I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't complain too much and give them a chance. Next time ask for a discount and tell them what you can get stuff for online, etc. Most shops will compromise if asked. You can't expect people to just offer discounts and it's perfectly normal for any shop, not just scuba shops, to sell stuff at recommended retail. No sense complaining now.

I think they probably do it because they have overhead they have to pay for, the little guy can never compete with the online guys or a huge mega store, the difference is you get face to face service, which is what you're really paying for.

sjspeck:
Can a ScubaPro dealer sell a reg at less than suggested retail? I thought they couldn't. LP gets away with it by offering their warranty/service in place of ScubaPro's.
Depends on who you ask. According to ScubaPro, they can't. However that seems a bit gangster-like to me. Last time I checked we had a free market economy and price-fixing doesn't fit into that picture.

Brian

no dive shop is goign to give any newbie favours by heavily discounting their sales.... they just arent

welcome to scubaboard and diving... may the internet be your new friends and happy shopping..... do give your LDS the chance to discount but i would get to know Larry at ScubaToys if i was you

cheers

Next time you go to buy something from them, just say, you know I could have bought that reg setup online last time but I came to you....Think you can help me out on this next purchase and keep me from going online by giving me a better price? Just plain and simple......if you dont ask, your not going to get.........

Bullswan:
What do you think I should do?
Last monday I asked my LDS (where my son and I took our dive classes) to put together a Scubapro MK2 w/ R190 and a R190 octo for my son for Christmas. I didn't ask for the price but figured since this guy was so good about answering all my stupid questions blah, blah, blah. . . What would you do if you were in this position? Greg

You got a great regulator, at retail, with friendly service from a local dive shop. Don't feel buyers remorse, many inexperienced online shoppers end up with inferior regulators that can't be fixed in a couple of years. Treat your Local Dive Shop like a gold mine of knowledge. . . Need a wetsuit that fits. . . A BC that fits? Need an air refill? Need service? Only a good local shop can be there when you need them. Next time take more time to shop and in a friendly way ask if you can get a better price.

Need a dive slate, the new toy of the year, floats, all the little junk that we all buy, it's one size fits all. . . turn to the online stores.

I pay retail to my LDS, and it is significantly more than I could get it for on line. I don't mind too much because there are a fair amount of intangibles that come along with it. I will only buy regs/tanks etc once every 10 (?) years or so but access to a pool to train, air/mix fills/trips/training/a buddy network I will need much more frequently. Even if the LDS charges double of what I could get if for online I am keenly aware that most purchases on which one tends to feel screwed (relative to online retailers) are "one time" items for all intends and purposes.

I've seen Scubapro shops that promised their students the allowed 10% discount on gear during the training classes. If no such offer was intimated, I would guess full retail is their norm.

Every thing is negotiable, including to a point Scubapro prices. But as others have said, if you don't ask, you don't have room to complain for not getting.

I never buy anything without a price check. if I think it's too high, I have choice. I can ask if they can make me a better deal on it. I can choose a different model. I can decide to buy it. or if i want it but it's too much, I can save up for it.

Or I can shop around & see what else I come up with.

But i never, ever go into my LDS & say "Give me Gizmo X, please" without asking how much that gizmo is going to cost me.

I say shop around before making a major purchase. If the LDS wants your business make them earn it. A little competition is a good thing, you never know it may help weed out the bad/poorly run dive shops from the good ones. Its your money and if you feel ripped off...then its your job to make sure you don't let it happen in the future.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom