I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trim is mostly done and it looks great.

llyl6N-zhN8NqLVOxxQH7KfGZCe6B7tz11AIK0h2ErMNKFQmeSPwRt9NnMAB0rVre6MXjRdlp93Agorxz-Y=w689-h918-no.jpg

ID6YvH8unkLb2WWOAXwpbArFoh81E5SKkDtufOtYuFoQ7k_BSL-lx7GrHvYuT8xVI25g-nkUEtMU5_G2hIg=w689-h918-no.jpg

There's still a few pieces missing, and that means I have to rip a few more boards and have at it. I'm thinking of doing the white HDF in the doors as well and staining the exposed wood to match. It looks so sad compared to the rest of the shop. :(

This also means that I have hours of organizing to do. Things like adding mono rings to brushes so they can be easily hung on a cup hook.

iJS1ST9qpY6ayRSiXxkjcpfX23IZ9xIr6oEdRuZSX6uiuTw9AEVU4W_pBeq2dq10kZo-aFiJ1E1uOFg7BVU=w689-h918-no.jpg

uqziWV8lJPxWmJXAwt7u59Ze_hEpAqOgAWS6RbtbBbBpiF_AY_Z59an9CRf2ExWqC3o-gykSxujf5wESCps=w689-h918-no.jpg

Dan and his daughter came for the weekend and got to enjoy the fire ring! The photos are uploading, so I'll post them later.

Reactions: mdb
Nice. What are you considering for the overhead? Would it make sense to run dust collection ducts and maybe LP air piping before finishing it off?
I actually like the overhead the way it is. I do plan to insulate and seal the roof. I'll probably squirt something on the rafters and insulation to make it look consistent, but the headroom is good. It makes it feel like a workshop! :D

I actually like the overhead the way it is.

I concur if you can seal and insulate to your satisfaction. Do you have a spray foam installer within a reasonable distance? It's expensive compared to matt or loose insulation but will seal far better and add a surprising amount of strength -- though no structural engineer that I know of can give you credit for it. You have to be careful to get the type that is has some sort of fire-rating if inspections are a concern though (most are normally covered with sheetrock). If not, it is really easy to install an uninspected DIY fire sprinkler system using PEX, which is also outstanding for shop LP air.

Love the little cowgirl boots! Future Scuba Diver!
That was her first day in jeans and Cowgirl boots... she loved them. Not as much as she loves her daddy. She really wanted to play with the kitties, but only Ma~ would agree to the abuse. :D In fact, as I was holding Silt so she could pet her. Silt went pfffftht! and startled her to tears. No blood was shed, but feelings were def hurt. Silt was in constant hiding until they left. Then she became uber cuddly.
Do you have a spray foam installer within a reasonable distance?
I simply can't afford it. I'll probably be using the cheap foam board I used on the walls. I'll paint it before I install it to reduce the subsequent mess. The spray foam would ruin the look as well. There's no AC or heat in the shop, so there's no need to have ultra efficient insulation in the roof. When I build the big house, I will be using it there, for the very reasons you're citing.

You have to be careful to get the type that is has some sort of fire-rating if inspections are a concern
Just a note: outbuildings require no permits or inspections here in Suwannee County. Apparently, there's even a way to validate outbuildings after-the-fact for habitation. I don't know the process and I don't want or need to explore it.

The PEX interests me. I've been using 1/2" type L for my compressor and silver soldering the joints to be sure. I will be installing a compressor soon (when it gets here) and still have my old manifold from the last install. PEX only has 150 psi max, which is close to the 140psi I have my compressor set to. It's big enough to run any air tool they make, including my 1" impact driver and random orbit sander.

ll probably be using the cheap foam board I used on the walls.

I'm no guru on venting but it is a really big deal all over the county to prevent dry rot (as you probably know). I avoided the whole problem by using SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) on the roof, as much for wildfire resistance as the R49 insulation. We're right on a canyon that will burn one day.

The PEX interests me.

We used PEX for hydronic heating, potable water, fire sprinklers in the shop (below the living floor in a walkout basement), and shop LP air. Great stuff to work with and has a very long history in Europe. You just have to protect it from direct UV.

It also has a safe failure mode for air (unlike PVC). I used a cool trick to minimize pressure drop in the air line. I ran the PEX overhead in a full loop around the shop with both ends terminating at a large Tee on the compressor's volume tank. I also added a Scuba tank that failed hydro at the opposite side of the loop from the compressor to act as a small volume tank (mounted to the wall, neck-down).

Comments based upon my experiences - When you choose your PEX remember that the tools and fittings are not uniform. Different brands use different fittings and tools. Also - up-size your PEX. I prefer the 3/4", even though the installation is more expensive, because there is less pressure drop than the 1/2". Build your shop air system in a complete loop and include provision for condensate to drain to a low point, where you install a drain valve. Consider running the loop around the shop low on the wall so each tee faces 'up' as it runs to the outlet fitting. That will keep condensate from collecting and getting into the tools, or worse, into your paint gun.
About the rafters - one of my best results for a garage ceiling was done up by installing 1 1/2" foam board loosely against the inside of the roof wood layer. I used 1X2 strips nailed to the sides of the rafters against the bottom side of the foam insulation. I then installed sheet rock between the rafters screwed in to the 1X2 strips leaving an air space between the sheet rock and the foam board to reduce condensation. I sprayed a thin-bodied texture paint all over the sheet rock and the exposed wood followed by a spray coat of white latex barn paint.
The faced foam board that you have on the walls might work well in this situation instead of foam board and sheet rock that I used.
After that we used surface-mounted electrical fixtures and EMT for the lights and outlets. Not much expense and it radically improved the lighting in the garage.

YMMV

DC

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom