How to travel with gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mask is prescription and without it I am not going to see anything I paid for. I can make do without anything else, but the mask stays with me!

From an rx point of view I get that, especially if contacts is not an option, but for people that dont need rx - not so much..

I have a lockable pelican case that has room for a full kit. It's got wheels and a handle for ease of movement. It's "Gorilla" proof. I also have a pelican case for my reg set, computers, mask etc. just slightly larger than a laptop case. Travel is easy, secure an I like crush/ gorilla proof.

From an rx point of view I get that, especially if contacts is not an option, but for people that dont need rx - not so much..

Tigerman, for me at least it's a question of what items would I not want to rent. With the mask, its a matter of fit, comfort and preference. A leaky mask is no fun, a sore face even less so and I like the field of vision I get with my own mask.

First off, we pay luggage fees if we have to. It's a small part of the cost of a trip....

Agreed. The cost of paying for another bag is nothing compared to the rest of a trip cost.

For those stuffing the carry-on, on our trip to French Polynesia, Air Tahiti Nui weighed every single piece of carry-on when we left Tahiti to return to Los Angeles. They didn't weigh them on the Los Angeles to Tahiti flight though.

The chance of checked luggage not arriving travelling TO a destination havent proven to be too big for me (coming home is a different matter) and most decent shops will have a mask that works - unless you need rx. There would also be things id be way more concerned about in rhe first place.. once again as long as I dont need an rx mask..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The chance of checked luggage not arriving travelling TO a destination havent proven to be too big for me (coming home is a different matter) and most decent shops will have a mask that works - unless you need rx. There would also be things id be way more concerned about in rhe first place.. once again as long as I dont need an rx mask..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The one time I arrived at a dive destination and my gear didn't was all it took for me to alter my packing routine. As I posted before, I can get pretty much my entire setup in my carryon. I am particular about my gear and I am fairly petite so sometimes hard to fit from stock supplies. Just personal preference.

Depending on what the airlines are charging it may be cheaper to upgrade to first class. I was flying in the US the other day and US Airways wanted to charge me $70 bucks for both my checked bags. I had the option to upgrade to first class for $50 bucks on one leg of my trip and I got two free checked bags. Can anyone explain that to me? How is that me flying first class and drinking a lot of nice scotch for free and getting two free bags for the entire trip is cheaper than paying for my baggage? Love it when the airlines are stupid in my favor.

If your OK with spending a bit of $, I recommend that you check out the Aeris Jet pack. I got one for my up coming trip to Cozumel, but i haven't got a chance to try it.

The one thing I loved about flying to mexico from the US is the no-fees-allowed for multiple bags going in/out of the country :D
That said, my wife and I could each take TWO bags.. one was a large suitcase and I stuffed all of our gear in there.

The only thing I rented while there was a BC and can light (cave diving) since I didn't want to risk my expensive light getting stole...er..."lost" on the flight. I figured everything else I could just re-buy if needed. My smaller expensive stuff (backup lights, dive computer, etc) was all carried in my carry-on. I took my monkey diving harness (wads into a ball) for all open water diving I did so I only needed to get tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom