Information on deleted post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part, once a mod participates in a thread, they won't moderate it. There are exceptions, but they are rare and have their own set of rules.

When a lot of posts disappear, almost all of them have quoted the offending post, or one that had done so. Trying to leave messages on each post is just not realistic, so the editing mod usually leaves a post telling what they had done and possibly why.
If you mass delete posts, and it’s for the same reason, eg. “Off topic” if you click “notify poster” you can put your name or even initials in the reason

If you mass delete posts, and it’s for the same reason, eg. “Off topic” if you click “notify poster” you can put your name or even initials in the reason
The Mod left a Mod post in the thread. Wasn't that enough?

Apparently not for some because this thread exists.
I was responding to your request.

I get it. Having a post deleted can be a bit upsetting, especially if it's never happened before. It's why I'm answering questions so they can glean a bit from them.

Here's an "acid test" as to whether you really screwed up: Are you still able to post in that thread? If "yes", then take a deep breath and know you didn't do anything wrong.

However, if you feel that a particular post is abhorrent and needs to go, don't engage but report instead. This is the "Don't feed the Trolls" concept and it greatly reduces the work the mod has to do to clean things up. You know that once you post that the errant poster is way off base, they're going to reply as to why they think you're a Karen and a bicker battle ensues. It just creates more for the mod to read and deal with. Also, please don't mock the mods with posts like "DON'T DELETE ME". I'm on my way to go deal with that on the same thread. STICK to the OT (original topic) from the OP (original post) and you'll be fine. We expect some drift in a discussion, but politics and religion are only allowed in the Pub. Anywhere else and it's off-topic.

I get it. Having a post deleted can be a bit upsetting, especially if it's never happened before. It's why I'm answering questions so they can glean a bit from them.
breaks my heart.

Also, please don't mock the mods with posts like "DON'T DELETE ME". I'm on my way to go deal with that on the same thread.
Kept posting and it kept getting deleted yet still relevant, do you have a phrase that you’d prefer?

Who the heck is Pete? Well, I’m glad he took my advice on signing his edit.:yeahbaby:

breaks my heart.

Kept posting and it kept getting deleted yet still relevant, do you have a phrase that you’d prefer?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Who the heck is Pete? Well, whoever he is, I’m glad he took my advice on signing his edit.
Pete is The Chairman

Do Mods ever create whole new threads out of the excised topics of original threads?

Yes, I have seen it several times but the off-topic post and related replies have to be pretty compelling and coherently function as a stand alone thread. The new thread often has a heading added something like this:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This post and replies were split off from <name of thread>

I have never done it but I can see that it is a lot of work and usually involves fairly involved discussions between mods. As you can imagine, it is REALLY hard in a fast moving thread that is going off the rails.

Who the heck is Pete?

Check his signature line. You will see NetDoc in many older threads before the name change:

1662389852324.png

Back
Top Bottom