I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, it's Sunday. I took the rest of the day off after I went into town. Football, and staying off of my knees is the order of the afternoon. The evening is falling softly here. It's just beautiful. In the last two weeks, I've had the AC completely off and ran the heater for 5 hours two nights ago. I'm leaving the windows and door open instead. I love that. It's supposed to get into the 40s tomorrow morning, so I might have to run it some for the next two nights.

Hi Pete,

I just skimmed your thread regarding the new ranch. Beautiful! The progress pics are nice.

Congratulations!
markm

I think Suwanee county is the least regulated county in the world. That's especially true when compared with Monroe County, where I used to live. I can build as many outbuildings as I want with no permit required here. That might change in a year or two, but that's OK. Monroe wants to inspect tiny little sheds and they want to regulate Conexes too.

OK, as I promised, I took a picture of the fire ring as it sits right now. Look at the stairs on my home... do you see a problem? I guess that's why we never, ever use that door. :D :D D:

The rest of the trim has been ripped and stained. I'm going into town and get what I need to make a cover for the outside of the fan when it's cold outside as well as to make a holder for the 48" wide roll of craft paper I'm using to protect the top of the assembly table. The shelves to the right should be gone by the end of the day. My space is beginning to open up to how I like it.

The next big project will be to start the cabinets on the starboard side of the shop, install the new Bosch Miter saw and make a countertop that will be the same height as the table saw and assembly table. Of course, I still have to finish the closing up of the shop. There's still too much moisture and battling rust is starting to take more time than I want. I'll have to deal with sealing the two big barn doors, finish the side door and seal the tin roof. Getting them to simply stay closed was a big step, but there are huge gaps that need to be sealed.

impressed!
looks great!! i did a dive at troy one time, was interesting...... will be up in dec. cant wait to see everyone. been a busy November .... glad youre back in the water!!!! see ya soon!!

No pics, but it was a productive day in the shop. I finished out a lot of the trim. It was quick and easy. I love quick and easy. I also got the side door hung, the threshold and gaskets installed. I hadn't noticed that the door had a bit of a warp to it, but I worked around it and got it to fit really well. I still have to figure out the window issue and paint it, but it came a long way today. I worked on the front doors a bit as well. I see what I need to get them sealing a lot better. Got the hardware for the upper latch finally. Sweet. I got the port side installed, but ran into an issue on the starboard side. Nothing a 2x4x10 can't resolve! I also got my straightedges hung. Things are coming together and I feel like I'm dealing with more small stuff.

My right knee is doing a lot better. I decided to walk to the mailbox today... it's about a 1/4 mile from the house. On a whim, I called Ma~. She came running to me and then walked with me to the mailbox and back. How cool was that? No, she wasn't like a dog following her master. She was part of a hunting party. Many crickets met their fate today! :D :D :D

The basic interior of the workshop is almost done as I stained the trim by the large shop doors.

chOAMcKBtwFUPrY4SAVhzluP7iiAN6v1eRE64Z-Q0Ig7bt8xrddr-rBdtJXQq6zUpV9PoKcIK9ixBQGCBJY=w689-h918-no.jpg

The door still needs a pane of glass. I haven't gotten my head around that yet, but I will...

PXqA4JuUBWYWR3wZ0AgZV7hn4FPTMqU90lyG3lc9g2l2cwoOaEpLDG3gPJ2UpyQ_-EpF9fkm6YdkMxlFn8o=w689-h918-no.jpg

I still have the cabinets to build, but I'm waiting on some tools to arrive, that will help with that.

In the interim, my eyes are on the shed/pole barn that sits to the port side of the workshop. They added some 4x4s in odd places where it doesn't look like they needed more support. I think these were used as supports for dividers, so they will come down. I'm going to open up the pen, shovel out the horse manure (volunteers???), put in some plastic shelves (already in the shop), and add a bench to work on the chainsaws and other lawn equipment.

SDpP3GbHkQLCiTt2a7-1_vD7eyUGHGls2lsud_FjrhZL3dyWih7y9xDG3HfqNJY-raJ6E-14aZ0ShQIuPM=w1224-h918-no.jpg

21yij0nTRDiASDqr-h2g5-HGrdHHeRS8r0lYo_3tcHntaz09ZBAK-EIUG5c9vqBrA2z068Oa5MQJ911Dcs=w1224-h918-no.jpg
iyf3ucKCJY2Hq5vhzX-8WuI_BDqiUrnn_dZOnbX5UxSQH-GalzYAxuOKgmjT3UzPFuEpKc4wPz4F7qI61g=w1224-h918-no.jpg

Oh yeah, I've been here three or so months now, and I finally got around to changing all the locks. Now, just one key can open the shop or the house. Progress. Slow, but sure. Of course, locking the shop with the wide open window doesn't mean much yet... but it will! :D :D :D

My Relatives in Florida are battling mildew, so I hope you can suggest how you are keeping humidity levels down? They have three de-humidifiers, but the mildew is still growing.
Suggestion for door that needs glazing, custom stained glass window with SCUBABOARD MOTIF, or just a pretty one like this: Beautiful Cresting Ocean Wave #2 Stained Glass Window Panel (Also available insulated and pre-installed in vinyl frame) - StainedGlassWindows.com

My Relatives in Florida are battling mildew
Location, location, location! I battled it in the Keys, but am not having to do it here in O'Brien. There's a bit of it in the workshop where there are leaks in the roof, but I see nothing in the house at all. No smells, unless itty bitty sh1tty kitty loses control. I have the sealant for the roof and will hopefully get it on before we have the next rain.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom