ignorance almost killed me yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points..I was jumping to conclusions. If a seamonster or drainage pipe sucked snuggle down, that would have been a key event in the chain of events that led to the accident.

That's what I can't figure out. After you went into the water, snuggle, what happened next? There's no "undertow" in Lake St. Clair. There's hardly any current except near the shipping channel out in the middle. The average depth is about 15 feet.

What were your symptoms, what was the diagnosis in the hospital? What was the condition of your gear? How much air in your tank? What's in your medical history that might have contributed to this? Why did this event happen?????

WJL once bubbled...
That's what I can't figure out. After you went into the water, snuggle, what happened next? There's no "undertow" in Lake St. Clair. There's hardly any curent except near the shipping channel out in the middle. The average depth is about 15 feet.

What were your symptoms, what was the diagnosis in the hospital? What was the condition of your gear? How much air in your tank? What's in your medical history that might have contributed to this? Why did this event happen?????
I was pretty quick to chalk it up to a new drysuit diver diving solo, but am pretty curious about all the stuff you brought up in your post..

is that in reading your post it doesn't seem like you remember ditching your belt. That would lead me to wonder if there was some sort of blackout or seizure that could have been the underlying cause.

Again I am very thankful that you are safe now.

Chad

Since we're guessing, how about an inexperienced diver solo diving with unfamiliar equipment, over-weighted, stepped into a hole, off a ledge, whatever, causing immediate submersion which then lead to simple panic?

WW

With the description of Snuggle's incident in Lake St. Clair, I wondered if you ran into a partial reg freeze. On Sunday cat and I were diving in Lake Superior, (water temperatures between 37°F and 35°F / 2-3°C). We surfaced to reorient ourselves, and my reg started to freeze on the way up. I'd had enough experience not to panic, but to breath slowly and deeply. I wonder if the same thing happened to you. If I'd been concentrating on weighting and bouyancy, I think I could have hyperventilated and got into more serious trouble. It also helped that I knew cat was close by if I needed a new source of air in a hurry.

Matt

Glad to hear you're ok.

Do you have any existing medical conditions that could have caused this? Did the Doc give you any info on why you can't remember?

Also, can you pleassssse capitalize your sentances, rather than "...". It makes your posts difficult to read.

Darryl

MWC once bubbled...
With the description of Snuggle's incident in Lake St. Clair, I wondered if you ran into a partial reg freeze. On Sunday cat and I were diving in Lake Superior, (water temperatures between 37°F and 35°F / 2-3°C).

Water temps are a bit higher here already. More like about 39-43 F, with the higher temps in shallow water like Lake St. Clair.

WJL once bubbled...

Water temps are a bit higher here already. More like about 39-43 F, with the higher temps in shallow water like Lake St. Clair.

I've also seen, (but not experienced) reg freezing in water in the 39-43°F range. It helps to know roughly what the temperature involved was. Thanks.
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom