I.D.E.A.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice on the octos. Tougher decision on the agencies. If price were not the issue, I'd opt for PADI solely because of their universal acceptance. I don't know anything about IDEA, and maybe some of the dive operators wouldn't either.

I really don't have any information on IDEA, but that doesn't mean you can't get a good class there. Check out: http://diverlink.com/newdiver/ You'll learn how to interview your potential instructors to choose the best.

WWW™

Hi Phislet,
My diving buddy is certified through I.D.E.A. You and he are the only two people I know with that certification. I can tell you his card is honored here in Florida. We've made one trip to the Virgin Islands and one to the Bahamas. His card was honored in both places, no questions asked. Maybe this info will help you make a decision. Dive safely.
Bob

Thanks. Both instructors seem great. That's the problem (although I guess that's a good problem I guess.) My main concern is whether I should worry about recognition of certification. IDEA vs. PADI.

Has anybody ran into problems with various places not accepting a certain certification program?

Phislet

Unfortunately i have no experience with IDEA's courses, how they train or any divers with previous IDEA experience.

However, i always say whenever people are talking about organisation vs. organisation is that it all depends on the styles they use to teach, and how you prefer.

http://www.idea-europe.com/uk/indexuk.html
http://www.padi.com.html

If you look at the sites they give you a rough idea and then if you talk to divers trained by both you get an even better view of which you'd prefer.

I do feel that diving is all about the quality of the training your given!

That extra $400 could pay for the diffence in being about to dive in about 25 other locations around the world - but that would be all - if you feel both IDEA and PADI instructors are up to scratch in both companies.

PADI is a more recognised qualification internationally but it all depends on if you are looking to dive in places where IDEA isnt recognised.

You probably have a rough idea as to where you'd be diving around the world, what i'd advise is to do a bit of back ground research and just email a few places to find out what percentage actually accept IDEA qualifications as you dont want to find it limits you in the future.

Good luck on your decision - and make sure it is your decision as your the one who does the course!

hello fellow michigander, what city do you hail from? i am 30 miles south of Alpena, a small town of Mikado. about your conflict about cert. agencies, i am padi certified as is my youngest brother. however my middle bro, is idea certified and he just returned from palau, and he had no problems getting any recognition from the dive resort. when he was first certified a few yrs back i showed him my padi OW book and he was impressed with the content, as his agency did not go in depth as much as padi. but none the less he is an excellent diver that i would count on in an instant. he is getting ready to take idea's version of the divemaster and while i have no idea about the course content i would imagine that the course will still be stressing the same points as the padi divemaster. his instructor is dual certified in idea and padi so i imagine there will be some cross training, but he will get the best of both worlds. he lives in Grand Rapids,Mi, and is going through DIVE ZONE for his next course. well i hope i helped ease some of the differences, i don't believe you will have any prolems with either, its just a matter of personal choice. so,, get wet and have fun. sam

hi phislet, i,ve been to cozumel and am going to honduras in a few weeks with several other divers, all of us are certified thru I.D.E.A. and have never had any problems what-so-ever. if you have questions you'd really like answered concerning I.D.E.A. program, try contacting Bob at PARADISEDIVECENTER.COM, they are IDEA dive instructors and can give you answers to all your ?

ideacert@aol.com

Hey Phislet,

the open water dives are farily easy to come by. Have you asked the PADI store if they will honor the IDEA competitor's price? If you started with PADI with the old shop, I would have reservations about changing certification agencies midstream. Most dive shops know that if you BUY from them, they probably have you for life. The current Dive shop I go to now (Extasea in South Orlando) really understands this concept. Don has gone out of his way to make me feel "special". I like that, unfortunately for me, he can't do IDC yet. Still hoping to get some recomendations for THAT for down here in Central Florida. Good Luck, and I would consider upgrading that Vyper to the Cobra... far slicker unit!

Pete from Orlando...

I have never seen anybody turned down regardless of the cert agency--and I, Unfortunately, have seen people dive without showing a card. That said, why don't you e-mail a number of resorts/dive shops in the Carib., Pacific, Atlantic, etc., tell them you are thinking about diving their local, and do they accept I.D.E.A. certification?

Their responses will give you an idea (no pun intended here) about the universality of the card.

One other thing--the lower cost of one dive shop may be due to gray market goods. Make certain all the items come with the mfgs' warrantees. Having said that, I have to tell you about a dive shop in our area: The Bamboo Reef. I had all sorts of trouble with a mask and they took it back based on my description of the problems. True, I bought a new mask there and, true, I shop regularly there, but it was still a "nice" thing for them to do. Support your local dive shops!

Joewr

I did ask the PADI dive shop if they would match the IDEA dive shop's prices and they would not. Basically they said that they specialize in service and could not go that low. They also told me that we were free to return any of the equipment for something else if we did not like something. That is a good thing to know and might be worth the extra money in itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom