Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It actually looked more like a worm of some kind. I was hoping some of the guys would chime in who have seen the critter referred to as "IT". Wondering if this is similar? It was about 14-16 inches long (approx.) and had more worm-like features. It was crawling on the coral like a worm...

Was this at night ?

Maybe Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber ?

H.%20thomasi%203%20COZ%20(2).JPG

We saw this strange critter on Doc's Dive. ID anyone???

View attachment 405355

From left to right, it looks like a Spaghetti Worm, two Eels, and a Grunt. (I'm bad at fish names, better at other stuff) There could be some plankton there, too.

Okay, so the picture is kinda fuzzy and doesn't show much detail. It does look like two of them.

Better Guesses: Barring a better image, please describe it's behavior more clearly. So- they (it) was undulating and free swimming across the surface of the coral and was going into that hole ? (Which by deduction means that we're seeing the butt)

By other things in the picture I agree, it looks like it's in 45fsw.

I'm guessing it's two Eels. Of some sort. And if so, the behavior could be erratic, as they're either trying to kill each other or that other thing they do in pairs.

Was this at night ?

Maybe Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber ?

View attachment 405414

Rare as it is, and they will dart away if you stare at them, yes, that's what that RonScubas pic there is, you betcha.

They are, however, anchored in at one end, not consistent with Cajun Divas description. They're kinda sedentary but aggressively territorial. Viscous if provoked. Out day or night. Don't mess with them, I warned ya.

Last edited:
No, this was ONE creature, not two. There was no swimming involved...it was ON the coral, crawling along slowly...like a worm. The head is to the upper left and the tail is looped around making it appear there are two of them. At the lower right the body loops around and the tail can be seen about mid body. Just one creature...

We saw this strange critter on Doc's Dive. ID anyone???

View attachment 405355

Hi @CajunDiva

I would probably guess a snake eel also, but not one I have ever seen on the reef or in an ID book of the region. I would post this in the Name that Critter section of Marine Science and Physiology to get a wider group of respondents. I'd be very interested in the replies.

Good find, Craig

Thanks Craig. I would guess some type of snake eel as well, but it was smaller than a snake eel and it was crawling like a worm. Possibly a juvenile??? Our eagle-eyed divemaster and I found it, but neither of us had a clue what it was.

I tried to crop it and zoom in a bit. Obviously lost picture quality:
Cropped.JPG

Then I tried to zoom in on the head, but I now think this was the tail.
Head.JPG

Which would make this the head:
Cropped.JPG

Whatever it was, it was pretty cool :yeahbaby:

Attachments

• Head 2.JPG
    Head 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 45
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom