I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello from the state of NY . I am not thin. I am not huge huge huge but there is enough more of me than i would like. I also am always aware of it...here is what i know, there are an untold amount of obese men who dive. I mean i have never seen so many huge men. They are all sweet, they are all of financial means and they love to dive, so why should women be different?
I dont see them hiding behind big tee shirts on SI or sarongs, I hope that you can somehow be at peace with your size and the fact that you found something in our crazy stressful world that you love to do.
Make sure your healthy so that your sugars and BP are ok when you dive , then forget the world and go down and have a great freaking time. ok....ok!!!!

Luvspoodles, first I want to thank you for the bravery you showed in posting a topic that most of us would rather not address. I am male, 6'0" and ~220 lbs. (an even 100 kilos - hey, "Body by Microsoft"!), so I hear you loud and clear.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm somewhat out of shape, and I was surprised to learn how little physical effort is required in diving, at least when you're in the water. I had a time swimming the 100 meters and back to qualify for my PADI OW certificate, but I did it just fine even though I finished last. Yay for me!

The feeling of weightlessness when underwater was exhilarating, and when you're down below and just sightseeing among the reef, once you're neutrally buoyant you just kick lightly and enjoy the view. This is not a sport where you need to be in top physical condition (though I'm sure it helps), and if you look around the dive boat you'll see all types, and all of them hopefully out to have a good time diving, and not worrying about rating you on a 1-10 scale.

Lastly, I *know* that in a wetsuit I look like the Michelin Man. I'm here to dive, not win the swimsuit competition. If someone wants to think I look funny, no arguments here and I won't give power to their comments by letting it make me feel bad. You go ahead and have your laughs, guys, I'm going diving. Have a nice life!

What's your experience in BCDs, ladies, for the non-twiggish among us? I'll cop to being 5'4" and a size 16/18 (thanks to the hips...getting pants to fit my *waist* is another rant entirely).

For BCs, I was on the cusp of a guy's L/XL during my OWD training, and ended up in the XL. However, being my height, the BC was naturally kind of long, and with a waist that's about 14" less than my hips, the cummerbund kept wanting to slide up on me. I ended up with the shoulders around my ears a few times after surface inflation. Workable for training gear or a rental where your options are limited, but if I'm putting money out for my own equipment, I want more comfort and better fit than that.

But looking at BCs built for women (Hera, Ladyhawke, Diva, Libra, etc.), they don't quite go up to my size, usually thanks to one measurement or another. I've heard good things about the Zeagle Zena and its adjustability, but not sure if the L would fit me...?

Anyone have recommendations on the matter? Also, I'm in cold water, and wearing a 7mm wetsuit, which might affect some opinions.

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations on the matter? Also, I'm in cold water, and wearing a 7mm wetsuit, which might affect some opinions.

I am also 5' 4" and a size 16, normally wearing a 7mm wetsuit. I bought the Mares Kaila and love the way it fits me. I got a size M but it is adjusted out as far as it can go (which means I need to stop eating leftover Halloween candy!!). The L just felt a little to long for me as I have a short waist.

The only thing I need to purchase is a wetsuit and I keep putting it off thinking I'll lose weight....or just go to a drysuit where it won't matter as much if I do gain/lose throughout the year.

Thanks for the recommend, MtnPlay; I may check out the Kaila, though based on the specs it might not quite make it on fitting me, with the hips and a D-sized chest. :wink: Still, not looking to buy a BC before spring anyhow, so one never knows.

Being large doesn't mean you're not physically active; I actually played ice hockey six days a week for six years in middle/high school and still didn't drop below a size 12/14. (Besides, even now in grad school the lingering muscle from that's probably helped me in lugging my dive gear... :D)

I think only one girl in my dive class gave me, and the larger guy in the class, minor grief on the matter. But when we got to Dutch Springs she was complaining she was cold in a 7mm jacket and farmer John and was hoovering down her tank like crazy.

So I think we need to try to look on the bright side! If you're a bigger gal, you've got natural insulation and natural buoyancy. So that makes surface floating and staying warm a lot easier, and not freezing or drowning is always good, right? :thumbs-up

Hello, If you've seen some of my previous posts on this subject (male or female) you may think that I'm against overweight/unfit people diving. That's not really the case, rather I just wanted to say that I think YOU have the RIGHT attitude. You are trying to get into shape and not make any excuses for it. Whether you are doing it for the betterment and safety of your diving, for yourself, or whatever... you want to do it and you are DOING it! That's GREAT and I think that's the attitude EVERYONE should have about being fit, regardless of what sport they do or don't do. Just do it cause it's better to do so.

Corglacier7 - let me know if you ever need a dive buddy at Dutch Springs! I live in NoVA and have been up there a few times.

LuvsPoodles - do what you enjoy doing and to heck with the others.

2 Comments that I have.

I have to tell you - this is such a chick thing, please let it go. Think about it. How many postings do you see of men commenting on their shape and attractiveness in a wetsuit? And, as to the comment about how much weight you dive with and losing weight.... well, look around the dive boat, and you will be amazed at the various body conditions of your fellow divers.

Heck, if diving was only available to lean, toned, muscular people in the prime of health, dive shops would be dropping out of business faster than the fall of housing prices in Detroit.

HAVE A GREAT DIVE TRIP. ENJOY YOURSELF. Dive within your physical and emotional limits. Don't be afraid to ask your buddy for assistance with your gear if your footing is off or something is too heavy.

And if someone has the NERVE to say anything to you at all, my advice: Look him/her straight in the eyes, hold her chin up, and calmly and politely tell them that their advice and wisdom is neither requested nor solicited.

Then wwwaaayyyy under your breath, as you turn away, consider yourself lucky that you are not stuck with that dolt for more than a boat ride.

My other comment - regarding how you look in a wetsuit... Personally, I don't think I've seen a woman outside a the pages of a retail magazine that looked sexy in a wetsuit. I am convinced that the women posing in Henderson wetsuits are airbrushed.

I am 5'2" - barely a 110 lbs soaking wet, with moderate tone in my muscles. Newsflash- I can't stand my image in a 7mm 2pc. I have bulges and bumps where I least expect them. But, I don't care. It is supposed to keep me warm and comfortable. I have not met a single woman while diving who looked like those Henderson models in their wetsuit. My point is, I don't think it would matter what your size is, you would probably be self-conscience regardless because wetsuits will never flatter a person's body like a great pair of fitting jeans.

The only people who matter in determining if you are "fit to dive" are 1) You. 2) Your physician. 3) Your primary instructor.

The rest of us out in the diving community should never have an impact on your decision to submerge.

Good Job trying to lose the weight..I know its tough..I have to battle my weight all the time..I'm what you'd call in the horse world, 'an easy keeper'...I just have to smell food to put on weight...at 5'4" I'm a fluffy 145...but in very good cardio shape..I work out 5 days or more a week...I eat mostly Jenny Craig..and Im still losing..

All the above said, Diving in Calif. is rough and demanding. You need to be in good shape cardio and strength wise...You have to be able to take care of yourself and not endanger others... you also need to be comfortable with your abilities and your body...don't let the fear of what others may say scare you...I don't think you'll have a problem...you could just as easily run into a jerk that would make a rude comment because you have red hair or a peg leg...or what ever...there are always jerks out there..

However, you shouldnt be expecting that you need someone to "take" care of you because of your physical conditioning...if your a good independent diver I don't see why anyone would have an issue with you...

In case some of u didn't notice, luvpoodles posted this thread in 2006... Hopefully she continues to enjoy diving. Of course the thread is still relevant now!

Back
Top Bottom