Instructors: teaching neutrally buoyant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking of finning techniques and DiveMasters...

Which finning techniques are DMs taught? Frog, flutter, back-finning and helicopter turns? Or do they use that kick up the sediment scissor thing?

(Asking as I have no idea. PADI don't publish any useful information like, errm, course standards. And being a "Master" would surely mean DMs know how to fin correctly?)

Which finning techniques are DMs taught?
Most DMs I see are rototillers. They do a flutter as opposed to a scissors kick.

Most DMs I see are rototillers. They do a flutter as opposed to a scissors kick.
Been a very long time since I've seen a DiveMaster in the water. Generally keep a long way from them as poor visibility trails behind them and their ducklings, e.g. inland sites.

I was never taught anything regarding kicking, either in OW course or the DM course. An instructor I met in S.C. showed me some stuff once. I can't remember what my OW instructor told our class, because I knew how to do a basic flutter kick....
I learned frog on my own, and cannot back kick (I use split fins and have been told it is possible. I tried it but not very dedicatedly as I saw no need for it).
I can do a side kick, and have actually done the helicopter turns when I took Peak Perf. Buoyancy course in 2007.
I didn't need anything besides the standard flutter (or scissors) kick to assist with OW courses for 4 years.
I haven't "helicoptered" since '07. Maybe I am just a rototiller.
But, I am a Master of everything else-- including some scuba stuff.

Talking of finning techniques and DiveMasters...

Which finning techniques are DMs taught? Frog, flutter, back-finning and helicopter turns? Or do they use that kick up the sediment scissor thing?

(Asking as I have no idea. PADI don't publish any useful information like, errm, course standards. And being a "Master" would surely mean DMs know how to fin correctly?)

PADI doesn't require any kicking techniques between ow and instructor. I can't speak for tech.

I was taught and teach frog kicking beginning in aow. I haven't certified any DMs who couldn't frog kick and hover in horizontal trim. Certainly not a requirement though.

PADI doesn't require any kicking techniques between ow and instructor. I can't speak for tech.

I was taught and teach frog kicking beginning in aow. I haven't certified any DMs who couldn't frog kick and hover in horizontal trim. Certainly not a requirement though.
If you're talking PADI, don't you have to certify them if they meet all the DM requirements? Or did the DM candidates you taught all happen to know frog kicking by chance?

If you're talking PADI, don't you have to certify them if they meet all the DM requirements? Or did the DM candidates you taught all happen to know frog kicking by chance?
I imagine there some requirements like:
A: Maintain positional control at all times, in a professional demonstration quality manner.
B: Critique and assist students in the water.

I find B difficult to do up close without ramming into people unless I use a reverse kick, hovering and associated frog kick. Doing it some other way might be viewed as not satisfying both A and B in the view of the instructor.

ETA: I forgot Padi DM is before AI. So change B to 'Assist divers in the water' without ramming into them and making whatever the situation was worse in the view of the certifying instructor.

Padi does not tech any fin techniques in the rec part up to instructor.
This is up to the instructor, if he wants to include it or not. I have never received any Tipps or techniques regarding finning. (in an official course)

@h2ogypsy

I'm certainly not the most experienced instructor, but in my short time teaching, I have come to the conclusion that teaching NB/T is primarily about proper weighting, which includes weight distribution to allow a student to float horizontally effortlessly, rising and falling with their breath.

It is quite possible to do so in the first time people put on scuba gear.

Not a requirement if I recall, but the CD running my PADI DM course held a fin workshop during one of our pool sessions. A couple of candidates didn’t have a fully reliable back kick, but all other kicks - frog, flutter, helicopter and modifications, were there. You really have no business being a DM in local waters without a good hover, trim, and a non-silting kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom