I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
Thanks. Seeing as I did the class at the tech standards, I'm pretty sure I know what was needed. My complaint is against moving the focus away from standards, which were clearly designed to get students ready for safe diving and future courses. Sure, wanting to aspire to greater standards is wonderful, but it MUST be tempered with gaining experience. It's clear some students are missing that. That's ALL I'm pointing ouit. Got it?

The standards are pretty well defined and are laid out on day one. If an instructor is deviating from the standards then it’s an instructor deciding that he will interpret the standards as he sees fit. I would think that this should be addressed to GUE directly by the students of that class.

The course is tempered to gaining experience. My rec pass tells me I need to go do some practice dives with the local DIR crowd and practice ascent/descent drills, iron out the wrinkles in my S and V drills, and work on dive planning and over all team awareness.

Whereas the guy that got a tech pass in the class is deemed ready by Steve White to move on to a Tech 1 or Cave 1 class if he so chooses.

Im sorry, I guess I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.

David Watson:
And as for you insulting me as a diver, why don't you contact my instructors Mike Kane or AG and ask them what they think. Then you can contact any of the many people in SoCal I dive with and the instructors at pretty much every dive shop in the area. When you find someone that tells you I'm not competent or a solid diver, I'll back down and cease from posting in this forum. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.

David

Dude, are you kidding me ? You still haven't figured out how to route your light correctly ! :wink:

Seriously, I can't think of many divers I'd rather have on my team than David. He's as solid as they come in the water.

*** mod post ***

divers please... im sorry i cant give this thread and your forum the educated attention that it requires but i do ask that you keep your answers within the DIR scope.

please respect this forum and its participates

im taking your opinions here, should i just shut this thread down??

*** mod post ***

Sloth:
The current DIR-f class places a heavy emphasis on diver and team awareness, not just skills, buoyancy and trim. To get a tech pass you have to demonstrate team awareness skills at a tech level

It depends on the instructor. You should expect to meet the published minimum standards ... at a minimum.

riguerin:
It depends on the instructor. You should expect to meet the published minimum standards ... at a minimum.

I suppose you are right. Maybe Steven placed a heavy emphasis on team awareness as we were all in "tech" gear and some of the students had a desire to continue to cave 1.

Sloth:
I suppose you are right. Maybe Steven placed a heavy emphasis on team awareness as we were all in "tech" gear and some of the students had a desire to continue to cave 1.

No , you're spot on. If you show up in "Tech" gear, it is reasonable to assume that you have a basic working knowledge of "gear" functionality ... plus all the other GUE standards.

As a fairly new diver who want to become a DIR I see little of value in this whole thread.

You have a new guy who does not prepare for the class and then quits and doesn't finish the class.

Then you have a bunch of people many of whom have never taken the class complaining about the standards for GUE-F. And others who have taken the class defending them. Neither side is doing a really great job of making their point.

None of this chat helps a single person become a better diver or do any of it right.

I have found DIR divers to have been the most helpful to me in my diving education. Most of that has taken place via PM and email to avoid these useless threads.

To the OP here is my advice coming from a new diver: If you are going to emark on a new diving challenge whatever that may be--make sure you are prepared and know what you are getting into whether is be a class or some dive in challenging conditions.

To those who are not DIR and think the diving standards are worthless or whatever, go dive your way and have a good time. It is ok if everyone doesn't dive the way you do. Why can't people freely take a class and try to meet the standards you think are worthless or too hard?

To those who are DIR rather than just complaining about other people posting non DIR answers take the opportunity to explain in a nice way the standard and the reason for it. You just might make a few converts.

Well while you guys go back to arguing, I am working on putting together a group of DIR divers and slowly but surely we will learn the standards and improve our diving skills. I will have excellent buoyancy. I will have proper trim. I will hover without effort. I will learn to kick without kicking up the silt. I learn to be more aware both of my buddy and the beauty around me. It has been a long road for me not having any mentors in the area, but it will happen.

By the way, I would like to do a roll call on the thread. Would each of you who have so passionately been arguing please post your dive training and experience?

almitywife:
*** mod post ***

divers please... im sorry i cant give this thread and your forum the educated attention that it requires but i do ask that you keep your answers within the DIR scope.

please respect this forum and its participates

im taking your opinions here, should i just shut this thread down??

*** mod post ***

I have benefited from this thread.

My previous "ignore user" selection(s) evidently omitted the know it all disrupters, leaving a wealth of good/usable information.

:coffee:

I have some follow up questions for those that are protesting and have issue with the DIR standards:

First what is your level of training?

Have you been DIR trained?

Do you wish to be DIR trained?

If you have not been DIR trained--what actual steps are you taking in that direction?

If you are not DIR trained and don't wish to be why are you posting in the DIR section? What benefit is it to you?? How is it helping you even though you don't want the training or the philosophy?

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
I have some follow up questions for those that are protesting and have issue with the DIR standards:

First what is your level of training?

Have you been DIR trained?

Do you wish to be DIR trained?

If you have not been DIR trained--what actual steps are you taking in that direction?

If you are not DIR trained and don't wish to be why are you posting in the DIR section? What benefit is it to you?? How is it helping you even though you don't want the training or the philosophy?

Wow! That sounds almost like the beginnings of a GI3 rant!:14:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom