Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So...it looks like my better half @Cajuncru Diver had it right!

Here's the word from the man for whom "Doc's Dive" was named - Doc Radawski at CocoView Resort:

It looks like a spotted snake eel.

Jessie found one back in January on Tulio's dive.

Happy Easter!

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski
CCV DiveOps

After looking at every fish ID book I can find and even researching GOOGLE, I would have to agree. What throws me off is that it was much smaller, but that probably accounts for some of the variation. It was probably a juvenile. That might explain why the movement was more wormlike.

So...it looks like my better half @Cajuncru Diver had it right!

Here's the word from the man for whom "Doc's Dive" was named - Doc Radawski at CocoView Resort:

It looks like a spotted snake eel.

Jessie found one back in January on Tulio's dive.

Happy Easter!

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski
CCV DiveOps

After looking at every fish ID book I can find and even researching GOOGLE, I would have to agree. What throws me off is that it was much smaller, but that probably accounts for some of the variation. It was probably a juvenile. That might explain why the movement was more wormlike.

I appreciate the word of an expert. This eel looks quite different than few Spotted Snake Eels I have seen, in color, and in number, size, and distribution of spots. Perhaps this is all explained by normal variation and age.

I'm with you @scubadada! I will defer to the expert, but it didn't behave like any spotted snake eel I have ever seen. It was much smaller and moved very slowly.

This is what I love so much about scuba diving and observing marine life. Now I get to go and do some research about the behavior of spotted snake eels and what the variations might be for juveniles :coffee: There's always something new to learn!

Beginning at 3:10 in this video is evidence of what a spotted snake eel looks like. It's about 5 or 6 times bigger than what I saw, and the coloration is different. Again, perhaps it's due to the fact that this one was a juvenile.

Beginning at 3:10 in this video is evidence of what a spotted snake eel looks like. It's about 5 or 6 times bigger than what I saw, and the coloration is different. Again, perhaps it's due to the fact that this one was a juvenile.

I believe that is a Sharptail Eel

Oops! Thanks for the clarification...

While I TRULY respect the opinion of the man himself, in this case I am going to respectfully disagree with the identification of this creature.

After leafing through my copy of "Caribbean Reef Life of the Bay Islands, Honduras", on page 136 I have definitely found what this creature is. It's called a "BASEODISCUS WORM"...not a doubt in my mind. The description is "6 ft. max. A rounded body in pastel colors, with a series of dark spots. Usually lives deep inside the reef."

Now off to do more research :)

Last edited:
While I TRULY respect the opinion of the man himself, in this case I am going to respectfully disagree with the identification of this creature.

After leafing through my copy of "Caribbean Reef Life of the Bay Islands, Honduras", on page 136 I have definitely found what this creature is. It's called a "BASEODISCUS WORM"...not a doubt in my mind. The description is "6 ft. max. A rounded body in pastel colors, with a series of dark spots. Usually lives deep inside the reef."

Now off to do more research :)
I couldn't find any pictures online, do you have one?

It's the damndest thing Craig. I can't find a picture online ANYWHERE! Nor can I find it in the Humann/Deloach ID book. It is only found in the "Caribbean Reef Life of the Bay Islands, Honduras" book, and it's a dead ringer.

I don't have a way to scan the photo...here's the book:

Caribbean Reef Life - a field guide for Caribbean diving and fish identification

Baseodiscus is a family of ribbon worms, and there is variety in the coloring. So far I have been unable to find an image of our Doc's Dive critter other than the one in "Caribbean Reef Life of the Bay Islands, Honduras"

If someone has the book and is able to scan the image, please check out page 136!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom