If you could ask TSA two questions..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta love scubaboard :) At least we both like to dive, thats something we have in common.

Part of "the diving community" you might say!

:D

I am done arguing with anyone on the basis of demographics, I can live knowing we dont agree on that. I would like to return to the original point of this thread, if you would like to argue anything else start a post and have at it yourself.

I agree that you need to profile an individual to narrow the down the search for people looking to harm United States interests and citizens. However the bases of that search should not be race, ethnicity, religion, or nationality...

Hrmm so out of the 5,771,939,007 people on earth you saw the 1,482,596,925 Muslims all dancing in the street, 26% of the ENTIRE world population was celebrating this?

Stats obtained from here:...

Sorry, but I just had to point this out. Now as to the original point of the thread.

Thank you for posting some of the response that you received.

...One point that this gentleman made was that flying is not a right that you have it is a privilege and therefore by flying you accept the security screening and its procedures.
An interesting statement that needs context to fully understand what he meant. If the statement stands on its own, it appears to me to be someone that has been asked similar questions many times and does not have a direct answer to them. The fall back position is that "we do what we do and you have to accept it." I cannot agree with this position. The TSA, or similar agency in other countries, provides a service to help maintain the security of air travel. They do not set policy, they should be following and consistently applying policy. A number of questions that were asked (those that were not facetious) seemed to be aimed at why the approach is significantly different across the whole TSA. I don't have any trouble with certain aspects, but when there is a different interpretation or understanding of the policy such that an item is acceptable in one location, but not acceptable in another, then it demonstrates a lack of consistency. This is troubling.

The "its a privilege not a right" line just irkes me. I am sorry but its neither its a service I have paid for. and the screening is a service Americans pay for. a privilege means they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they are not. They are doing security because congress mandated it. and I am flying because I paid for it, and the company I paid is doing it to make a profit not to do me a favor.

Wow, I didn't realize that every single muslim in the US was dancing in the street all at one time. I can't imagine how I missed that. Come to think of it...
:shakehead:

Where does anyone say this, I searched but haven't found the thread?

The "its a privilege not a right" line just irkes me. I am sorry but its neither its a service I have paid for. and the screening is a service Americans pay for. a privilege means they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they are not. They are doing security because congress mandated it. and I am flying because I paid for it, and the company I paid is doing it to make a profit not to do me a favor.

You need to get a dictionary.

priv·i·lege (prĭv'ə-lĭj, prĭv'lĭj) noun: a particluar or specific advantage, immunity, permission, access, or benefit granted to an individual or group, usually as a prerogative of status or rank or otherwise reserved exclusively by a particular person or group and exercised to the exclusion or detriment of others.

ie: flying is not a "right" but rather a privilege reserved for those who buy a ticket and agree to be bound by the terms of conditions of that ticket

Wow, I didn't realize that every single muslim in the US was dancing in the street all at one time. I can't imagine how I missed that. Come to think of it...

Where does anyone say this, I searched but haven't found the thread?

Hmmm. I didn't have to look far:

...it hasn't been one member of the muslim community, it's been muslims as a whole communities who have indicated by dancing in the street when it comes to killing Americans, who want you dead...

I think you made a mistake, as it hasn't been one member of the muslim community, it's been muslims as a whole communities who have indicated by dancing in the street when it comes to killing Americans, who want you dead because they don't believe in freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, ect., 911 was more than just a crime and an act.

Sorry, but I just had to point this out. Now as to the original point of the thread.

Thank you for posting some of the response that you received.

An interesting statement that needs context to fully understand what he meant. If the statement stands on its own, it appears to me to be someone that has been asked similar questions many times and does not have a direct answer to them. The fall back position is that "we do what we do and you have to accept it." I cannot agree with this position. The TSA, or similar agency in other countries, provides a service to help maintain the security of air travel. They do not set policy, they should be following and consistently applying policy. A number of questions that were asked (those that were not facetious) seemed to be aimed at why the approach is significantly different across the whole TSA. I don't have any trouble with certain aspects, but when there is a different interpretation or understanding of the policy such that an item is acceptable in one location, but not acceptable in another, then it demonstrates a lack of consistency. This is troubling.

I know I said I wasnt but I couldnt help myself :)

Being relatively new to SB, my guess is that it is okay to hijack your own thread???

With that statement, ask the TSA guy what they can do to prevent people from hijacking threads?

Maybe random searches of keyboards??

Okay I'll stop.

RJP your defenition includes this "usually as a prerogative of status or rank or otherwise reserved exclusively by a particular person or group and exercised to the exclusion or detriment of others."

People who buy a ticket are not necassarily given a special status or rank, they have entered into a contract or agreement. Also flying is not exercised to the detriment of others.

once you sign a contract it is not a privilege but both parties have an obligation to fulfill the contract , unlike a privilege which can be revoked for any reason i.e. a drop in rank or status, or leaving the specified group.

Back
Top Bottom