I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it comes down to "comparison shop before the purchase, not after the purchase".
I try to avoid looking how much I could save after I bought something.. feels horrible.. but sometimes irresistible. I throw money at my LDSs sometimes (training, dives, small stuff, gas, travel, repair & maintenance), but buy online when the savings are big and to also get flexibility that some LDSs don't have. I do ask the LDS what they will discount and have found it not to meet my requirements most of the time. I buy used sometimes too (ebay, craigslist, scubaboard) and then pay the LDS to overhaul. That way, I think everyone wins. (me, the seller, the LDS)

Understood... but are there really Diving tourists in New Hampshire? Just like Montreal the Dive industry isn't huge. Chances are if he gave you the 10% He'd have to give the whole diving community 10%.. Why should he even have a retail price then? And if you're an extra special client why can't you get a 10% more than everyone else. I know for us here in Montreal things cost more than they do in Florida because were such a small tight knit community so the shops aren't willing to bargain.

Of course I could be completely wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe next time ask before.

P.S sorry about my last post. didnt mean to attack you but I get asked for discounts all day so I have a lot of built up anger.

Well besides FL, i'm also in CT and repeat customers definently get some help from dive shops regardless of the lack of scuba tourism.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that the OP should have asked about the price before he purchased the item.

It just seems like common sense. I even do this at restaurants. If a menu item price is listed as "Market price", (usually for seafood) then I want to know the price BEFORE I choose it.

He knows (or hopes) I will be a long-term customer because he knows I am local and that his shop would be the easiest to frequent. He tries to secure my business by making me feel like a good customer. The LDS would have the same knowledge that I am local and they had also built the relationship by giving the lessons. Again, this maybe purely a case of short-sightedness when it comes to long term business. I just wondered what you guys would do if it happened to you.

Greg

well if it "happened", as in the past tense, its too late.. you missed your chance BUT be more informed for your next purchase and do some homework so you will feel better about it

cheers

Yup I learned my lesson that this LDS isn't apparently interested in my business like my other past-time shops (golf and snowmobiling) are. I probably would have done the same thing (bought from the LDS the regulators) for the reasons previously stated but I will be less inclined to give him a chance in other purchases in the future.

Thanks to everyone....... (even those that took me to the woodshed!)
greg
Merry Christmas

Bullswan:
I looked at a couple of websites this morning and found that that equates to FULL RETAIL pricing. One shop (Leisurepro) would have sold the package for $ 149.90 + 89.95 or $ 240.

What would you do if you were in this position?
Greg
Leisure pro is selling you non warranty gear, it's gray market. What would I do if I were you? Go diving and don't worry about throwing your money away online.

frank_delargy:
I guess it comes down to "comparison shop before the purchase, not after the purchase".
I try to avoid looking how much I could save after I bought something.. feels horrible.. but sometimes irresistible. I throw money at my LDSs sometimes (training, dives, small stuff, gas, travel, repair & maintenance), but buy online when the savings are big and to also get flexibility that some LDSs don't have. I do ask the LDS what they will discount and have found it not to meet my requirements most of the time. I buy used sometimes too (ebay, craigslist, scubaboard) and then pay the LDS to overhaul. That way, I think everyone wins. (me, the seller, the LDS)
I like throwing money at people as well..
Particularilly if their service is good and the delivery is quick.
Also throwing your money at the same people over time gives priceless goodwill. Despite what some people think, there is no such thing as "treating all customers the same"..

Excluding Heine sight,
I'd have the same friendly smile on my face when I explained how disappointed I was as he had when he priced the stuff the way he did. And be truthful when telling him how instead of him getting first call on my business I would now be price shopping everything to find the best product for the best price, And he would now have to compete for my business. Then leave as friends, It was just business when he made the sale and it will be just business when I shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom