I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Rjack, with all due respect, that was a comment and part of a discussion about a DIR requirement. I didn't see anything on the forum that said I had to be teaching DIRF to be allowed a comment.

That said, unless you are decompressing by computer, decompression should be to the foot, and is measured at the sternum. That my friend is Decompressing It Right.

Unless you're taking DIRF or have experience with the requirements of Tech1 please butt out. A 1ft standard is much tighter than the written requirements for the class DIRF is supposedly preparing you for.

You really don't know what your talking about since computers are not even used for deco here. Should be measured at the *******

rjack321:
Unless you're taking DIRF or have experience with the requirements of Tech1 please butt out. You really don't know what your talking about since computers are not even used for deco here.

Should be measured at the *******
Exactly my point, no computers means that the permissible depth tolerance for decompression is one foot, if that too DIR for DIR, well ... then there's a real problem. I really wonder why you are whining about a standard that makes sense given the requirements of decompression? It's a standard that I've seen literally hundreds of entry level students easily complete. The problem is not that the standard is too strict, it's that the student's prior training is woefully inadequate. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Thalassamania:
Exactly my point, no computers means that the permissible depth tolerance is one foot. Might I suggest that you I do know what I'm talking about, and that I really wonder why you are whining about a standard that makes sense given the requirements of decompression and a standard that I've seen literally hundreds of entry level students easily complete. The problem is not that the standard is too strict, it's that the student's prior training is woefully inadequate. But that's a whole 'nother story.
You've seen hundreds of entry level students shoot a lift bag or do a valve drill with 1' variance in depth?

xiSkiGuy:
You've seen hundreds of entry level students shoot a lift bag or do a valve drill with 1' variance in depth?
and order pizza.

The rest are just hacks.

xiSkiGuy:
That's not what I said.

RTodd:
You are absolutely correct. Since she is solo diving with a pony bottle, all of the above is completely unnecessary.

And therefore it does not belong in this forum. Since I have a feeling you just forgot to type that.

And neither do posts like Blox's post toasting the non-DIR principles being espoused by certain individuals.

Thalassamania:
That's not what I said.
Well that was what was being discussed: The standards of buoyancy variance while performing skills necessary to pass the class. Not just holding stops.

xiSkiGuy:
Well that was what was being discussed: The standards of buoyancy variance while performing skills necessary to pass the class. Not just holding stops.
Then I am guilty of not paying complete attention and I appologize.

Might I enquire though, what the problem holding depth at plus or minus a foot is? Granted task loads can make that more diffiicult, an s-drill is rather trivial, though I know from personal experience that a bag-shoot can sometimes turn into a crap shoot.

I felt I got a lot of instruction on my Fundamentals course. Our trim was weak, so we got a lot of very specific 'how-to' on that. I had a lot of problems with the helicopter turns, and the instructor spent ages going over them with me. It didn't necessarily help, in that my brain understood how to do them, but my feet couldn't work it out. But I can't say my instructor didn't try.

The pace of the course can be disconcerting. After we learnt the minimum deco ascent drill, we practiced it 2-3 times, until we had the idea of it, then we moved on to the next thing. I would have been happy to do it another 30 times at that point, but there isn't time for that during the class. Another thing is that the more complex drills are broken down into steps. You learn the first step, and get feedback, advice on that, and then learn the next step. You don't necessarily go over and over the first step till you've mastered it You have to remember to apply what you just learnt, while you are learning the next bit. For me, the class was always fun-challenging, not overwhelming-challenging. Having watched my instructor teach different people with a range of abilities, I would say that he is always trying to pitch it at that level. There is a limit to how much much you can slow the course down, though, and still cover everything. There is a lot in it.

As to when to do it, I had about 70 dives, and my buddy for the course had about 50. Personal attention - very small class size, so yeah, heaps.

rainman_02:
And therefore it does not belong in this forum. Since I have a feeling you just forgot to type that.

And neither do posts like Blox's post toasting the non-DIR principles being espoused by certain individuals.

I made the assumption that everyone actually contributing to the forum would realise the sarcasm and that the posters with drool on their shirts would just ignore anything that blatant anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom