I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that dive shop ripped you off. No excuse for charging the maximum he can get away with. HOWEVER, EVERY manufacturer has a minimum retail price authorized dealers are allowed to sell at. IF they go below this price, they stand the risk of losing their status as an authorized dealer. Ask the dealer for the MAP price. You can be sure it is below $400 for what you bought.
I got a MK11 / R295 for around $220 from my LDS. I know the R190 is cheaper.
Buying from Leisure Pro is not the answer. They ARE NOT authorized dealers for most of the products they sell. The old adage you pay for what you get applies when buying regulators, BCDs and other such equipment from Leisure Pro. You may or may not get gear with regulation parts. You WILL NOT get a manufacturer's warranty. Yes, I am aware Leisure Pro says they offer their own warranty but if I buy Oceanic, XS Scuba, ScubaPro, etc, I want THE manufacturer's warranty and I want to be sure I am getting the gear Exactly as the manufacturer made it.
In short, I would approach the LDS, complain that you think you were taken advantage of and would appreciate either a rebate or pricing on future products to make buying there worthwhile for you. Otherwise, you will take your business elsewhere.
Even if there are only a small number of shops in your area, competition will force him to sell to you reasonably.
Businesses that think they can exploit there customers soon realize exploited customers find other sources and vendors.
Merry Christmas.

if you feel like you made a mistake, then theres always other dive shops

Yea, he certainly couldnt of made the Leisurepro price, but the fact that you have been a customer before and he didnt help you out at all, is saddening to say the least.

I will explain further to tell you that having a LOCAL person to talk to is important to me. ESPECIALLY when it is something as critical as a regulator for my son. The fact that he is a Scubapro dealer meant a lot to me in that he will help me with the annual inspections, help me if there are any problems with the regulators, and basically be my local rep. I understand completely that there is a premium to pay for these things.

I just think it was VERY bad business to charge a person that he knows to be at the very beginning of the purchase train FULL PRICE without an explanation. I've been in there maybe 10 times including the classes. Sometime he could have explained to all of us that that this is, in fact, a retail shop and here is what I will do for that price vs. what you get elsewhere?

I think I put the purchase of the regulators in a completely different catagory than all the other stuff I need to buy. From here on out I will be an educated consumer and probably will get to know Larry and the folks at Divers Direct (I visited them in Florida and if they were local I would have bought my regs there)

It is a shame but I have learned my lesson and I will be handling future purchases the way one of the prior posters suggested......... "I could have purchased the regs elsewhere but I didn't so what are you going to do ......."

Thanks again for you time and I appreciate being welcomed to the forum as well!!!!!
Greg

My LDS lists on their website that they price match online ads. About 3 years ago, I was in the shop with a print out from LP listing a dive light at a very good price.

To make a long story short, they honored the price match but not without arguing about it.

The LDS shouldn't have listed that they price match online ads if they didn't want to do it without attempting to degrade customers.

Have I been back to that LDS? Yes, for air fills and for a class.

Otherwise, it's Scubatoys all the way! It's only a 3 hr drive for me IF I need to try on a suit or BC. Other that that, it's Scubatoys online.

Next time I would recommend that you ASK what your price would be before you make your deccision. I'm sure they'll work with you since you and your son did training with them and you may continue to do so in the future. Just my 2 psi. :D

When you go in to a clothes store do you ask the lady at the desk for a rebate? "I have bought Abercrombie here before do you think you could knock 10$ off my sweater"

When looking at a meal on a menu and you see 15$ are you expecting to see 10$ on the bill because you've eaten there before?

If there was a sale advertised and he charged you full price, then you can complain.

Just because you bought something before does not entitle you to a rebate. He could offer one if he wanted and you could ask for one and hope for a favorable reply but to EXPECT one without asking?

Be a bit more responsible for yourself and your money. Don't go blaming a shop because you weren't diligent.

**RANT OVER**

mattroz:
When you go in to a clothes store do you ask the lady at the desk for a rebate? "I have bought Abercrombie here before do you think you could knock 10$ off my sweater"

When looking at a meal on a menu and you see 15$ are you expecting to see 10$ on the bill because you've eaten there before?

If there was a sale advertised and he charged you full price, then you can complain.

Just because you bought something before does not entitle you to a rebate. He could offer one if he wanted and you could ask for one and hope for a favorable reply but to EXPECT one without asking?

Be a bit more responsible for yourself and your money. Don't go blaming a shop because you weren't diligent.

**RANT OVER**

No I don't. But when I go to the pro shop at my local golf shop he recognizes me as a potential long term customer and he bends over backwards to make sure the prices aren't the same as what a "tourist" pays. If there is nothing he can do with the price he tells me so. It's good business on his part. As it would be if, in your example, the Abercrombie salesperson recognized me and gave me a courtesy discount.

Bullswan:
No I don't. But when I go to the pro shop at my local golf shop he recognizes me as a potential long term customer and he bends over backwards to make sure the prices aren't the same as what a "tourist" pays. If there is nothing he can do with the price he tells me so. It's good business on his part. As it would be if, in your example, the Abercrombie salesperson recognized me and gave me a courtesy discount.

Quick question how does he know you will be a long time customer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom