I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy:
Scubapro dealers can only discount current ScubaPro products by 10%. Leisure Pro is not an Authorized ScubaPro dealer and products purchased from Leisure Pro do not carry the ScubaPro warranty.

What he said is true!

I just warped my credit card at the local LDS myself, so I know that groggy, hungover post-purchase feeling. I try to follow three simple rules:

1. Never look back. It takes the fun out of buying stuff. (Learned that from my father who never seemed to enjoy a big purchase.)

2. Get to know the folks at the LDS. They're a storehouse of information. Yes, I probably could have paid a little less. I also got hours of informative conversation, hands on help putting things together, and an invitation to their Christmas party and dive outings.

3. Get underwater. That's why we spend the big bucks in the first place. Father and son diving together = Priceless.

I think the dive store seen dollar signs when you asked to purchase the regs without asking the price. He should have given you some sort of discount for being a student or for making a multiple purchase.

Leisure Pro is not an authorized dealer, so you do not get a Scuba Pro warranty. This may be a non-issue because some stores do not bother to check registration. However with more and more online sales more stores may.

Leisure Pro buys its products from LDS and internationally. Given the Scuba industry does not give huge volume discounts any LDS should be able to match a LP price. However, they may chose not to because once word gets out in the local community then everyone will ask for a discount and there will be customers that bought at retail who will be upset. The store may not be able to survive with such slim margins and badwill.

Unless the store or Scubapro has some sort of return policy then you are stuck with your purchase. Not much you can do now except consider it a lesson learned. You may want to nicely talk to the owner and tell him that you are not happy with having to pay full retail. Maybe he will give you free air or a free inspection when the time comes.

Bullswan:
Yup I learned my lesson that this LDS isn't apparently interested in my business like my other past-time shops (golf and snowmobiling) are. I probably would have done the same thing (bought from the LDS the regulators) for the reasons previously stated but I will be less inclined to give him a chance in other purchases in the future.

Thanks to everyone....... (even those that took me to the woodshed!)
greg
Merry Christmas
Usually you have to have bought more than your first piece of gear to be given the loyal customer discount and perks. However, you should at least discuss your feelings with the LDS. I seriously doubt that "this LDS isn't apparently interested in (your business)". They have no way of knowing that you are unhappy unless you talk to them. Tell them that you are aware that as an authorized dealer they can discount ScubaPro products as much as 10% and see if they are willing to offer you that amount in store credit.

Bullswan:
He knows (or hopes) I will be a long-term customer because he knows I am local and that his shop would be the easiest to frequent. He tries to secure my business by making me feel like a good customer. The LDS would have the same knowledge that I am local and they had also built the relationship by giving the lessons. Again, this maybe purely a case of short-sightedness when it comes to long term business. I just wondered what you guys would do if it happened to you.

Greg

Seems like a perfect opportunity to test how responsive your dive shop is. Tell 'em you are not happy and tell them what you think will make you happy. (In this case, 10% off of retail is about the going price for scubapro products - at least in my area. Asking for Leisure pro prices is not really fair given that Leisure pro is not an authorized retailer.)

By the way, if I read the industry correctly, long term relationships is not what a dive shop has with its customers. Based on what I can see, they are structured to get the bulk of the value of the customer through the initial purchases. It is during this time that they hope to get you for regs, computers, bcd's and exposure protection. Think about it, even signing up for open water classes requires about a minimum of $200 worth of gear. The bulk of open water graduates, if I understand correctly, do not pursue the sport further than the initial certification phase. Even in the specialized area of tech diving, it seems the drop out rate is pretty high. (One of the tech instructors told me that even with the hard core guys, getting no more than 2-3 years out of the sport is not unusual.)

So long story short, unlike golf, I don't think the dive shop gives a crap about the so called long term customer because that guy already has his gear and really only comes in for fills which by the way is money loser for the shop. (Okay, maybe they would prefer to have customers that stuck with the sport - ones that buy redundant gear or upgrade gear. Unfortunately, the majority don't seem to go that way.)

I learn a lot more here and on forums for local divers than I do at my LDS. Any piece of gear I am curious about, I can learn about here. Any dive site I can learn about by talking to other divers.

I use local shops for tank rentals, emergency last-minute purchases, or purchases where there is little or no price premium. Choosing to pay them, say, $60 for something that I can get at LP for $20 is nothing more than charity. (Something where the warranty is critical, like a reg, that I'll concede you may want to buy locally. But I won't look down on anyone who goes to LP. I doubt they are picking out the O-rings and substituting cheaper ones.)

If I ask the LDS to order something for me, it also takes LONGER than getting it online. I ordered a Trident rubber belt from my LDS. It took them 30 minutes to flip through their various books, add it to their inventory system, and charge me for it. That was over 2 weeks ago, and they tell me it isn't even on the way to their store yet. I certainly don't feel like I am paying for premium service.

Maybe if any of the local shops had pools so I could try stuff out, they'd be worth the price premium.

Just my $0.02.

Matt S.:
I learn a lot more here and on forums for local divers than I do at my LDS. Any piece of gear I am curious about, I can learn about here. Any dive site I can learn about by talking to other divers.

I use local shops for tank rentals, emergency last-minute purchases, or purchases where there is little or no price premium. Choosing to pay them, say, $60 for something that I can get at LP for $20 is nothing more than charity. (Something where the warranty is critical, like a reg, that I'll concede you may want to buy locally. But I won't look down on anyone who goes to LP. I doubt they are picking out the O-rings and substituting cheaper ones.)

If I ask the LDS to order something for me, it also takes LONGER than getting it online. I ordered a Trident rubber belt from my LDS. It took them 30 minutes to flip through their various books, add it to their inventory system, and charge me for it. That was over 2 weeks ago, and they tell me it isn't even on the way to their store yet. I certainly don't feel like I am paying for premium service.

Maybe if any of the local shops had pools so I could try stuff out, they'd be worth the price premium.

Just my $0.02.
Yeap.. Having the stor order something for you is not always a good thing, hehe..
On the other hand, having worked in a telecom retail store, I know how *****y the suppliers can be as well.. Doesnt help me if I order a new cellphone for you if the suppliers dont have them and have to wait for the darn factory to send them some, sadly.. And what a pain in the *** it is to explaining it to the customers :(
Wether I buy online or at the local retail store.. I always check if they have the item in stock. If not, I go elsewhere to find it..

ScubaRev:
1. Never look back. It takes the fun out of buying stuff. (Learned that from my father who never seemed to enjoy a big purchase.)
yep! enjoy them, dive safely with good health and i hope they see you thru some wonderful dives

Jorbar1551:
if you feel like you made a mistake, then theres always other dive shops
I'd go back there for the next big purchase and remind them: "You know, I could have got that reg a lot cheaper on line, but paid you full retail. This time I want a hell of a bargain, or I'm shopping."

Okay so an authorized Lds can only discount 10% on the reg. They can throw in $50 in freebies...!! Safety sausage, storm whistle, small light....?? :crafty:

I had a similar experience with my LDS. Went into the shop and told them I needed to buy two sets of gear beyond mask, fins, and snorkel. After he priced out the regs and octos with computers, (Scubapro again), he price was so high he had already exceeded my budget and I left the store to "think it over". After doing a little research, I was convinced he only showed me the Scubapro since I couldn't really "shop it". I know it's a fine product, but he never even showed me another line.
Went online and found he too, was charging full retail. At the end of the day, I wound up buying Oceanic anyway, but paid less for two sets including BCD's and snappy Apollo fins for less than what he quoted on just the regs. The regs were similar to the Scubapro in feature and benefits. In short, I gladly would have paid him 20 to 25% more just to have the convenience of going back so he could explain the computer, or help me adjust the regs, etc. The price he wanted for that "warm fuzzy" was just too high. Escpecially since you can not only buy gear online but such a wealth of information about it is here on the boards. I don't need him so much when I can post here and the Oceanic rep answers my questions about my gear in a few hours.
About going back in and renegotiating with him, it was never an option. Once he tried to gut me on the regs I didn't really want to pursue a purchase with him. And as far as his overhead goes, I get that. Everyone's gotta make a buck. But these guys really have to look at their business model and rethink thier ideas about the "hit and run" high net sale vs. a long term selling relationship.
Disclaimer: I'm probably going to get hate mail from every LDS, this was just MY experience, and I'm sure there are thousands of guys out there doing the "right thing" for their repeat customers and former students. Mine didn't.

Back
Top Bottom