How to travel with gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johntclever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are making our first trip to Cozumel later this year and will be diving for over a week. We would love to know how to get it there safe and undamaged--and keep ourselves sane in the process.

Based on the rental fees for 7 days, it would be cheaper for us to bring our own stuff (except tanks and weights).

We are thinking putting our regs, masks, snorkels, and dive computers in a carry-on...and then put our bcd's and fins in a single checked bag--though we aren't quite sure which type--do we need an expensive ones or would a large padded duffle work?

Or should we just pack our mesh gear bags and use them as potentially oversized carry ons?

AC can demand what they like via their official policy.

The reality:

I have travelled with my gear via AC from Ottawa to Victoria (x 2), San Fransisco, and Cuba.

Reg case with regs, computer, lights - dropped in my backpack and carried onboard.

Soft duffel with exposure gear, BCD, fins, mask (in a hard case) and other assorted "stuff".

Absolutely no issues.

I am booked to cancun in December.
Flying air Canada.
They demand a pelican type hard case.

AC says "rigid" container for any type of sporting good. Never seen it happen. Regular hard or soft sided suit case or duffle works. Never had an issue, nor has anybody else I know.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

My wife and I are making our first trip to Cozumel later this year and will be diving for over a week. We would love to know how to get it there safe and undamaged--and keep ourselves sane in the process.

Based on the rental fees for 7 days, it would be cheaper for us to bring our own stuff (except tanks and weights).

We are thinking putting our regs, masks, snorkels, and dive computers in a carry-on...and then put our bcd's and fins in a single checked bag--though we aren't quite sure which type--do we need an expensive ones or would a large padded duffle work?

Or should we just pack our mesh gear bags and use them as potentially oversized carry ons?

Good plan for the carry-on. Any suit case or duffle will work. Bring the mesh bag....you will something to haul the gear to the boat with, unless they are storing your gear for you.

Enjoy your first trip!

Bill

the guy lives in Arkansas... Might aswell check with your airline for policies first.

totally off topic but I think Westjet is more understanding on sporting equipment (once brought my bike from quebec city to vancouver at no charges)

You have the right plan - carry on the regs, masks, and dive computers in your carry-on.

BCD, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, booties, etc... stuff into a checked bag. Any roller bag will work there is no need to go buy an expensive scuba specific bag. The hardest part will normally be finding a roller bag long enough for the fin length. If you don't have any available look for a cheap roller duffel bag.

I use a 30 inch High Sierra roller bag and it's survived multiple trips without damaging any of equipment.

have fun! Cozumel is fantastic!

I use a DiveCaddy and can fit a complete tropical setup in it just fine (wetsuit, shorty, booties, regs, bp/w, fins, mask, light,etc). I'll check a bag with my clothes - I can always get new t-shirts and shorts to wear on the cheap, but my dive gear stays with me. I have had to check it at the plane a couple of times on the small commuter planes, but got it right back when I got off the plane.

I basically travel as you plan. Carry on regs, computers, masks and any other fragiles. BCD, fins, wetsuit, Murphy box, knife!, etc. in a soft duffel and checked -- pack clothes around anything hard for padding. I've never had anything damaged in transit, though I once had a very confusing conversation with a guy at security in a rural Indian airport about my regulator. I was able to explain what it was for, but he couldn't for the life of him understand why anyone would want to go under water, especially with sharks around. Have a great trip!

Would you rather the airlines damaged your $150 Akona bag or your $40 duffel bag? Plus a logo'ed dive bag screams "expensive dive gear inside" to less than honest baggage handlers. Many of whom seem to work in Miami...

I use one of those big rolling duffel bags. Mine isn't made any longer but it's a big bag - too big to carry on ever - with a hard plastic bottom, a retractable handle and wheels. It's also basic blue, has no logos and is a heavier duty canvas than most you'll find in stores. I'm pretty sure I paid about $40 for it a decade ago and it's been all over the world since then. It's also lighter than most - lighter than my buddies Akona dive bag - in fact he just borrowed it a couple weeks ago for a dive trip to Fiji. Mine also has a large square outside zipper pocket, one pair of XL fins just fits inside. Nice because it protects anything on that side from impact - I put my second mask and a few other more breakable items on that side. If there's a downside it's that fully packed it will not stand on end by itself. Someone once commented on it being a tennis bag but IDK.

Anytime you plan to "carry-on" an oversized bag you'll invariably be asked to gate-check it. IDK how frequently you fly but since all the airlines started charging for checked bags, everyone tries to carry everything on. So the airlines are requiring bags to fit inside their sizing box at the gate on a full flight. I was even on a recent flight where my (and everyone behind me) legal sized roller bag was taken from me at the door of the plane and put in checked because the overheads in the plane were literally full. Even though the plane wasn't yet.

We also recently bought one of these:

AQUDLMS.jpg

Balanzza Ergo Hand-Held Digital Luggage Scale Mini and take it with us since if the gear doesn't have a chance to dry we don't want to be overweight on the return as that's a huge charge now on some airlines. We're always right up against the 50lb. limit anyway.

Last edited:
If travelling to somewhere warm I pack all my gear except computers in a regular suitcase along with the little clothing I need and the airline will never know whats in it.
My camera gear however is another matter entirely. Its big, heavy and very expensive so that get checked in as special luggage in its own stormcase. It cost me extra, but its worth it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom