Intro to Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humba

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious about when those who dive doubles made the switch from singles. While I know I'm not ready, my assumption is that many of you do dive doubles(right or wrong). Obviously the additional complexity/setup requires a certain skill/experience level, but what are the considerations as I begin to develop my skill level?

Any feedback would be most welcome. thanks :06:

Hi humba,

I was 'introduced' to doubles April 2003 in my Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures class...and I'd recommend you get a feel for the best instructors in your area, and sign up for a class such as this which includes 'doubles' as required gear for the class.

I'm unaware of any classes strictly diving doubles......my impression is you need to select higher level classes that incorporate doubles within the training.

I'd very much advise against you doing doubles practice on your own......you'll need an experienced hand to get introduced safely.....take one or two good classes to get you going......you'll gain enormous benefit from being around 'advanced' divers and will be amazed at all the material you'll pick up that's not included in any manual.

At this point you have very little idea of how much you don't know about the subject...you need to educate yourself into a position to even ask intelligent questions...thus the classes.

( I see you live in Dallas, TX...I've done my doubles classes with Southern Scuba in Ft. Worth...Alec taught me......an excellent instructor....he actually teaches instructors to be instructors so it doesn't get any better that that!)

Karl

humba:
I'm curious about when those who dive doubles made the switch from singles. While I know I'm not ready, my assumption is that many of you do dive doubles(right or wrong). Obviously the additional complexity/setup requires a certain skill/experience level, but what are the considerations as I begin to develop my skill level?

Any feedback would be most welcome. thanks :06:

Decompression diving is normally when you are taught about doubles and manifolds. That is a tech class usually taught before basic trimix and after (or with) advanced nitrox.

The instructor will have a lot of influence over the gear you use. Some instructors will take the approach that you must choose gear from their approved list.

The first choice you need to make is whether you utilize a backplate or not. The second choice is whether you utilze a backplate-style B/C or a backplate and harness. The third choice is what type of tanks will you mount together, and what size.

Choice of manifold can be straightforward, or you might get pressured into a given manifold as well. The politics are never ending in this game.

Finally a salient question becomes what regulators to use. You will ultimately need anywhere from 3 to 6 of them. They should each be very high quality. (I will put in a plug for ScubaPro here: virtually everyone agrees that ScubaPros are the best; question is who is equal to or almost as good as ScubaPro? There are about a half dozen contenders!)

You need to decide what size wing(s) to select. There are several schools of thought, mostly unreconcilable.

Whether you breathe from your long hose reg or curl it up and make it accessible on the side of your tank for your buddy also gets debated. Instructor choice.

Whether you isolate first or dink around in the event of a major gas failure is another topic as well.

Once you have your advanced trimix card, then you are finally free. Then you can choose for yourself how you will configure. But depending on the guys you dive with, will depend on whether your own changes to the way you were taught will be tolerated by them. The main guy to worry about is the owner or captain of the boat.

That is what you are getting into, in the world of double tank diving. Enjoy!

indigo blue
why do you need 3-6 regs?
I have read you need 2 regs for doubles ,1 for deco bottle
what are the other 3 for?

s7595:
indigo blue
why do you need 3-6 regs?
I have read you need 2 regs for doubles ,1 for deco bottle
what are the other 3 for?

In blue's place, I would really have no idea.

Speaking generally, you can have two for backgas, one for argon, two for deco and one for travel gas. Blue may also have a spare air

MD

IndigoBlue:
Decompression diving is normally when you are taught about doubles and manifolds. That is a tech class usually taught before basic trimix and after (or with) advanced nitrox.

The instructor will have a lot of influence over the gear you use. Some instructors will take the approach that you must choose gear from their approved list.

The first choice you need to make is whether you utilize a backplate or not. The second choice is whether you utilze a backplate-style B/C or a backplate and harness. The third choice is what type of tanks will you mount together, and what size.

Choice of manifold can be straightforward, or you might get pressured into a given manifold as well. The politics are never ending in this game.

Finally a salient question becomes what regulators to use. You will ultimately need anywhere from 3 to 6 of them. They should each be very high quality. (I will put in a plug for ScubaPro here: virtually everyone agrees that ScubaPros are the best; question is who is equal to or almost as good as ScubaPro? There are about a half dozen contenders!)

You need to decide what size wing(s) to select. There are several schools of thought, mostly unreconcilable.

That is what you are getting into, in the world of double tank diving. Enjoy!

Fortunately, I found this board prior to buying equipment. Over the winter, I evaluated and finally spent $$$$$$ on a Halcyon eclipse/mc pack/SS bp with a 30# wing. Now that I've had some time to become familiar with it (it REALLY feels great:), especially after using soo many ill fitting jackets). Now I've moved on to my reg evaluation/purchase. Apeks ds4/ATX vs. sp G250/Mk? vs atomic B1/......Rather than stir up any brand loyalty discussions, am I correct that I need DIN instead of yoke, and when I dive carribbean, they have been almost exclusively yoke. If so, then I need a din-to-yoke adapter, and do they cause an additional point of failure.
And, after all of this, find an instructor (thanks Scubafanatic) that I can train with.
Do most of you dive dry? Is it an important consideration with doubles? Did everybody have to get a second job to pay for all of this??:)

Thanks...

humba:
Fortunately, I found this board prior to buying equipment. Over the winter, I evaluated and finally spent $$$$$$ on a Halcyon eclipse/mc pack/SS bp with a 30# wing. Now that I've had some time to become familiar with it (it REALLY feels great:), especially after using soo many ill fitting jackets). Now I've moved on to my reg evaluation/purchase. Apeks ds4/ATX vs. sp G250/Mk? vs atomic B1/......Rather than stir up any brand loyalty discussions, am I correct that I need DIN instead of yoke, and when I dive carribbean, they have been almost exclusively yoke. If so, then I need a din-to-yoke adapter, and do they cause an additional point of failure.
And, after all of this, find an instructor (thanks Scubafanatic) that I can train with.
Do most of you dive dry? Is it an important consideration with doubles? Did everybody have to get a second job to pay for all of this??:)

Thanks...

All the regulators you listed are excellent.

Yes to DIN
Yes to adaptor. Don't worry about the failure point for rec diving.
You dive dry in cold water to stay warm.
Diving dry is important for STEEL doubles. Not so for alum.
Being wealthy helps. If you have two jobs you never have time to dive.

MD

IndigoBlue:
(I will put in a plug for ScubaPro here: virtually everyone agrees that ScubaPros are the best; question is who is equal to or almost as good as ScubaPro? There are about a half dozen contenders!)

Yeah ... except for those people who think that Apeks, Poseidon, Mares, Atomic, Zeagle, or Aqualung are the best ... and I'm sure I left a few out.

There are many excellent lines of reg out there ... ScubaPro just happens to be one of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom