I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone could not work out how to post pics (could someone clue me in) but I did upload into my albums could you guys tell me what I found in the boneyard maybe F/babe or ricklepickle thanks Karl

Go into your gallery. Choose the photo you want to show on your post. Under the photo where it says Linked Thumbnail, there is a little colored icon on the right hand side that looks like a little framed picture. Click on that icon and it will add a dropdown list of different kinds of links. Highlight the entire contents of the Medium Image link. It should look like this... {img]http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_04092.JPG[/img} ... except I replaced the outer brackets with "{ }" so you can see the link, instead of the photo.

Type CONTROL C to copy the link then go to your post and hit paste.
The photo will appear in your post.
Like This.
IMG_04092.JPG

thank you very much and wow, I will try to post the others tonight. So what did I find I always pick up the odd things when I am down there.

Went fossil diving for the first time yesterday, and I can see why it is a sickness for which the only cure is more dives.
I was hoping for some assistance in identifying my finds. I'm sure that I brought back a nice rock or two... Below are my guesses, or the guesses of those on the boat:

20NOV2010_Fossils_1.JPG

1- ?? Some mammal thigh bone?
2-3 - Whale
4 - Turtle shell
5 - ?

20NOV2010_Fossils_2.JPG

6 - Manatee rib or claw?
7-14 - Manatee

20NOV2010_Fossils_3.JPG

15 - Meg (wish I had the other half, it's over 5" long)
16 - This one looks like the top of a knee bone?
17-18 - Meg
19-24 - ???

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Not a baby meg or great white. I would check into dusky or bull shark.

Hi,

We found this tooth yesterday on Jupiter Island Beach. I know this thread is mostly for things found in and around the Venice area. But the beach where we found it, we have found lots of small shark teeth. This one is a 1st though.

I thought it might be some kind of whale tooth but none of the pictures I've found look like it.
Anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

• IMG_8621.jpg
    IMG_8621.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_8622.jpg
    IMG_8622.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 134
modern fish bone

It really looked like a tooth, but I took a closer look after your answer. I don't really see a clear margin so your answer would seem to be correct.

Excuse my "blondness" about this, but any idea what kind of fish or what part of a fish it could be?

So.. I am stumped. Any ideas?

Claw... tooth?
IMG_001221.JPG

IMG_001317.JPG

IMG_001414.JPG

IMG_001611.JPG

Donno...
IMG_001015.JPG

IMG_000914.JPG

IMG_000813.JPG

Thanks in advance..

Last edited: