how to dive with non-DIR divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the past ~5 years DIR has grown considerably. In the US alone... There are 4 or 5 good wing manufacturers now. Plates are a dime a dozen. 3 or 4 canister light manufacturers. For the price, there's no good reason for anyone to complete with Jets though...

NAUI tec is essentially DIR gear config.

At least from the gear end of things the resources have grown and is growing quite a bit. Ditto for the instructor pool, although its a more limited growth. But there are good "DIR" instructors in 3 agencies now (which is why GUE has divorced themselves from the term).

I don't see DIR as nearly as specialized as it was historically. Mainstream, no. Grabbing market share, even if just a little more every year, yes.

Hang in there Carribeandiver. Just lead by example, have patience and you'll have buddies in no time.

Mike Edmonston:
Your instructor is absolutely FULL OF S**T! He is breaking standards. Find another instructor that abides by NAUI S&P. I would rip his card away so fast it would make his mask spin.:light:

Dive safe.

Mike
Really? The slide presentation listed a 225 yard swim and a 25 yard?? underwater swim and his comment was, this is no longer required by NAUI. I thought it was ridiculous considering we will have to tow a distressed diver.

Carribeandiver:
And trust me I am not arrogant and although I have not met all the DIR trained divers, the ones I have had the good fortune to talk with and meet have all proven to be terrific people as well as terrific divers.

Yes, they are "all proven to be terrific people as well as terrific divers" They are also less than 2-3% of the active divers.

A good LDS in your area, will have DM'S, Instructors etc. that can be of help. Try them out. Who knows, maybe they are already "doing it right".

I'm sorry, I thought this was the DIR forum.

Carribeandiver:
However, my point is that now I employ a certain philosophy and cannot deviate from that philosophy which makes it difficult to have a teammate diver who differs in his approach and way of thinking.
Then execute option 1. Don't dive. Don't compromise your high standards. Don't take the rescue course. Go find a DIR instructor that meets your standards.

Then you won't have to whine about other divers.

Carribeandiver:
Diving styles may not matter much, as someone above stated, I can dive DIR and my teammate can dive his/her way ........
Then you are NOT diving DIR.

H2Andy:
but it should be black...
well duh, I'm not DIR but I know that :D

Don Wray:
I'm not the one who started the thread wondering if only DIR folks should be allowed to dive, or they might kill themselves because they aren't "Doing It Right":mooner:

The thread I was reading had someone discussing a personal decision on who he would choose to dive with based on his diving style. I don't recall seeing anything about others being allowed to dive or not.

What thread were you reading?

**********MOD POST***********
Some posts have been deleted. Please remember that this is the DIR forum, no flaming or trolling allowed. Additionaly, like all the other forums here on Scubaboard, all members must abide by the TOS. Here is the link.http://www.scubaboard.com/faq.php?faq=tos_items#faq_scubaboard_tos
And in particular this:
Profane, insulting or mean spirited language is simply not allowed here. Neither is any sort of harassment or bullying. Threats of any sort are grounds for immediate banishment. While the debates may wax passionate, there is no need to revert to personal attacks.
Please refrain from the insults and profanity.
Thank You.
********END MOD POST**********

I owe all of you an apology. I was in a bad mood yesterday and should not have been on the computer at all. Caribbean diver's post hit me wrong and I went off. Thanks to Scuba Jenny for eliminating embarrassing remarks on my part. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Hoping all of you have a good day.

I've always found it rather interesting the number of times someone will come to the DIR forum and have a post "hit them the wrong way" because folks are talking about diving DIR-style ... :confused:

Does that happen in the solo forum too? Do people go over there and get all huffed up because someone else wants to dive solo?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom