". That's why it's usually best to take the class with other local divers, and then that can form a core group that can work together on further practice and training.

As several folks have pointed out, once you go DIR, you can never go back again. People who have not taken a DIR course usually "just don't get it" - you don't have to read any further than the comments on other peoples' reaction (some of them instructors, which should tell you something) to practicing skills and gas planning.

Several folks have mentioned leading by example, which is excellent advice. I think it's important to "practice what you preach", but it can also be difficult to get the full benefit if you are the only one practicing. So for a time at least, Carribeandiver will have to dive with people who may not be receptive (or even familiar) with DIR principles. It's not a perfect situation, but sometimes you just have to play with the hand that's dealt you.

I think that ultimately, the key to Carribeandiver's success with this is going to be to find a way to connect with (or perhaps create) other DIR-minded divers in the area. Unfortunately, I don't have any ready-made solutions to that problem - on-line forums (fora?) like SB can help with advice and moral support, but it's kind of hard to practice skills over the Internet :D. You just have to be persistent - "build it and they will come".

sorry... didn't realize this was the DIR forum

DIR-Atlanta Once again, you hit the nail on the head. My friends think I am nuts. They see my new rig as something for tech/cave divers only and my new obsession with pre-dive planning to be unnecessary.
I go through the GUE EDGE by myself because even my dive buddies refuse to participate. I do force them to at least discuss certain things like signals, positioning, and a plan concerning depth. Turnaround pressure is something they see as related only to cave diving because their excuse is, we can get back to the boat without even thinking about that.
I realize I am a beginner, a novice diver, and even greater novice DIR diver but still I am going to use this system and the more I practice, the more I study and the more I think about it, the more DIR makes sense and is the dive philosophy to follow.
Finding an open minded diver willing to at least explore DIR is more difficult than you think. Heck, it is rare to find someone here who has even heard of GUE or DIR. Even the instructors have never heard of it.
My regular dive buddy keeps telling me this is a scam to get people to buy more dive gear, specifically Halcyon. This is the guy I am taking the Rescue class with and will buddy up with him for a bunch of pool dives and 6 Gulf dives. I am hoping once he sees the benefits of the long hose in an OOA situation and the advantages of horizontal diving he will start to reconsider his doubts.
I am too far away from being any kind of diving example for true DIR diving so I do not broadcast DIR but the flaws in my old diving system are more evident than ever and I am definitely not going back to the 'good thing I dont know any better' way.
I came back depressed because I was so horrible but after much, much, much consideration, I see an opportunity to learn a better way of diving which will mean I am safer for me and my teammates.
I get frustrated because I do not see progress and making corrections is difficult when all I have is feel. If I had DIR buddies, even ones on my level, this would be so much easier. Diving with doubting thomases and people who think I am strange does not aide my progress nor does it offer positive feedback for my efforts.
But I am going to succeed at this and I dont give a hoot if I am the only one in my whole state. If I live long enough, I will bet there will be more people diving closer to the DIR approach then there are diving other agencies' approach.
Speaking of which, do you know that in my NAUI Rescue class, the instructor said we are not required to do a swim? I believe he stated that a swim is not even required for OW now. If that is true, how sad.

Carribeandiver:
Speaking of which, do you know that in my NAUI Rescue class, the instructor said we are not required to do a swim? I believe he stated that a swim is not even required for OW now. If that is true, how sad.

Your instructor is absolutely FULL OF S**T! He is breaking standards. Find another instructor that abides by NAUI S&P. I would rip his card away so fast it would make his mask spin.:light:

Dive safe.

Mike

Carribeandiver:
If I live long enough, I will bet there will be more people diving closer to the DIR approach then there are diving other agencies' approach..

That's wishful thinking, the DIR system is not intended to appeal to the masses, in my opinion. How in the world can all that training and gear and practice and team work and physical fitness, compete with the appeal of a $150 weekend PADI course?

I think that unless DIR drastically changes (lowers) its' standards, the popularity will be limited simply by the level of discipline that is required. There are many people who are familiar with the DIR approach and will choose not to implement it for a variety of reasons (myself included).

(But I do like to learn about it and steal as many of their ideas as I can apply to my personal diving.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom